World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

xury

Newly Enlightened
I I'm interested in being on the list also. How do I sign up?

This light looks great!

Thanks!

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys. I am having to use my phone to access the internet right now because a virus killed my computer yesterday. I tried to respond to a PM and failed. Will try again later. Until I get proper internet back up though it will be tough to respond to everyone quickly so please understand. Thanks

BenjiBot

Enlightened
Michael, this is a great development. I'm really pleased you've addressed your production problems while still retaining your production principles and design integrity. I'm as happy with my DEFT Enthusiast as I was the day I received it, truly a great great light and a great great build. I would like a FTP and look forward to an opportunity to send you my money!!

Subscribed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erich1B

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested in one of these lights myself. What do I need to do to get added to a list for purchase when available?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I finally got my computer back up. Thanks csshih for offering to help with the computer. I had to wipe it clean in the end because the repair just wouldn't work. Then I couldn't get online because the drivers were not on the applications disk. Grrr. Anyway that's done and we can move on. That said I have a lot of stuff built up from missing the internet for a few days and it will take me a bit to get all caught up. Here goes. It's a long one folks.

thanks for the link. I was hoping for more of the common production lights like the tiablo A9 apheric and the dereelight aspheric. no doubt luxluthor wrote a great review, but he compared modded maglites, and lights that cost more than my entire collection put together. :faint:
I am not aware of a side-by-side test of the other aspherics and the DEFT but the mag aspherics should be on par with the Tiablo and Dereelight so I think the comparison is still valid. That said it would be interesting to see someone "compare" them. Anyone?

Awesome. I know I'm already on the list for one but I wanted to know if you'll be making any more pills for the DEFT-enthusiast?
Yes I plan to make replacement pills when I find something better than the XR-E R2. It has yet to happen. That said if you see something you would like made into a pill let me know and I'll see if I can make it for you.

Hi all, I received my FTP on Friday. Thanks Michael. I think I received the first FTP! I haven't had too much time to play with it, but my initial impressions are positive. I have no experience with the previous DEFT or with any aspheric. My two longest throwers before this are the DBS v3 and a M1x. The FTP certainly throws like mad... I wasn't quite prepared for the chromatic abberations around the edge of the beam. I knew they were going to be there, but just not to this extent. That said, when the DEFT is being used at distances where my other lights won't reach, the colorful edge is not that noticeable. The R2 WH tint is great. The build quality seems fine. The new bezel is nice - it's kind of like really firm rubber. It's got just a bit of give. It seems like it would actaully offer protection to the lens.

Overall it's about the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. I plan to use this for my job (law enforcement). It's got some interesting applications I think.

Dave
Can't wait to hear more feedback from you. Will contact you next week hopefully to see what you thought of the extras. The next four days are going to be very busy for me as I have several speaking engagements over the next four days.

Whoah - they are shipping already??? Sweet!

It would be awesome if I got a chance to place my order before the end of the month - will be doing some serious backpacking where I'd get deep enough in the dark scary woods to really play with a light with that kind of throw. I can only hope.... ;)
You just might get your wish. I plan to put the first batch up for sale next Wednesday or Thursday. I should have 17-20 lights on offer.

May I be on your email notification list please? :thanks: My email is ********** .

I I'm interested in being on the list also. How do I sign up? My email is *********** .

This light looks great!

Thanks!
I got both of your email addresses so if you want to change your post and take out your address you can.

Michael, this is a great development. I'm really pleased you've addressed your production problems while still retaining your production principles and design integrity. I'm as happy with my DEFT Enthusiast as I was the day I received it, truly a great great light and a great great build. I would like a FTP and look forward to an opportunity to send you my money!!

Subscribed :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I look forward to receiving your money.:thumbsup: Glad the honeymoon isn't over. It's not over for me either. There's just nothing else like going outside on a dark night and reaching out to "touch" something half a mile away. It's kind of empowering don't you think?

Nice, clean update with no loss of functionality. Great work again! BTW, check the coffee thread :thumbsup:
Thanks Lux. It's a good thing to have your approval.:cool: And will do.

I would be interested in one of these lights myself. What do I need to do to get added to a list for purchase when available?

I also would like one of these lights and will be waching for notification that a batch is ready for purchase.

I too would like to get in line for when the next batch is ready for purchase.

Look around here next Wednesday or Thursday for the first batch to be available. It will be first come first served. For normal production I plan to only use R2 WH to simplify the build instead of having the myriads of options like the old light. That said the first batch will have some variants. The first batch will consist of;

8 Q3 3A(neutral tint)
4 Q5 WC
2 R2 WH
3 R2 WH high output

As you may have noticed I have taken beamshots already. The beamshots in the first post of this thread were of the high output R2, Q5, and Q3 3A. The Q3 in that picture however had an issue with it's driver and was slightly dimmer than it should be. The beamshots in the second post show the Q5, R2, and Q3 side by side with the new drivers. I was amazed how well the Q3 did next to the R2 as it held it's own despite being a warmer tint and therefore lower bin. It will please those who prefer the neutral tints.

The R2 high outputs are hybrids. They use the drivers out of the Enthusiast model which ran the LED harder and have better regulation along with a special mcpcb that has a solid copper core. It is my own design. I drill out the center of a normal mcpcb and solder a small copper slug directly to the back of the LED so that it can handle the higher currents better. It is a much more elegant solution than the old way. Well at least from a production perspective anyway.

So that's pretty much it folks. The lights are done except for a little bit of polishing on some lenses and boxing up. Thanks everyone!

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R2 high outputs are hybrids. They use the drivers out of the Enthusiast model which ran the LED harder and have better regulation along with a special mcpcb that has a solid copper core. It is my own design. I drill out the center of a normal mcpcb and solder a small copper slug directly to the back of the LED so that it can handle the higher currents better. It is a much more elegant solution than the old way. Well at least from a production perspective anyway.

If the drivers are from the Enthusiast model, are you just clearing out old stock, or will these be available on a more continuous basis?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the drivers are from the Enthusiast model, are you just clearing out old stock, or will these be available on a more continuous basis?
Clearing out old stock. I have enough drivers to make maybe three more but beyond that I don't know. That is not in the plans but if enough people wanted it I suppose I will entertain the idea. We really need to keep things as simple as possible though so...:shrug:

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Hello again, Michael.

If available, I would love an R2 WH high output model. I would definately be interested in getting in line for one if need be. Please consider this my "I'll take it!" for an R2 high output.

John

D

Deleted member 97529

Hi! How many amperes is the DEFT R2 WH high output driven at? How may this affect its lifespan? Moreover, how many lumens can it emit versus the regular output R2 WH? :thanks:

Update: What is going on with the DEFT order at http://omglumens.com/Order.aspx?ID=DEFT? It is apparently cheaper then ordering at this website.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Update: What is going on with the DEFT order at http://omglumens.com/Order.aspx?ID=DEFT? It is apparently cheaper then ordering at this website.

Saabluster mentioned a few times in the enthusiast threads that the OMG website was not current...notice that you will not be able to actually place an order for a $150 DEFT when you click "add to cart". This is currently the official/only source for Michael's creation unless you contact him directly.

Websites are great, but we already have a multitude of information and discussion about the DEFT here at CPF.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi! How many amperes is the DEFT R2 WH high output driven at? How may this affect its lifespan? Moreover, how many lumens can it emit versus the regular output R2 WH? :thanks:

The "high output" driver runs about 1.5-1.6A. The new driver runs at 1.4A. LEDs do not just blow like normal bulbs so don't worry about that. LEDs dim with age and the more power going to them the faster they dim. I do run the LEDs very hard but even still you probably will not be able to use the light enough to see the dip in output as it will take years. Don't worry about it. I have taken step to make sure the LED has enough heatsinking to have a reasonable life span.

The website is as jsholli says non functional for all but contacting me. It will remain that way until I feel I can fulfill orders as they come in.(as in when I have stock)

Apollo Cree

Enlightened

I believe the $150 DEFT is the previous generation, not the updated light being discussed on this thread.

savumaki

Enlightened
I had a Tiablo A9 which was great when it was working however I wanted a bit more from a thrower (that I could afford) and the Deft fits the bill; except that now things are a lot tighter and I will have to wait: hmmmm, maybe I'll have to consider parting with one or two SF's.
This sure does look sweet. :faint:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping my eyes out for the DEFT -FTP High Output!!:devil:

D

Deleted member 97529

May my order be for the DEFT R2 WH high output please? Thanks!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thank you guys for your enthusiasm but the first come first served will start as soon as I officially put them up for sale. I understand if you just want to show your preference just don't consider it as an official place-setter.:thumbsup: Thanks. I will go ahead and narrow it down to Thursday afternoon(Dallas time). That should give me enough time to be sure they are completely ready to go. I will send a notification out to those on the email notification list so you don't have to wear out your F5 button on CPF.