Zebralight C3 4x18650, 9000 lumens!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing how people can discuss nothing for over one year.

Have you heard of the video game Half Life 3? Fans have been waiting for a decade for it.

Or the ultimate vapor-ware (or possibly the longest-running venture capital scam) - the Moller Skycar.

markr6

Flashaholic
Still holding on to some hope for this one, but less and less as the days go by.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not disappointed. Zebralight are the masters of the compact, high-quality, single cell, single LED niche, particularly for non-Li-ion cells. Something like this would just dilute what makes them great.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not disappointed. Zebralight are the masters of the compact, high-quality, single cell, single LED niche, particularly for non-Li-ion cells. Something like this would just dilute what makes them great.

Wouldn't hurt to have options though. The SC6330 was a great light, just above my budget. Now that it's gone, I want to have a second chance.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gots to change the lumens up to at least 12,000 lumens or maybe 15,000. 9000 is outdated on 4x18650.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even at 9000 lumens, it's going to ramp down far too quickly. 12000+ lumens would make that happen even faster.

I'm not a fan of the pocket-rockets. They're impressive, for a few seconds, but then what? If I were to buy a C3, I'd want to run it on max for a long time. Otherwise, I'd just use one of the smaller and more convenient SC600 series.

The C3 would probably maintain somewhere around 2000 lumens. Not good enough for a light not easily pocketable.

I have some 4x18650 lights, and while they're impressive, they're just not practical. Too heavy or bulky for easy carry, so I never use them on walks. If I was doing S&R, I'd want a light to maintain 9000 lumens indefinitely.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even at 9000 lumens, it's going to ramp down far too quickly. 12000+ lumens would make that happen even faster.

I'm not a fan of the pocket-rockets. They're impressive, for a few seconds, but then what? If I were to buy a C3, I'd want to run it on max for a long time. Otherwise, I'd just use one of the smaller and more convenient SC600 series.

The C3 would probably maintain somewhere around 2000 lumens. Not good enough for a light not easily pocketable.

I have some 4x18650 lights, and while they're impressive, they're just not practical. Too heavy or bulky for easy carry, so I never use them on walks. If I was doing S&R, I'd want a light to maintain 9000 lumens indefinitely.

Many lights can just be run at lower output and can pretend it is Max. :p I'd definitely like to see its full output accessible even if not practical. I get what you are saying though.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lost interest in this light. I just ordered a fireflies rot66 with 9x nichia 219 9080 instead!

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lost interest in this light. I just ordered a fireflies rot66 with 9x nichia 219 9080 instead!
wow thanks for that heads up for this one bud, I've been looking for something for a while
like this. was waiting for intl-outdoor's 3x 18650 light which they have canned now. I have a manker MK34 but too many things have gone wrong with it - glued plastic ring in the base of the head to stop reverse polarity fell out, the button has gone intermittent, battery length is just too fussy as in cant use flat tops can't use nipple top (only some brands of which I don't have) so have to use a blob of solder filed down to the correct level, also UI is not my favorite finding it a little counter-intuitive. and the only other one that I looked at is the Acebeam K30 but tint shift is a bit hinky.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
It is crazy how fast the lumen wars are progressing. I saw the X7 on sale this June and maybe still for $77.00. I can't believe I paid 199.00 for it not too long ago. I am in holding pattern right now. Just watching 32,000 lumens now, but the quality of the beam in one of those lights is in my opinion very bad. I am happy to see Surefires 2018 new lights finally. The customer service is great. I emailed them today about a tailcap, and within an hour I was told a new one was on the way. I want to try an Elzetta and a zebralight. Also, like mentioned above, lets get a light that does 9000 lumens for 30 minutes or more.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the lumen wars have run their course. It's getting ridiculous now, with insane output that the lights can't handle due to heat. Next step would be active cooling, but who wants that in a flashlight? Just adds bulk, weight, and extra power requirements.

LED efficiency could help (bright LEDs that produce less waste heat... double win). But we're probably getting near the upper practical limit on efficiency with white LEDs. Might get another 25% or 50% out of them in time, but that still not good enough for a 32,000 lumen light if you want it to run for awhile. Then again, battery run-time might solve that issue anyway....

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I think the lumen wars have run their course. It's getting ridiculous now, with insane output that the lights can't handle due to heat. Next step would be active cooling, but who wants that in a flashlight? Just adds bulk, weight, and extra power requirements.

LED efficiency could help (bright LEDs that produce less waste heat... double win). But we're probably getting near the upper practical limit on efficiency with white LEDs. Might get another 25% or 50% out of them in time, but that still not good enough for a 32,000 lumen light if you want it to run for awhile. Then again, battery run-time might solve that issue anyway....

Yes, so the money is in High efficiency LEDs and high mAh high voltage cells.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is crazy how fast the lumen wars are progressing. I saw the X7 on sale this June and maybe still for $77.00. I can't believe I paid 199.00 for it not too long ago. I am in holding pattern right now. Just watching 32,000 lumens now, but the quality of the beam in one of those lights is in my opinion very bad. I am happy to see Surefires 2018 new lights finally. The customer service is great. I emailed them today about a tailcap, and within an hour I was told a new one was on the way. I want to try an Elzetta and a zebralight. Also, like mentioned above, lets get a light that does 9000 lumens for 30 minutes or more.

9000 lumens for 30 minutes would be possible (huge light), but by the time it is a standard, the max on the same light may be 25,000 lumens. Thus nobody would be satisfied and everyone would be saying lets get a light with 25,000 lumens for 30 minutes. Notice everyone wants the max short output number as a long duration output. It has been the story for the decade I've been into lights. Keeps the innovation happening though. :)

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Firefly light looks great. I'm sure Zebralight would have a much more efficient driver if they ever completed the C3, but they would not offer an R9080 emitter.

Active cooling is here. Acebeam now has a light using a fan, and I think Olight does, too.

I'm not really interested in any of those lights, but I could see uses where they are a good alternative to a wired light.

I realized when I got my D4 that unsustainable max outputs don't bother me, as long as the light functions well at the levels it can sustain.

I even have used the D4's max output a couple times for practical purposes, not just for the giggles I get out of it. When I'm out doing chores after dark and want to see something on the far side of my property for a moment, I don't have to walk across the yard or remember to bring one of my throwier lights with me.