World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

D

Deleted member 97529

We still have to wear out our F5 buttons on our emails. :D

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang. I hate formatting computers and having to start from anew. Allot of time spent!

I have a Dereelight aspheric and Tiablo aspheric and I would be able to compare them, but I have absolutely no funds due to being too generous over the holidays!

Hoping others will take lots of pictures!

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
how will the DEFT FTP stack up with the dereelight and tiablo aspheric?? anybody have a guess,some better or a lot better???:devil:

Last edited:

stub

Newly Enlightened
Michael,
I would like to get in line as a backup for DEFT R2 WH high output please and if they are all gone then I would like a DEFT Q5 WC.

thanks
stub

decra

Newly Enlightened
dang. I hate formatting computers and having to start from anew. Allot of time spent!

I have a Dereelight aspheric and Tiablo aspheric and I would be able to compare them, but I have absolutely no funds due to being too generous over the holidays!

Hoping others will take lots of pictures!

Craig, what are your thoughts about the tiablo vs. dereelight aspherics? I couldn't find the dereelight on your long distance thread. Is it on a DBS?
More to the point, when are you lucky (ahem)... gentlemen with an FTP going post some reviewage? I'm looking at you, BolderDave.
BTW Michael, I think you've really hit this market nail on the head. It's a great way to get into the Flashaholism. Excellent work.
Evatt

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
fhenixlynx wrote, "how will the DEFT FTP stack up with the dereelight and tiablo aspheric?? . . ."

Answer (my opinion only):

I have the DEFT Enthusiast (the last batch made) and I don't think the two latter lights will be in the same class as the FTP. Doing the white wall comparison, the DEFT hot spot is smaller and brighter than the Tiablo. And I do like my Tiablo aspheric.

Michael, am I correct that you can do minor adjustments with the head to get the emitter in focus?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
fhenixlynx wrote, "how will the DEFT FTP stack up with the dereelight and tiablo aspheric?? . . ."

Answer (my opinion only):

I have the DEFT Enthusiast (the last batch made) and I don't think the two latter lights will be in the same class as the FTP. Doing the white wall comparison, the DEFT hot spot is smaller and brighter than the Tiablo. And I do like my Tiablo aspheric.

Michael, am I correct that you can do minor adjustments with the head to get the emitter in focus?
DV how close were your white wall tests? I ask as unless you tested the beam at 30' or more you are not really seeing the "real" beam. Yes you can adjust the focus by screwing the head in or out and playing with the depth of the pre-collimator but again you want it to be in focus when the beam is at 30' or greater not a few feet in front of you. Can you go outside and take some beamshots for us?

Some educated guessing leads me to believe the DEFT has about three times the lux numbers of the Tiablo or Dereelight aspherics. That said it will not throw three times as far since, if I remember right, you have to have four times the lux to have twice the throw. The DEFT definitely is a different class of thrower.

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
DV how close were your white wall tests? I ask as unless you tested the beam at 30' or more you are not really seeing the "real" beam. Yes you can adjust the focus by screwing the head in or out and playing with the depth of the pre-collimator but again you want it to be in focus when the beam is at 30' or greater not a few feet in front of you.

+1 on the distance variable

I adjusted my beam for 30 yards by loosening the head some, but at 100 yards, I had to tighten the head back down to get the beam the tightest [note: the long distance 'setting' was how my DEFT arrived...]

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, what are your thoughts about the tiablo vs. dereelight aspherics? I couldn't find the dereelight on your long distance thread. Is it on a DBS?

Hey Evatt,
The aspheric outperforms the tiablo in both quality in throw to me. It doesn't matter if it's on a DBS or a CL1H body.. they're the same except for the labeling (it's the head that is different, but we swap it out for an aspheric head). I have to head to my friend's house sometime. I've been relatively busy.

I do believe that the DEFT will no doubt outperform both as it has the pre-collimator, and (from what I've seen) has a higher quality optic.

hope I didn't bring this thread toward the discussion of other lights too much. back to the DEFT FTP!
quite playing with your lights, I demand more beamshots! :D

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Saabluster wrote, "DV how close were your white wall tests? I ask as unless you tested the beam at 30' or more you are not really seeing the "real" beam . . ."

My house is a 40' x 40' box. The wall I do some of my impromptu tests is up to about 30'. So looks like it meets your minimum distance to see the "real" beam.

notsofast

Enlightened
Sorry for the off topic post but I want to make sure that I can post without an administrator approval. Gearing up for the "race to buy" this afternoon

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok this is it. I have 17 lights in this batch. They are as follows.

-3 High-output R2 WH Price $249
on these I will allow you to pick which one you want. There is a cooler white, one with what I would call vanilla tint, and a very warm WH.

Price on the three below are all $199

-2 Standard R2 WH

-4 Q5 WC

-8 Q3 3A

The high output R2s are priced higher because the drivers are harder to assemble and they have a proprietary copper core mcpcb. The area under the die is directly soldered to copper. I also tried to use the best of the lenses that I made for these. This is sort of a hybrid between the old model and the new.

As you guys might have noticed from the pictures in the second post of this thread the Q3 3A gives very little ground to the Q5 and R2. For those that value neutral tints this is a fine choice. There is almost no difference in visibility regardless of the tint bin picked.

How to order

Since there are options on this batch it is a little more difficult. Send me an email at "omglumens at g mail dot com" with "DEFT FTP order" in the subject line. In the email you will need to list what you want in the order you want it. If you really want the HO but will take a Q5 then for example put..

1 HO R2
2 Q5

If you only put one option on your list and someone else claims what you wanted first than you will not be receiving a light on this round. The more options you put down the more likely you are to receive a light.

You also need to provide me with your zip code if you live in the US or, if outside the US, your country so I can calculate shipping. Everything I ship goes via USPS Priority w/ insurance. As always I put the full value of the light on the customs forms and will not under any circumstances do otherwise. That means if you live in a country other than the US you will most likely be obliged to pay a customs fee. Residents of Texas will also be responsible for any state sales tax.

So the two things the email should contain are what you want and where you live.

After I have had time to figure out who gets what I will send you an email to let you know what your total is and payment instructions. After I send the return email with the total you have 24 hours to remit payment. The lights are boxed up and ready to go. Shipping will happen Friday if your payment is quick enough. Otherwise it will ship on Monday.

If more than one person claims a specific light then the one with the earliest time stamp on the email will get it. Note that I will not accept any order through PM on this round as my inbox may not be able to handle it. It must be through email.

I will try and update the thread as I can to let you know where we stand on availability. Thanks everyone! -Michael

Hammer Train

Banned
Email bud. I tried emailing you but it bounced back.

Thanks, just read the post properly - in my haste I didn't read your post fully! I've emailed from my gmail account, I think the one you may have had is the old one Maybe I still got there in time, we'll see...