Why is the SureFire C2 so good?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since the topic of HA finish has been mentioned in a few posts, it is worth noting that there have been a few (pretty rare) special-edition versions of the C2 in HA-BK

Coppet

Newly Enlightened
Is there an overview of the different C2/M2 versions somewhere in the wide world of the internet? I have seen other colors besides grey and black, including C2 Surefires in camouflage and I'm not sure if these are additional coatings.

ven

Flashaholic
£120 is a proud price for a black C2 and I personally like the HA III coating better than the black one. And my C2 cost me only half as much and also has a clicky tailcap (Z58?) which I like very much, especially with multimode DropIns. But I think the prices for C2, C3 and Z2 will go up rather than down in the future but I guess that doesn't stop real fans from buying it :)

Its not actually a bad price IMO, black c2's are harder to find than(my actual preferred) HA flavours. I dont need, nor will i use it and have 3 x c2's already. So i am doing ok resisting so far haha. It might be the 1st black c2 i have seen in the UK, maybe 1 of 3 total on ebay over the years.

My most expensive c2 was the precisionworks one, 2x tritium, bored . Cant remember cost now with shipping, but $250 ish. Then cryos bezel, that was around $80 for the larger z32. Triad tail maybe $60 ish, then shipping. Prob not far off $400 before the p60 inside. But its a keeper:)

I have a beater z2 what i use on work, trust me for it to be a low serial no as well. So for work, a 6p sportac 219 triple, EDC+ xp-g2 triple and G2 with a 219b 5700k iirc. Then the tidy/mint ones are at home , used but kind of babied as well.
dIqMll7l.jpg

stuart

Newly Enlightened
To me the C2 and E2e in OD green are what I think of when I think of Surefire. Had a C2 for years, sold it because I loved it so much that I never used it. Don't mind beating up the 6p. The C2 was just too beautiful to use.

Coppet

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't aware that a C2 in black is rather rare, I got my first Surefire just a few weeks ago, so good to know:thumbsup:
Starting with P60 I started with Solarforce hosts but since my first Surefire 6P I have been a fan of these flashlights because the quality and feel convinced me.
The 6P is already my favorite and outperforms my Solarforce flashlights. But the C2 is for me personally the most beautiful and as you already say, the flats , grip and clip are ingenious.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't aware that a C2 in black is rather rare, I got my first Surefire just a few weeks ago, so good to know:thumbsup:
Starting with P60 I started with Solarforce hosts but since my first Surefire 6P I have been a fan of these flashlights because the quality and feel convinced me.
The 6P is already my favorite and outperforms my Solarforce flashlights. But the C2 is for me personally the most beautiful and as you already say, the flats , grip and clip are ingenious.

The C2-BK in type II is not rare, but fairly uncommon. The C2-HA (my favorite) is the more common of the two.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the topic of HA finish has been mentioned in a few posts, it is worth noting that there have been a few (pretty rare) special-edition versions of the C2 in HA-BK

The only Surefire factory C2-BK in hard anodize (type III) that I'm aware of that you could buy is the Emerson model, the C2-EM that came with the knife. I have a numbered light/knife set. These were out around 2003.

I vaguely remember there being others though. Surefire did all kinds of random one off things in those years. Or a few for certain companies, or awards. I've seen S&W versions, and all kinds of different lights that weren't advertised or generally sold to the public.

I think Oveready may have done a custom run of C2's and HA type III black at one time. Not sure.. don't remember.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
The C2-BK in type II is not rare, but fairly uncommon. The C2-HA (my favorite) is the more common of the two.

I would be interested to see comparative production numbers on those. I do think more C2-HA were produced than C2-BK, but maybe not so lopsided as we often speculate ?

My guess is that the C2-BK have *recently* gotten much harder to find, possibly due to higher collecting demand.

I remember when I was looking for another C3 a few years ago, that the C3-BK was rather more plentiful than the C3-HA. Anyway, it is interesting, to me at least.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested to see comparative production numbers on those. I do think more C2-HA were produced than C2-BK, but maybe not so lopsided as we often speculate ?

My guess is that the C2-BK have *recently* gotten much harder to find, possibly due to higher collecting demand.

I remember when I was looking for another C3 a few years ago, that the C3-BK was rather more plentiful than the C3-HA. Anyway, it is interesting, to me at least.

Yes, I was going to mention this. The C3-BK almost always seemed more common than the C3-HA for some reason. I don't think it's that lopsided with the C2-BK/C2-HA either, but I just never remember seeing that many C2-BK lights around compared to C2-HA, going from the gray box all the way up to the clamshell packaging days when most incans were discontinued. My preference has always been for the HA lights, so in general I have always gotten rid of the BK lights unless they were special editions, or VERY rare lights, light my round body C2-BK with press fit lexan bezel.

ven

Flashaholic
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by stuart

Don't mind beating up the 6p. The C2 was just too beautiful to use.
I can understand that, it's the same with me:)

Easy solution guys, keep the mint ones for best, get beaters to.......beat! Thats what i have done, i love my SF's and if i need to use a torch, i want it to be a surefire.
Work G2(still mint)older pic before swapping bezel back to OE.
0Zw4Ubil.jpg

Others(the C2 from Peter and has had new bezel,tail cap and McClicky. This is in the glove box now,
Glove box lights
wAYur47l.jpg

the 6p/z2 and g2 are work lights. The c2 bezel off the g2 now lives on the c2(glove box one)
r0ioELal.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have a C2 HA LED. Same body as incan models. I seldom use it . Don't want to abuse it. I do use my Z2's. C2''s are just beautiful to me.

Bill

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by stuart

Don't mind beating up the 6p. The C2 was just too beautiful to use.

Easy solution guys, keep the mint ones for best, get beaters to.......beat! Thats what i have done, i love my SF's and if i need to use a torch, i want it to be a surefire.

Exactly, but I find it hard to make any Surefire a beater, even a G2 or 6P. My carry, nightstand and glovebox Surefires are still taken care of. I don't worry about scrapes or scratches on them, but I don't try and put any on either.

ven

Flashaholic
Exactly, but I find it hard to make any Surefire a beater, even a G2 or 6P. My carry, nightstand and glovebox Surefires are still taken care of. I don't worry about scrapes or scratches on them, but I don't try and put any on either.

I have cheated on that ampdude, i have bought the odd one with a little wear on it. It takes away the 1st ding/dent/scrape misery :ohgeez:. I am just continuing the surefires history, building a more battered future:)

I dont go out of my way though, i always look after my gear/tools regardless. But the ones at home, although some have been to work here and there, do get babied and extra looking after. By that, if i need to get under the car, it wont be a mint surefire in hand. Camping, dog walks , use around house, good to go!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have cheated on that ampdude, i have bought the odd one with a little wear on it. It takes away the 1st ding/dent/scrape misery :ohgeez:. I am just continuing the surefires history, building a more battered future:)

I dont go out of my way though, i always look after my gear/tools regardless. But the ones at home, although some have been to work here and there, do get babied and extra looking after. By that, if i need to get under the car, it wont be a mint surefire in hand. Camping, dog walks , use around house, good to go!

Yes, for sure. But I realize if I put a nice crack in the glass of a user KT head for example, it's not gonna be easy to find replacement glass. So I look at it that way. Or certain replacement bulbs if I get low on them. I'm probably one of the weirdest C series fans out there though. I prefer the round body C3 over the flat body C3, but I prefer the flat body C2 over the round body C2. Something about the grip angle I don't know what it is. Or maybe I just got so used to the round body C3's back in the day and never used the C2's all that much. For smaller lights I was usually using the G2 when I wasn't using an E2/E2e. The C3's were my "serious" light. My magnum!

Last edited: