• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: X3vn - X10vn Companion 3000 Lumen

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a similar issue. I don't really see it as a problem, since I only use high for short bursts anyway, but is there an explanation as to why this happens? Doesn't seem to be a heat issue, the light returns to full brightness if you run it on low for a short while. Just would like to satisfy my curiosity...

The stock X3 has thermal regulation that will automatically reduce output when the temp threshold has been reached. Could this be what is happening, or has the stock driver been removed in the vn version?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock X3 has thermal regulation that will automatically reduce output when the temp threshold has been reached. Could this be what is happening, or has the stock driver been removed in the vn version?

Can't answer that, but it doesn't seem like that in itself would cause the behavior I have seen. The flickering, in particular, makes me think something else is going on. It isn't just a stepdown, and then everything is normal. Nor is the light hot when it happens, at least not on the outside.

ven

Flashaholic
I would say the cell could be struggling with the load after a minute or 2.I find the IMR kinoko great for this light,also the mnke have been fine too.

After around 3 minutes,maybe up to 5 depending on ambient temp,the light soon gets warm,knocking down to low helps reduce temp,then can knock back up if desire.....

Low is around 100-150 ish lumens,high 3300lm,de-dome tends to loose around 10% iirc but not really noticeable at 3000lm to the eye............maybe 300yrds away you might tell but the de-dome doubles or more the throw. You will notice a warmer tint with de-dome.......

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the cell could be struggling with the load after a minute or 2.I find the IMR kinoko great for this light,also the mnke have been fine too.

After around 3 minutes,maybe up to 5 depending on ambient temp,the light soon gets warm,knocking down to low helps reduce temp,then can knock back up if desire.....

Well, the Xtar 26650 is an unprotected, low internal resistance cell. It SHOULDN'T have a problem, the current drain is still single digit amps. I'll have to ask Capolini, I know he bought the same cell at one point.

The issue is that it doesn't just step down to low. It flickers, and brightness varies. With a totally fresh cell, right out of the charger, it happens in well under two minutes (maybe even less), not three or five. And it isn't very warm at all. Again, I'm pretty sure this is nonstandard behavior, but I don't care much - I just want to know WHY it is happening.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Odd ,roberto has the x10 though so "only " 1600 ish lumens as opposed to 3300lm ...........so the A drain wont be as much.I do know he has had no issue with his x10vn

Do you know what the rating for the xtar is? i know the kinoko shows 9.6A from vinhs testing.

Vinh will be far more help than me,i just presume the xtar may struggle after a minute or so due to the direct drive.........i am certainly no expert though!.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd ,roberto has the x10 though so "only " 1600 ish lumens as opposed to 3300lm

Good point. Hadn't even thought about that.

Do you know what the rating for the xtar is? i know the kinoko shows 9.6A from vinhs testing.

No, I do not. It is sold as a high capacity/low internal resistance cell, and is unprotected, so I assumed it would be fine with <10amp draw. But perhaps not.

Vinh will be far more help than me,i just presume the xtar may struggle after a minute or so due to the direct drive.........i am certainly no expert though!.

My expectation was that direct drive would be LESS likely to cause this behavior - if the cell had an issue with the draw, I would have thought it would just gradually dim as the cell was depleted. But like you, I'm no expert...I could be wrong about all my assumptions, since this is unfamiliar territory for me.

If anyone else has any ideas, let me know!

ven

Flashaholic
Have a read here doc if not already
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?379813-Best-26650-for-VN-Lights

In short,just because a cell is rated at X amount of A it does not always mean it delivers that X amount in light.(2nd page)

How does it perform on low for a period of time,if fine the this potentially points towards cell not coping .......will leave for others to feed back now,hopefully sorted easily;)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Works fine on low, for any period of time I have tried.

I have seen that thread, but it was a while ago. Thanks for the link. I was also aware that the rating doesn't determine the actual draw in use, but I did expect it to be able to at least handle the draw for more than a minute or two, even if it wasn't the absolute max brightness possible. We shall see.

I may have an Xtar 26650 to donate shortly...went ahead and ordered a Kinoko IMR 26650, just so I can at least know for sure if that is the issue. Not like I need much of a reason to order more cells :devil:.

Last edited:

James3

Enlightened
Mine had the exact same problem, it flickered and switched to low mode after about 30 seconds with a fresh battery (king kong) I've sent it back to Vinh and hopefully he will find the problem and sort it for me!

Danny70

Newly Enlightened
I'm still waiting for the light. Has anyone tried 18650pf with 26650 sleeve on this light and how did it go on high?

ven

Flashaholic
I know what you mean doc,i bought 2x mnke 26650 cells ready to go,then to find they performed average............so ordered a kinoko too.

When i tested both out ,to my eyes anyway it looked the same(obv eyes are not the best judgement but what i see is what i see).

So i have 2 spare mnke 26650 cells.............they need a home:D just not sure on what 26650 light to feed them too in future.

Good luck doc:thumbsup:,worse case scenario , you send back to vinh you will have the best performing cell for the light from vinhs tests to feed the x3vn:D

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck doc:thumbsup:,worse case scenario , you send back to vinh you will have the best performing cell for the light from vinhs tests to feed the x3vn:D

Yep. That's why I went ahead and ordered it. No pain either way, really.

I'm saving a couple things to donate when the Christmas giveaway rolls around again...not a bad place to get rid of something you no longer need or want.

ven

Flashaholic
Yep. That's why I went ahead and ordered it. No pain either way, really.

I'm saving a couple things to donate when the Christmas giveaway rolls around again...not a bad place to get rid of something you no longer need or want.

Great thinking,i did notice how generous you were last time:twothumbs hats off to you ,very nice gesture :bow:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried mine with the Sony 26650 battery, and it ran fine over 2 minutes with no problems. I turned it off due to getting too hot.
I seem to be having an issue with my light. Not sure if it is my light or it could be my batteries? After 1-2 minute, the light will dim considerably. On one battery it will dim to low but on another battery it will dim very low and flicker. The torch does not get very hot at all. The batteries I am using are:

Panasonic NCR18650B
AW IMR 1600 mAh 3.7 volts
AW Li-ion protected 2900mAh 3.7volts

should I get the kiniko's?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may have an Xtar 26650 to donate shortly...went ahead and ordered a Kinoko IMR 26650, just so I can at least know for sure if that is the issue. Not like I need much of a reason to order more cells :devil:.

Well, I can now confirm the same behavior with the Kinoko cell. This time I measured it, and a fresh high-drain Kinoko lasted 2 minutes 15 seconds or so before flickering a bit, and stepping down. It continued to flicker a bit after stepdown. It does seem like it must be stepping down due to temperature (earlier it was quicker to step down, and this time the room was cooler), but it still doesn't explain the flickering. And it wasn't hot on the outside, either. Just a little warm. So I'm still not entirely sure what is going on. But we can rule out the battery.

ven

Flashaholic
Sure vinh will advise,does seem an issue with light going off my experience as mine will run for a few minutes,no flickering and the body is warm,quite warm before i knock it to low or off.Does get warm from 30 seconds gradually getting warmer...........i never run any light till its too warm for comfort so i always air on the edge of caution(obv not saying you dont,just referring to my use and that mine does not flicker with a quite warm body of 40oC+)

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't use my X3vn that often but, no runtime problems each time I've fired it up. I have the Kinoko.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes ,to me in an (almost getting there)none professional opinion,its pointing to the light,be it the driver or a dry solder maybe.

Either way i guess it needs sending to sir vinh for a look in.

Good luck,sure all sorted soon as we know vinhs customer service only comes 2nd......................to no one:D