Why low mode first on LED lights? Suggestions?

bansuri

Enlightened
stp, well said. I'm sure a lot of SC600 users can relate to the "now I HAVE to use high mode" syndrome when first figuring it the timing of the switch. Quick click= 600lm. The low level on the SC600 is very useful when your eyes are adapted, even a little brighter than I'd like for some things. However if you accidentally blast 600 lumens for even a second the low mode is no longer useful.

jbrett14

Enlightened
If repair and work is your main usage scenario, then you should check H51 (or H502 - I don't have it, so I can't personally recommend it) There is nothing better than having two free hands when you work on something and additionally always having the light pointed in direction when you are looking.

I have the H502 and you are spot on, "There is nothing better than having two free hands when you work on something and additionally always having the light pointed in direction when you are looking"

I can think of no better headlamp for working on plumbing or electrical, or setting up camp, etc. However, my focus for this thread was in regards to an EDC hand held flashlight that would not necessarily be used for all day work, but for simply checking things out. E.g. Looking into a 20' long crawl space, or if I pop my head up into a dark attic and need to see some framing at the other end of the attic, 40' away, or if I need a beam of light to shine 10' down between 2 studs in a wall, or if I need to check on that racoon 20' up in the tree, etc. These are my everyday moments that I need a pocket light, not my headlight. That headlamp is a GREAT light for FLOOD use, but it's horrible for the things I just described (everday use type stuff).

Now I realize, more now than prior to starting this thread, that MY use is likely not as common as I had previously believed. There have been some good points about why one would want their light to turn on in low mode (a movie theater worker for example).

jbrett14

Enlightened
- I don't know where and how you live but most of us sleep around 8 hours per day which leaves 16 hours. In all places on earth you will be in the dark for some time during that 16 hours at last part of the year. So I don't really understand the you are awake when it's bright argument.

Let me clarify. During those 16 hours, only a few (3 or 4) are during hours of darkness. So, for 12 to 13 hours, while I am carrying out my normal day-to-day activities (mostly work), it's bright outside and my eyes are adapted to that brightness. Therefore, it is necessary that my light come on HIGH so that I can see what it is I need to see.

As for bedside use, I assumed that ALL "flashaholics" had designated lights for that, apart from their EDC lights. I can understand not wanting to wake the wife at night with a HIGH beam of light. Again, I just assumed that MOST of us had other lights that we used for bedside use. My bad.

I think where I went wrong, is assuming that I was part of the average flock of people. But now I realize that the average person is not self-employed and does not need to see the things that I need to. So, I guess I am in the minority of folks who much prefer their EDC light to come on in HIGH.

Jonny

stp

Newly Enlightened
I have the H502 (...)

That headlamp is a GREAT light for FLOOD use, but it's horrible for the things I just described (everday use type stuff).

Now I realize, more now than prior to starting this thread, that MY use is likely not as common as I had previously believed. There have been some good points about why one would want their light to turn on in low mode (a movie theater worker for example).

I guess it's because we look differently at what is perfect EDC light. You want from your EDC specific things tailored for very specific usage and for other needs you are using other lights: H502d and I guess that you have some bed-side light too and probably some more too.
For me the perfect EDC light should be universal and should do many things good enough because often it will be the only light I have access to. And I like to be prepared for most scenarios without knowing about them in advance. This is why I use H51 with dc-fix. If I need flood head light for close-up work it's good enough for me but I know that H502 would probably work in that scenario better.
If I need more throw to lit that attic it's good enough too. If I need even more throw to illuminate other side of the garden then I remove dc-fix and it's good enough for me.
In each scenario some other light would be better but I prefer to make some compromise because I don't want to carry/care about/buy more lights and my EDC in most cases is good enough for me. The only scenario I meet from time to time when my EDC fails is when I need even more throw to reach other side of the lake for example. But it isn't often enough to warrant buying something like DEFT EDC (not that I wouldn't like to own it, it's just to expensive for my frugal mind ;-)

As you can see it's more about how we define good EDC light than our different usage scenarios.

PS. I would like to point one more thing: When you need high and light comes on low there is no hurt done to anyone except you need to wiggle with your light some more (but of course I understand that if you are using mostly high then the wiggling each time may be pain in the ***) but when you need low and the light comes on high then it's already to late because you lost your adaptation already.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
PS. I would like to point one more thing: When you need high and light comes on low there is no hurt done to anyone except you need to wiggle with your light some more (but of course I understand that if you are using mostly high then the wiggling each time may be pain in the ***) but when you need low and the light comes on high then it's already to late because you lost your adaptation already.

Good point for sure. I think my circumstances may certainly be in the minority, as most of the time I need high mode and only high mode. Going from low to high is not a major effort, as several have pointed out, it's just that we flashaholics can be VERY picky when it comes to this stuff. And my pick is that if I'm going to spend a chunk of cash on a quality light, I want it to do what I want it to do. ZebraLight solves this issue for ALL users with their outstanding UI. If it wasn't for that darn accidental activation, I wouldn't even be considering another light that comes on in high mode.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
The participants in this forum are Flashaholics, so we understand why L-M-H is preferable.

Joe Everyman thinks brighter is better, and for him it probably is.

To each their own. How nice to have such a wide range of choices.

For me, the L-M-H of the Preon Revo still can't be beat.

Empire

Banned
The participants in this forum are Flashaholics, so we understand why L-M-H is preferable.

Thanks for this post.

jbrett14

Enlightened

Photon, just curious, on an average DAY, what do you use your EDC light for?

Joe Everyman, and I am no longer a flashaholic, apparently.

Undark

Newly Enlightened
Here's another one with a strong preference for low-first lights. Not only are they easier on the eyes (in complete darkness) it also helps saving precious energy.
The short blast of light that is emitted while cycling through the high and medium modes wastes a lot of low or moonlight battery life.

In my collection you'll find just one or two H-M-L or M-L-H lights and I've almost never used them for exactly that reason. Should I find myself in a situation where I have to rely on a single light with a single set of batteries I would be after maximum runtime.

chanjyj

Enlightened
I prefer H/M/L. When I need crazy amounts of light, one click and it's there.
If I wanted low output I would put it against my shirt and cycle down through the modes - no problem (please don't tell me you have a light with 7 modes, 1 strobe, 1 SOS... you get the drift).

But either way I can cope. I just prefer high first.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I'm not the typical flashaholic, but I prefer a single flashlight that can do everything I need (plus a back-up), so my EDC is a high CRI Rotary. It gives me the super low 0.08 lumen mode which doesn't kill my eyes when used in the middle of the night, and it goes all the way up to 120 lumens when I need to light up my whole backyard, plus everything in between, easily selectable with the dial. For me, it's the perfect EDC.

heh heh, reading about you praising and using your cri rotary just makes it more painful for me who probably will wait two or more months for mine...

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the OP considered the Mini Maglite Pro LED? They're relatively inexpensive, powered by 2xAA batteries, and come on high (rated 236 lumens) unless the head is deliberately pointed down when turning on, in which case you'll get low (probably around 60 lumens). They're great little flashlights for the money and seem to fit the criteria. If you want something a little more compact, the Maglite XL50 is about 2-inches shorter, powered by 3xAAA batteries, and defaults to high mod (rated 100 lumens) when first turned on. If you want more features then there's also the XL100 with a novel motion controlled interface and the XL200 which uses a series of clicks to activate different modes.

Or if you want the very best of the best, get an HDS Clicky or Rotary and program it so that it defaults to high -- or in the case of Rotary, just turn the dial all the way to right and you'll get high mode every time with the option of easily reducing the output by turning it to the left, no programming required.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself appreciating two-mode lights where you can adjust which mode it turns on in. For example, Quark tactical interface. I find if I set the loose setting to medium (20 lumens or so) I can accomplish most tasks using this setting alone. For me, a sub 5-lumen low is not useful and will usually be passed over. I agree with the OP, for a light that you carry during the day, higher output is usually sensible. Perhaps my eyes are not as sensitive as others on here so I don't understand complaints of medium light levels being uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, if I'm night-adapted I can see around on a fraction of a lumen, but it doens't hurt my eyes to blast 20, 50 or even 200. Have you never woken up and turned on the lights? It isn't that big of a deal.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have nothing to add to this discussion other than that which mode you want your light to start on is really personal preference. Because it is personal preference I will not try to convince you that low first lights are the way to go nor would I expect you to try to convince me that high first lights are more logical. I've already made up my mind which I prefer and nothing posted here will change my mind just like nothing posted here will cause you to change your mind.

Despite the fact that I EDC flashlights 24/7 I prefer Low-Medium-High lights because I hate having the high mode blind me when I first turn it on and I hate having to compensate for it. I've learned to hate my Quark 123T due to preflash, which is, essentially, having the higher mode come on briefly before the mode I was expecting. Having enough light for the task at hand is a simple matter of cycling through the modes until I'm there. If I use my EDC light after dark (what a concept!) I don't need to worry about it coming on in a higher mode than I needed, first.