Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

LGT

Enlightened
Re: Why do you EDC a light?

Lives were saved on 9/11 in WTC because some one had a light. You never know. That's why I edc.
Very good reason. I also remember passengers on the Costa Concordia bemoaning the fact that they were crawling through pitch black hallways on the listing ship. Not every need for an EDC will be as dire as these scenarios. But better to have and not need then to need and not have.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I EDC because smaller pocket lights are so tiny and powerful, that it just makes sense.

I EDC a SAK SwissChamp, a small Seecamp .32acp pistol, a pack of gum, a wallet, my keychain with a small light on it and a small SAK, so carrying a smaller light just works for me.

Like the Boy Scouts' motto states: always be prepared!

Chris

threepercent

Newly Enlightened

I EDC my Nitecore pd12 as I am commuting through mountain-ish areas and never want to be caught without light (just in case), but also for use in my position as an LEO.

GregY

Newly Enlightened

Because I can't see in the dark. And I often find myself needing to see things that are.... wait for it.... in the dark.

Dark is sneaky and hides in all kinds of places. Certain times of day they even let the dark out and it gets *everywhere*.

Last edited:

ACruceSalus

Enlightened

So what about the rest of the day?

Usually sleeping until around noon and then it starts over again. Today was an outlier in that I was asleep by 2 and up by 7. So most of my waking hours are during the night. This schedule has its advantages and disadvantages.

I just realized I misunderstood your question. I have a form of agnosia where I sometimes don't recognize a specific object in a group of objects. I know what I'm look for and what the object looks like but I can't distinguish it from the other objects. It is a lot like walking into a room full of people having conversations but being unable to filter out all conversations except the one that you want to hear. One way to hear that conversation is to increase its volume to the point where you can understand it. The flashlight acts similarly in that it visually increases the "volume" of each object as I scan them and helps me find the one I'm looking for.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

I EDC a light - fenix PD22 or Fenix E05 - because I cannot see in the dark.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I think its OK for a poster to have an opinion that seems in conflict with the other opinions. My feeling is that if I'm asked for my opinion, and I give it....I don't need people to agree for me to be OK with what I think.

Others are allowed to be wrong. I don't see a reason to make them leave the room for having their own opinion.

:D

Besides, McNair is just curmudgeonly and says grumpy stuff because its his niche....a guy with ~ twenty two hundred posts on a flashlight forum who grumbles that people who are into flashlights are crazy....think about it.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think its OK for a poster to have an opinion that seems in conflict with the other opinions. My feeling is that if I'm asked for my opinion, and I give it....I don't need people to agree for me to be OK with what I think.

Others are allowed to be wrong.

Totally agree Mr TEEJ

I tell it as i see it and on this so far i see usage for work and the rest just because.Remember i am as addicted to lights as much as the rest.

dss_777

Enlightened

Why have you a problem fella?,last time i looked i happened to be a member very much like your self.

I'm just concerned for you. Thought you might have gotten lost in your search for that anorak-wearing hobbyist that stole your lunch money. Although that does explain your interest in flashlights... ;)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just concerned for you. Thought you might have gotten lost in your search for that anorak-wearing hobbyist that stole your lunch money. Although that does explain your interest in flashlights... ;)

No need to be concerned about me fella and i have the number of the Anorak wearers plus i use a card for lunch.I really enjoy the addiction of flashalolism .:nana: