Yet another flashaholic moment

Greta

Flashaholic
TSG... the Garand will be my secondary weapon. I already have one of those and it's sister carbine. I even went on a pilgrimage to Springfield, MA to see where these beauties were made and get a book on the serial numbers. I love the Garand and I would like to be more proficient with it but for now I need to just get back into the swing of shooting and competing. I was always top shooter with my M-16 but that was 20+ years ago... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool Sasha, do you know of any reputable rebuilders of Garands. I have an old one at my folks house in pieces that needs a complete refit and resto job. I would love to be shooting again. I haven't been in years the laws and permit/Fee requirements here in NYC keep me from keeping firearms here and I don't get out to any of my shooting relatives enough to do any real shooting just an occasional hunting jaunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
TSG... the Garand will be my secondary weapon. ...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm jelious (sp). I live in NYC, where both those rifles fall under our "assault rifle" ban. The ban is strict enough that if you live here in the city, you can forget national match course

I used to be somewhat friendly with 2 guys on the Island who had gone Distinguished. One in Service Rifle, the other in Bolt gun.

Greta

Flashaholic
I got my rifle today... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... It's heavy as HELL!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif ... I can take some weights out of it in the butt and in the handgrips but still... I think I just need to get used to it. Or else get to the gym... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TSG... If you're in NY, you may want to take a day or two off and go up to the Springfield Armory. Or contact them to see if they still do restorations. You'll want someone who knows that weapon and can do the job right. It will cost you... but it will be worth it. That's such a sweet weapon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, Sasha I think a SA refit might be out of my budget and I doubt I'd shoot match! Maybe you should start pressing and curling that AR before hitting the range, first!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Did any of you see the article in American Rifleman on the NM 1903's? Nice read. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
TSG... the Garand will be my secondary weapon. ...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm jelious (sp). I live in NYC, where both those rifles fall under our "assault rifle" ban. The ban is strict enough that if you live here in the city, you can forget national match course...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me started on @&%#!@! NYC gun laws. Count yourself lucky you don't need a carry permit for your briefcase. Probably couldn't get one anyway.

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned
NYC's firearms laws are abysmal. Not quite so bad, but still sucky are NY State and NJ.

The year or so I spent in NJ at the 'Labs was the only time I carried illegally in the past 33 years. (And you didn't hear that from me, and certainly not here ...

(Has any politician actually sat down and paid attention to the fact that the more draconian the laws are against firearms, the more thay are misused? Compare, say, Washington DC's firearms problems with, say, Washington state, or Florida, or Nebraska, or, well, you get the idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif )

I need to get my AR out of storage again, now that I've moved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig2.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Try Holland. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Even a slingshot or baton are illegal here... Don't even mention a BB-gun... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
Try Holland. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Even a slingshot or baton are illegal here... Don't even mention a BB-gun... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess what? Same in NYC! It's "wrist brace sling shots" plain Y sticks are legal. BB-gun? I understand that technically there is a provision under the law to issue a permit, however, I also understand it's been years since anyone got one

G-d help you if you sit on a milk crate, the subway steps to rest, or mix one piece of paper in with your "regular" garbage. All will net you fines of between $50-$250 bucks (our mayor has the police on a ticket blitz to get $$$ for the budget)

Greta

Flashaholic
Well I went out shooting this morning. Did pretty good, if I do say so myself! It about 25 yards, my groups were within a half dollar. Out to about 100 yards, I was able to get within a drink coaster. All prone shooting. I tried off-hand but was too unsteady. I couldn't even get settled in long enough to get a shot off. This weapon is heavy!! ... I guess I really am going to have to get to the gym and work on some upper body strength training before I can compete nationally. I'll be ok locally if it's not windy.

It's a really nice weapon!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif