Your Flashlight Passion: How did it start?

archimedes

Flashaholic
It's funny you mention that. After my intro post when I first signed up here, Archimedes replied the following:
"If you have a US address, I will send you a M@g Solitaire ... just PM (message) me, after you have 3 posts on the forum here :)"

I never took him up on it given it was a generous but unnecessary offer, but seeing that made me know I was in the right place to share the flashlight passion.

It's great seeing all the other stories.

If I can still find it, that offer still stands ... lol :D

quinlag

Newly Enlightened
I just read up on this light....very cool...I would love to see the beam pattern on that light with the super polished mirror reflector.

If I remember correctly(it's been about 58 years) there was no beam, just total flood.
This is not my light, just a copy of one similiar to the ones I played with.
My granddad and his lights are long gone; my joy of playing with lights remains though.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, a flashaholic life story? in how many words? well, I will attempt to keep this short.

in the late '40s in semi-rural SW Minnesota, powerline wires over long distances of open fields meant that power failures were routine with nearly every storm due to wind or ice. Power outages were maybe a day in the summer, a few days in the winter. During power failures, We used kerosene lamps - restricted to the kitchen, dining room, and my Father's office. Bedrooms upstairs or anywhere else in the house meant flashlights. Fire in an old clapboard house was a very real danger. A kerosene stove served up semi-hot food, usually pancakes. Since the house employed steam heat - nothing electric - shovel in coal and corn cobs and the 2-story house could stay sort of warm downstairs. Bedrooms upstairs received heat via the stairwell. Flashlights followed me thru many many power failures in MN, US Forest Service in Northern Idaho (very remote - local generator power only during daytime), in the military around the world, University, and finally a family. Oddly enough, no power failures for years in Germany. I was in the Northeast blackout of 1965: watching the city of Syracuse NY go dark in the evening of day 1 was sobering. only hospitals had generators and minimal light, and some of them went dark about day 2-3. IOW, power failures have been a part of my life. Neverthless, I enjoy getting outside for walks in wooded/open areas dark enough to need a handheld light.

back to flashlights: My flashaholic beginnings in the later '40s were complements of hardware store flashlights, standard incandescent filament bulbs, and Carbon-Zinc cells. IOW, very yellow beams with short ranges - which is probably why I explicitly dislike 'warm' LED beams and only tolerate neutral-colored beams. I often raided my 'piggy bank' for flashlight upgrades and batteries. Reading under the blankets in bed was frequent. I slowly followed the bulb improvements - krypton-filled bulbs - and the evolution of C & D-cell chemistry. The real breakthru was the GE Nickel-Cadmium cells, which lead to battery chargers, ever increasing cell capacities, and discovery of the voltage depression effect and dendrite issues in Ni-Cd cells. Ni-MH cells solved the voltage depression issue, but battery chemistry could not keep up with the bulb->LED evolution. A Maglite was a dream - eventually had up to a 5-cell, but then LEDs wiped out the Maglite fascination.

My first LED light from REI had all of about 60 lumens - and only increased my desire for more lumens. Routine walks at night in a semi-wild park or simply wooded areas gave me the opportunity to test out many different flashlight styles. I cycled thru nearly all sizes of lights and cells. I standardized on 14500/18650/26650 and AAA or AA cells. Button cells, 10180, RCR/CR123 cells are gone for various reasons - usually a too short run time at lumen levels that I want. In my old age, I need more light now, so I frequently use the higher lumen levels. sub-lumen levels are meaningless to me.

Looking to the future, high-lumen lights >1000 lumens are excessive for most urban/suburban areas in Germany, save for walks along the Main-Donau Kanal. Even in my apt area in Wisconsin, my TN40 has only limited usage at max output. I definitely evolved to prefer a good mixed beam, neither thrower nor flooder. In total I am down to less than a dozen lights, about half in a rotation. I am becoming very selective about how I would use any 'new' light. Shelf queens are now quickly given away. Frequent travel & living locations is a good motivation for minimalization!

I also attempted gifting small keychain lights ... eh, most of those lights eventually sat on shelves after the first usage. Rechargeable lights would normally be run down and left down - a certain battery killer. After many gifting failures, I settled on a 1xAAA cell single mode light for a giveaway. Otherwise, all of my closer relatives have been suitably provisioned with flashlights, but only one of them became a flashaholic. oh well.

Sharpie

Newly Enlightened
Wow, cool posts!

my story isn't nearly as interesting as the above....

I have always had flashlights, but generally small ones that came in a gift box with a Winchester or Snap on tool set.

Last summer I ordered a couple of $5-10 (forget which cheap "Fire" brand) torches from Fasttech along with some of my usual vaping supplies. I was amazed at how bright these little cheap LED flashlights were compared to my old ones and started doing my research.

After reading all about different brands here and across the web, I started buying a few better, but inexpensive models such as Convoy. I still love the C8 and the S2+. Also added Lumintop Worms or tiny Nitecore lights to all of our keychains.

I soon graduated to good single and dual 18650 lights from Fenix, Sunwayman, Lumintop, Nitecore, etc., and added a couple of good headlamps for when we spend weekends in the woods (we bought a new 5th wheel this year).

i have my eye on a couple of higher end flashlights, but for now I am very happy with what I have.

I was late at 47 getting into quality (IMO) flashlights, but I'm glad I did!

Enderman

Enlightened
I took apart many devices including projectors when I was a kid, and started playing around with the lenses and trying to make a bright thin beam using crappy flashlights from around the house.
Eventually I started doing research on the internet and was inspired by some of the creations from people on this forum and other flashlight forums, so I started building my superthrowers :)

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Ever since i can remember i've been a gearaholic. My Dad was a mechanic, so i was always around tools, lights, dirtbikes, cars, etc...I used to grab a cheapo from one of the big box stores when i needed a light and never even thought of the higher end stuff until i became an electrician. Like most here, seeing an LED changed the game. I was working on a piece of heavy equipment when my co-worker brought me some parts to install. As i was checking my new parts, my bulbs looked funny. I called outside (I was 3 miles under a mountain) and told my chief he sent the wrong bulbs! He assured me they were right and that we were switching over to LED bulbs! I was excited to see if they were worth the swap, not because of the increased output but because i knew they ran cooler and the type of bulbs we were using was cooking our wires in the light housings and it was a nasty, long process to change them out.
I knew that LED's were brighter, more efficient and ran cooler but i had never seen "THE DIFFERENCE". Unknown to me at the time but the lights i was installing were a HUGE Upgrade, think running an LED at the same amps as the incandescent u just replaced! I finished my repairs then put the juice to it to make sure everything was running smooth. WOW!!! I didn't know a tiny bulb could be THAT bright!!! As a husband, father, mechanic/electrician, and the guy who everyone comes to when something breaks, i feel obligated to fix any problems that arise, and i've always carried tools and EDC items. I depend on this stuff heavily, I didnt want a crappy multitool, i got a Leatherman. I didnt want a knife that wouldnt keep an edge, i got a Spyderco. Well that night i decided i didnt want a light that i couldnt fry my retinas with. I got a Nitecore!

Side note: If you think lights are expensive, DO NOT get interested in guns (u should edc one though) or anything with a motor. My light collection is bare minimum because of this lol!

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a child of the sixties and I remember having torches in the house when I was a kid, however more often than not the batteries were dead.

In the seventies we had regular power cuts in the UK, due to politics and economics of the time. I think that instilled in me a need to be prepared for loss of light and also a loss of being able to cook.

I joined the Police in 1983 and in those days we weren't issued a flashlight, however there was a small supply of EverReady 2 D-Cell rubber torches that you could book out for a shift.

It didn't take many night shift to realise that I needed something better!

I found an advert in a UK magazine called 'Handgunner', for a 2D cell USA made flashlight (similar to Maglite) which had a plunger type switch, with a black rubber cap on one side and a red rubber cap on the other. I bought one and also bought a 1 x D cell extender for it and an additional bulb.

My colleagues thought that I was mad spending my own money on equipment for 'the job', however they all wanted to use it if light was needed at the scene of something.

Later in my service we were issued 2D Maglites but then I then heard about the Surefire 6P, if I recall correctly they cost about £70 which was a lot of money back in those days so I waiting until the G2 was released and bought one of those. They were expensive on batteries and the bulbs didn't seem to last particularly long. It outperformed the Maglite and was small enough to always have on my belt.

When Surefire released the LED drop-in I upgraded it and that helped extend the battery life.

I moved to Air Support in 2004 and wanted something that was easier to store in my flightsuit, so I bought a Surefire Outdoorsman (incan) which I carried for 10 years.

The aircraft light was a Surefire G3 which was used for daily checks. One of the pilots dropped it and it stopped working so it was replaced with a new light and I rescued the old one from the trashcan.

I asked for advice on this site about repairing the G3 and following the advice offered I still have it now as a momentum of my service on air support. I've been on and off the forum ever since!

I then got interested in LED lights and bought a Surefire Fury. That led to purchases of a Zebralight SC52W and a Sunwayman V11R. About that time my son was joining the military so I upgraded my SF Outdoorsman with a Malkoff Neutral MDC HA LMH Li-ion Rechargeable head and passed it onto him.

That's when I caught the Malkoff bug! The MD2, HoundDog MD4, MDC and M91T followed.

I'm mainly interested in Duty lights and just wish that the Malkoff MD3 M91T had been available 30 years ago!!

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
It's great to hear stories about how the Job used to be. It's a shame that even today there are plenty of police forces that don't provide anything better than a Magcharger and basically force anyone that wants good kit to buy their own.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dave, it sounds like you may have obtained an LA Screw from their early days before they started using a clicky. They used a plunger where the red button was for "on" and black button for "off". They were made to configure for more batteries to make it brighter. Mainly 5 cell models sold so it could be a 2, 3 or 5 cell light. They were generally sold to police. Many placed the switch between the segments for less wrist fatigue when extended carry with a finger on the button took place. True Grit did similar so perhaps it was a True Grit?
Sounds like you may have had one made for "civilians". Smaller and lighter than those made for cops lights.
Good flashlight at the time.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
It's great to hear stories about how the Job used to be. It's a shame that even today there are plenty of police forces that don't provide anything better than a Magcharger and basically force anyone that wants good kit to buy their own.

Whats worse is that many police jurisdictions require motorcycle officers to wear gear that is essentially horse riding gear. At least from an abrasion and impact resistance perspective.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Whats worse is that many police jurisdictions require motorcycle officers to wear gear that is essentially horse riding gear. At least from an abrasion and impact resistance perspective.

Our bike guys get all the proper protective gear they need. Jackets, proper leather riding pants, closed helmets and the like. The only flashlight we get personally issued on the orher hand is the Led Lenser F1.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, it sounds like you may have obtained an LA Screw from their early days before they started using a clicky. They used a plunger where the red button was for "on" and black button for "off". They were made to configure for more batteries to make it brighter. Mainly 5 cell models sold so it could be a 2, 3 or 5 cell light. They were generally sold to police. Many placed the switch between the segments for less wrist fatigue when extended carry with a finger on the button took place. True Grit did similar so perhaps it was a True Grit?
Sounds like you may have had one made for "civilians". Smaller and lighter than those made for cops lights.
Good flashlight at the time.

I lost the rubber caps off of it and I think it suffered from leaking batteries and was consigned to the trash.

If I recall correctly there were two different versions available at the time but I could only get the one that was referred to as a 'Smoke Cutter'. It was 34 years ago so I may not be 100% accurate on that. It was definitely a 2 'D' cell and when I bought the extender I had to buy a different bulb to use with 3 batteries. The spare bulb was housed in the tailcap.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They made one called the Smoke Cutter Dave. It's the one that inspired the California Cop Light thread over in the incan section. A thread about California made flashlights from the late 1960's forward that changed things for you guys.... for the better.

My passion for flashlight collecting had wained tremendously, then learning about those re-lit the fire so to speak.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I guess I always liked flashlights, knives, guns, and watches. I really only started relying on one while in Army. It was one of the incandescent green periscope looking things with the colored lenses in the tail. Pretty cool. Eventually got a job as civilian where I have to find certain addresses, often in the dark, so I used a 6P and Maglite back then, before LED. I tried a few cheap LED lights later that the clicks wouldn't last more than a couple weeks. Then I discovered Malkoff drop ins for my 6P. Next thing I know, I just kept buying whole lights every so often. Still do:)

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a night blind person I have always had a flashlights fetish it all began with a 6 Cell Maglite back in the 80s then I had May 1st LED purchased from Home Depot and I never looked back

Flashlights are more than just a hobby for me they give me freedom and help me overcome the challenges of my crappy eyes :)

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know, but I'm thinking maybe I was afraid of the dark.

Beatles: "Big man (yeah) walking in the park
Wigwam frightened of the dark
Some kind of solitude is
Measured out in you
You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue"

Pink Floyd: "Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy diamond."

richbuff: I used to be afraid of the dark, but after years of many types of therapy and amassing a costly flashlight collection, it is merely a phobia now.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Beatles: "Big man (yeah) walking in the park
Wigwam frightened of the dark
Some kind of solitude is
Measured out in you
You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue"

Pink Floyd: "Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy diamond."

richbuff: I used to be afraid of the dark, but after years of many types of therapy and amassing a costly flashlight collection, it is merely a phobia now.
Lol