You will love this NASA penlight

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah id even nasa fan but it's like this one was made for me.

Only way I could like it more is if it had stayed like the prototype which i understand had a higher cct.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah id even nasa fan but it's like this one was made for me.

Only way I could like it more is if it had stayed like the prototype which i understand had a higher cct.

Once you try the 3000ºK high CRI you won't want to get rid of it. If still you don't like it , I will replace the LED for you.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
So maybe I missed it but how do we purchase and how much? This light looks awesome. I have an eiger high cri that is similer but the warmer tint and longer run time on this is great.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
So maybe I missed it but how do we purchase and how much? This light looks awesome. I have an eiger high cri that is similer but the warmer tint and longer run time on this is great.

To purchase, click on the Kickstarter link at the top of post Number 1 in this thread.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light doesn't have any springs on the tail or head?

No, it does not. Neither the original. This kind of design, which is the simplest one, does not need it, and the only reason for it would be to avoid the potential sound of the batteries moving inside, which is insignificant. The contact is perfect and super reliable.

Javier

Newguy2012

Enlightened
No, it does not. Neither the original. This kind of design, which is the simplest one, does not need it, and the only reason for it would be to avoid the potential sound of the batteries moving inside, which is insignificant. The contact is perfect and super reliable.

Javier

Wouldn't the spring help with impact? Have you done any drop test on the light? Did you update runtime with NiMH yet? Is the tail slightly chamfered? What titanium grade did you use for the prototype? You said alloy in the comments so I'm guessing grade 5 since it's the most common grade. Why don't people use grade 2? It has better thermal dissipation than grade 5.

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't the spring help with impact? Have you done any drop test on the light? Did you update runtime with NiMH yet? Is the tail slightly chamfered? What titanium grade did you use for the prototype? You said alloy in the comments so I'm guessing grade 5 since it's the most common grade. Why don't people use grade 2? It has better thermal dissipation than grade 5.

Hello, thanks for your questions.

Yes, springs do help with contact as they will absorbe the changes in height of the batteries if they are smashed because of a violent shock. But in this case, as the length of the inner tube can be adjusted to the length of the battery set, then there will be no problem.

Yes, we have done drop test, and there is no signs of damage or failure. Lens are retained with an o-ring that will prevent cracking on it even on the even of a strong shock, and the PCB is small in diameter and thick, impossible to break unless you use a hammer and a nail.

Regarding the NiMH test, yes, we did it but we didn't saved the record... kind of stupid on our side. We will repeat it.

The titanium prototypes were made as you said with grade 5, as long as it is already an overkill. Heat dissipation is not an issue on a 1 Watt flashlight designed the way this one is... specially using an XPL-HI driven at 350 mA. Grade 5 has higher availability, I mean, you can get almost in no time every shape, diameter, wall...

Javier

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light doesn't have any springs on the tail or head?

Wow i didn't catch that on my mental twisty spec checklist, and he even posted a diagram. It's been a while, thanks for pointing that out.

BUt I'm certain that if this design was good enough for NASA it'll be good enough for C.P. enthusaholics.

ntm LED vs. incan no less.

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow i didn't catch that on my mental twisty spec checklist, and he even posted a diagram. It's been a while, thanks for pointing that out.

BUt I'm certain that if this design was good enough for NASA it'll be good enough for C.P. enthusaholics.

ntm LED vs. incan no less.

One of the most reliable lights I ever had in my life was an Infinity (pre CMG). Nowadays would look ultra dim, but on that time it was always on my pocket on my much more frequent then caving trips. One day I submerged one to -30 meters. It was not intended to, but that light was really bombproof based on its simplicity. Twisty, no springs... the only weak point was the unanodized threads, for me a critical point when it comes to aluminun. It suffered hundreds of drops, and other than being scratched and occasionally smashed batteries, it always worked. Alks still have some advantages, when using them they have an "autodim" function and they do "self recover"

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will probably like this pictures !

fbhyrs.jpg

34dldao.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just out of Curiosity --

What bulb did the original use ? ? ?

Let me guess . . . .

# 222 ?

# PR-4 ?

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of Curiosity --

I can't tell you for sure... but I would say a PR type, as long as that is the one most used by Fulton, which is the real manufacturer (ACR was the contractor, but Fulton the manufacturer)

Javier

Let me guess . . . .

# 222 ?

# PR-4 ?

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of Curiosity --

Let me guess . . . .

# 222 ?

# PR-4 ?

I can't tell you for sure... but I would say a PR type, PR6 or PR4, as long as that is the one most used by Fulton, which is the real manufacturer (ACR was the contractor, but Fulton the manufacturer)

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The project has been successfully funded, and still 11 days to finish!

Thanks to everyone... now it is the moment of a "teaser". It's been inspired by the Apollo penlight, but it is made from titanium, has a 18650 battery. and instead of 350 mA on a warm LED is putting 1000 mA on a Neutral one. Is an early prototype anyway, perhaps more a concept of an ultracompact light, there are some mixed parts, different knurling...

32zrt3q.jpg

Javier

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Great news Javier! Again, I was the very first backer, so in honor of this, serial # 0001 will be great. You do fill the orders in sequential order, right? Ok...great! That Ti 18650 looks very nice! Hope you can load it with a High CRI Nichia 4500k.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't really understand how this all works now that it's backed and ready to run. How do we purchase one??