Z2 Combat Light

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip on the C2 bothers me in that the body has the protusion where the clip attaches. I wish it looked more symmetrical. Weird, I know... My Z2 is a keeper! Are you guys running bezel rings in your Z2s? Which ones? Thinking about getting a Xeno off of fleabay. Price seems reasonable.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more question for the experts here. I saw a thread asking about boring an e-series and the consensus feedback was that it was a bad idea because it (boring) made the walls too thin, compromising the ability of the body to withstand impacts/drops/etc. Does the narrower diameter of the Z2 have the same problem? I've seen bored Z2s for sale, and for a while was bummed I didn't pull the trigger on one. My current Z2 is not bored. Since most of my other lights use 18650s, I was a little annoyed about having to pick up a couple of protected 16650s. But now I'm thinking that I may have dodged a bullet by avoiding the weaker (bored) Z2s, despite having to compromise on my 18mm battery standardization. Anyone have experience with a bored Z2?

Last edited:

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Are you guys running bezel rings in your Z2s? Which ones? Thinking about getting a Xeno off of fleabay. Price seems reasonable.

I probably should. I've already destroyed one bezel. A Z2 and a Malkoff drop-in is a nose heavy beast.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything bored will be weaker :shrug:

:ohgeez:I understand that in the general sense... like a bored 6p will not be (ultimately) as strong as a stock 6p. I guess the important consideration is whether the weakness introduced in the 6p by boring is detectable through ordinary use?

Comments in that e-series (E2E?, can't remember for sure **EDIT: EDCL1-T**) thread was that dropping the light would compromise the tube.

Wondering if the weakness caused by boring the thinner Z2 approaches this same extreme fragility?

If the weakness isn't detectable in the majority of use cases, maybe the risk is negligible for us weekend warriors (I'm an average kind of user)?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
There are so many 18mm stock options now, that I would simply choose a different host, rather than weakening one at additional cost.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering if the weakness caused by boring the thinner Z2 approaches this same extreme fragility?

Are you guys running bezel rings in your Z2s?

I have a bored Z2 and a bored Fury neither suffer from 'extreme fragility', it depends on how much you are going to abuse your lights.

I have bezel rings on my P/G series lights and use both the Xeno and the Lumens Factory versions, both are highly recommended and of similar quality.
The LM version has a thicker ring, about 2mm deep whereas the Xeno one is just under 1.5mm. I don't think it makes the Xeno version extremely fragile though!

:thumbsup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I just run a 16650 in all my 2 cells. 2500mah. Believe it or not you don't lose a ton of runtime compared to a 18650.

ven

Flashaholic
I also run 16650 in my z2's. I have 3 bored surefires (c2,6p,L4). Body wise does not seem to be an issue, but it can get pretty close(too close in some cases in the L4/E series ) on the tail threads.

Unless running drop ins in anger, 16650 will be fine up to 4 or 5a.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
With regards to the C2 vs. Z2 aspect; I did a low-light handgun/flashlight training session & used both the C2 and the Z2. I ended up preferring the Z2 due to its purely-omnidirectional hold compared to the more complicated shape of the C2. I always thought the C bodies were better looking, but the Z's just have a better grip. :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
With regards to the C2 vs. Z2 aspect; I did a low-light handgun/flashlight training session & used both the C2 and the Z2. I ended up preferring the Z2 due to its purely-omnidirectional hold compared to the more complicated shape of the C2. I always thought the C bodies were better looking, but the Z's just have a better grip. :)
Complete agreement.
One extremely minor factor is that the Z is lighter in weight, right?

kamagong

Newly Enlightened

Complete agreement.
One extremely minor factor is that the Z is lighter in weight, right?

If we're talking strictly about grip, I think the G2Z wins. It's truly omnidirectional, as opposed to the Z2 which is merely nearly-omnidirectional. :whistle:

Of course, the G2Z's nitrolon body limits the available updates due to heat issues. I suppose the ultimate light would be a 6Z, upgraded with a Pyrex lens/head assembly.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thread resurrection lol...

Well, I finally scored a BNIB Z2-BK! I have wanted one for a long time. I'm hoping for the one with the bezel as I already ordered a Xeno for it. I guess I will see when it gets here. I am excited[emoji16].

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

ven

Flashaholic
Excellent Tac, you wont be disappointed! Such a classic, puts new lights of today in the shade. They are fun in standard form to, those little p60 bulbs kick out a decent 50 or 60lm beam. When compared to other incand lights, they are a beam of beauty. I am still taken back now when i fire one up, to think(what maybe 20+ yrs of age) can hold its own and some. Granted weak in the spill, but still more than ample if no light pollution around. Enjoy!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I can't wait. I am a little nervous as it hasn't shipped yet... Hopefully soon.

I may need to order a Z59 for it so I have a Clicky option or would it be better to just order a McClicky conversion from OR or EDC+?

I think I got a pretty good deal. What is a decent price for one of these BNIB anyway? Not that it really matters as this one is going to be a user and I couldn't resist even if it was twice as much lol.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

ven

Flashaholic
I would just McClicky it Tac, thats what i have done. As for price cost, i can tell you what i would be happy and pay for a BNIB. If in market and a new one was say on a certain auction site, i would maybe pay up to £100/£120. So a total max of $150 US .

Obviously thats me, most of mine have been around £80 for mint, paid £60 for my works beater.