ZebraLight Mods

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
I have had a 501w since they came out, and just picked up the H51. I absolutely love these lights, but carrying them in a pocket with the included clip never worked well because you have to take it off to put it on the headband. I picked up a couple of Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme flashlights andfound that the clip fits on both of my Zebralights, and they fit in the headband with the clip on! This also solves the unintentional rotation that happens when in the silicone headband holder.
5089925800_af69f7e672_z.jpg

5089326327_cbb4a4f187_z.jpg

5089927104_60bdf9784e_z.jpg

I tried to find a link to a picture of the Rayovac lights, but the one I had appears to be an older 1w LED in what they now sell as the 3w 80lm version...

With the new pocket clip, my H51 is truly an all-purpose EDC.

Zebralight: Find out who makes that clip for Rayovac, and include it with your lights - You will never look back!

cistallus

Enlightened
That looks like a good clip. I assume it's from the Rayovac 2AA model, not the 3C model, part number I found is SELUX2AA3W-B - it's list at $47, current price $30 via Amazon. That's a lot of money to get a clip for my H501w! (Assuming it would fit the H501w like the H51). Of course if I already had it around it would be a good find.

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
Its the 1w version - they have it at Menards (regional home repair store) for 13 bucks. I don't know if its discontinued- it isn't on the Rayovac site...

It does fit the 501w, by the way.

Last edited:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight Mods

Great ideas here guys!:thumbsup:

Way before the H31 was introduced, I made my own version using an H30 host along with an McR10 reflector and a Q3-5A XP-E.
Also shown is an H30 that I put a neutral XP-G in.
Next to them are an H30 direct from Zebralight with a Q3-5A XR-E and another with a Red XR-E.

007-50.jpg

Wow... How do you dissambled???

cistallus

Enlightened
Full cache recovery of the rest of Page 1, and all of Page 2, of original thread:

Here's the last 3 posts from Page 1 of the original thread, as provided by Ja(me)s:

Re: ZebraLight Mods
Written by kengps on 11-02-2010 10:08 AM GMT

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sno4Life

[quoted pictures from post #21 of this thread were here; left out of this cache repost]

Zebralight: Find out who makes that clip for Rayovac, and include it with your lights - You will never look back!

Agreed...that rubber clip my H31 comes with is bulky, ugly, and most of all wayyy too sticky to clip into a jeans pocket. It's the only thing I dislike about it. I think its good for extreme security, and would be good to Agreed...that rubber clip my H31 comes with is bulky, ugly, and most of all wayyy too sticky to clip into a jeans pocket. It's the only thing I dislike about it. I think its good for extreme security, and would be good to have. But for EDC it's just too difficult to clip/unclip from my pocket.

Written by davidt1 on 11-05-2010 10:57 AM GMT

Ihave decided to wear my H501 around my neck for good, because it's just too convenient to store and use this way.

Disappeared when stored, even in formal wear.

IMG_5857.jpg

Ready to use anytime and anywhere, even when I am in church, at a wedding, or office meeting.

IMG_5859.jpg

Written by psychbeat on 11-05-2010 01:06 PM GMT

^^nice!

Ive been adding a cut down piece of plastic card

slipped under the silicone mount to keep the light from

bouncing around on my fullface helmet. Ive also used the

GITD holder (supplemented with some velcro) to mount a

C2 (w dual xpg module) on the side of the band.

it would be uncomfortable if it wasnt on my helmet.

eventually Ill swap out the silicone holders for thick velcro

as it seems like its working out better stability wise for you

guys. the silicone is WAY too flexi IMO.

Written by RedForest UK on 11-06-2010 02:31 PM GMT

I just left the stock clip on, cut the circular loops off of the GITD headband and cut some notches in the back. Then it clips/unclips onto the headband attachment great, itll still rotate easily enough for me, doesn't wobble at all due to the notches and rubber on rubber grip, and is easily removable. Plus the GITD backing looks great without those weird loopy things going round the light. ;)

Here's Page 2 of the original thread as recovered from cache

Written by cambel on 11-07-2010 08:24 PM GMT

Has anyone tried breaking these things down and making an h series an s series? Can this be easily done? Curious cause I would really like the have the h51 but it might be nice the have a straight up flashlight once in a while. The switch and lamp bezels appear to be the same size from the photos.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-07-2010 09:50 PM GMT

cambel said:
Has anyone tried breaking these things down and making an h series an s series? Can this be easily done? Curious cause I would really like the have the h51 but it might be nice the have a straight up flashlight once in a while. The switch and lamp bezels appear to be the same size from the photos.
I would say that it would be very difficult and pointless. Why not just get the corresponding flashlight, i.e. the SC51 ? Such a mod will most certainly be irreversible and result in the destruction of your light. Even if you were successful, the cost of such a modification would probably cost as much as a new SC51 and you'll still only have the one light. IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to even try. I would say that it would be very difficult and pointless. Why not just get the corresponding flashlight, i.e. the SC51 ? Such a mod will most certainly be irreversible and result in the destruction of your light. Even if you were successful, the cost of such a modification would probably cost as much as a new SC51 and you'll still only have the one light. IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to even try.

Written by cambel on 11-08-2010 03:44 PM GMT

The point of it would be to have two flashlights for the price of one. Most flashlights can be broken down and parts swapped and such. I was wondering if this was built the same way. For ease of manufacturing the h and the s seem the same from photos, but I guess by your response they must be glued together which would make it pointless and irriversible. Thanks

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-09-2010 02:42 AM GMT

Hey All,

Thank you all for the great ideas. I'd like to reciprocate by sharing my clip solution for the H31. Firstly, I removed the GITD O-ring on the body. I then used the wire clip from my Leatherman Serac S3. The S3 has been relegated to glovebox duties and as such the clip isn't really require. The clip fits into the groove for the GITD almost like it was made for it. Check out some of the pics below:

5160963774_585890117c_z.jpg

5160359447_f29457def3_z.jpg

5160359093_863cabd00e_z.jpg

5160359315_9a2dea9282_z.jpg

5160359385_1664d7ce09_z.jpg

Written by NoFair on 11-09-2010 02:53 AM GMT

Very nice!

Imho they should come with a clip like that instead of the current one.

Written by Cemoi on 11-09-2010 10:02 AM GMT

RedForest UK said:
I just left the stock clip on, cut the circular loops off of the GITD headband and cut some notches in the back. Then it clips/unclips onto the headband attachment great
Pictures would be welcome Pictures would be welcome :whistle:

Written by psychbeat on 11-09-2010 03:20 PM GMT

^^^what he said..

tempting mod.

Written by anyheck on 11-10-2010 10:35 AM GMT

davidt1 said:
What is the pocket clip that you have on your light? What is the pocket clip that you have on your light?

The one I received with my H501w was a much bulkier rubber thing similar to the headband rubber holder. Yours is much more compact.

Written by nekomane on 11-13-2010 01:13 AM GMT

Belstaff1464 said:
snip*I'd like to reciprocate by sharing my clip solution for the H31. Firstly, I removed the GITD O-ring on the body. I then used the wire clip from my Leatherman Serac S3.
The day after I read your post, I was in Portland OR. There were a bunch of flyers near the hotel front desk, and what do I see but one for the Leatherman Factory Store located 2 minutes drive away. The day after I read your post, I was in Portland OR. There were a bunch of flyers near the hotel front desk, and what do I see but one for the Leatherman Factory Store located 2 minutes drive away.

I dropped by to find the Serac S3 for a bargain price and got 2 of them just for the clip.

Expect to see a pair of clipless lights on BST :D

Thanks for the great find Belstaff!

Written by davidt1 on 11-13-2010 05:01 AM GMT

anyheck said:
What is the pocket clip that you have on your light?

The one I received with my H501w was a much bulkier rubber thing similar to the headband rubber holder. Yours is much more compact.
It's this Fenix clip. It's sold online for about $5. It's this Fenix clip. It's sold online for about $5.

IMG_5871.jpg

Written by SpacemanSpiff23 on 11-15-2010 12:02 AM GMT

Does that fenix clip fit on there without any modding?

This thread has convinced me to get a Zebralight. Thanks a lot guys. :(

Written by Belstaff1464 on 11-15-2010 04:07 AM GMT

nekomane said:
The day after I read your post, I was in Portland OR. There were a bunch of flyers near the hotel front desk, and what do I see but one for the Leatherman Factory Store located 2 minutes drive away.

I dropped by to find the Serac S3 for a bargain price and got 2 of them just for the clip.

Expect to see a pair of clipless lights on BST :D

Thanks for the great find Belstaff!

You're welcome. I'm looking for another S3 just for the clip. I snagged mine for $30 from eBay....

Written by davidt1 on 11-15-2010 11:06 AM GMT

SpacemanSpiff23 said:
Does that fenix clip fit on there without any modding?

This thread has convinced me to get a Zebralight. Thanks a lot guys. :(
It fits the H501 without any modding. I modded mine for a darker color to match the light a little better. It fits the H501 without any modding. I modded mine for a darker color to match the light a little better.

Written by finefire on 11-15-2010 11:03 PM GMT

Had an old leatherman in the console of the truck, just ran out to check and sure enough, its the correct clip. Now just waiting for the light to arrive!

Written by candlelight001 on 11-15-2010 11:48 PM GMT

What magnets do you use? Where exactly do you put them? How does it not mess up the electronics? Awesome mod, want to try it.

Written by davidt1 on 11-16-2010 10:41 AM GMT

candlelight001 said:
What magnets do you use? Where exactly do you put them? How does it not mess up the electronics? Awesome mod, want to try it.
I bought the magnets from DX, not sure what kind they are though. I glue one on the outside of the tail cap and attach another one on it. No, they don't mess up the electronics. If you use magnets, just remember that they stick to other metals. It's best to keep the light in a sheath or something like that. I bought the magnets from DX, not sure what kind they are though. I glue one on the outside of the tail cap and attach another one on it. No, they don't mess up the electronics. If you use magnets, just remember that they stick to other metals. It's best to keep the light in a sheath or something like that.

Here is one example why 2 magnet can be useful. I use the magnets to attach the light to the shirt to keep it from moving when I run or bend over.

IMG_5598-1.jpg

Written by jag-engr on 11-17-2010 12:53 PM GMT

Great news from Belstaff's thread about the S3 clip...

jag-engr said:
Do you by any chance know if it will fit on the AA H51?
nekomane said:
Yes it does.

Looks like the diameter where the clip attaches is the same.

I actually thought Belstaff1464's post in the Zebralight Mod thread was refering to the H51 until reading this thread.

Great find!

h51clip.jpg

Written by davidt1 on 11-23-2010 12:38 PM GMT

Not a mod, but how useful a mod can be. I added two more speakers to my surround system and had to rewire a bunch of speakers in a tight spot. There are a few times when it is not an advantage to use my H501 as a headlamp, and this was one of those times. The magnets made the jobs easier.

IMG_5905.jpg

Written by cistallus on 01-09-2011 03:53 AM GMT

I finally made myself a "davidt1-style" H501w neck/headband (that I last mentioned in post #18 in this thread).

From the local drugstore I got a pair of flat black "Outdoor" shoelaces, Kiwi part number 915, 40" (102cm) (for 4-5 eyelets): http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite...eavy-duty.html It's just a bit long - a 36" or 34" pair would have been slightly better. They are about 3/8" wide and slightly stretchy.

From my camping stuff I got a toggle (cord lock), like these: http://www.rei.com/product/611240 or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OPMGKM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Instead of an elastic loop, I used two pieces of 3/4" wide double-sided Velcro tape. I've seen these available as precut strips, but I cut mine (about 4" long each) from a long roll of "One-Wrap" part number 90340: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000078CUB/?tag=cpf0b6-20 or http://www.velcro.com/index.php?page...ation-one-wrap and, putting the middle of the shoelace along the body of the light, wrapped each of these tightly around the middle of the body of the light. It's tight enough to hold it well yet lets me rotate the light up or down.

It works very well and comfortably as both a neck light and head light and is far more compact and pocketable than the ZebraLight-supplied headband.

Instead of magnets, I put two small safety pins on the lace near the body of the light, so if I have a need for extended use when bending over, I can pin it to my shirt so it doesn't swing around.

Thanks to davidt1 for a great idea!

Written by davidt1 on 01-09-2011 05:15 AM GMT

Cistallus,

Thanks for posting links to the stuff you use. I am always looking for ways to improve my setup. I am intrigued by your use of Velcro and safety pins. Can you post some pictures? Thanks.

Written by B0wz3r on 01-14-2011 11:40 AM GMT

Hi all,

I've had my H51w for a few days now, and last night I got inspired and came up with some cool attachment/carry ideas for the new light. Here are some quick and dirty shot from my phone:

With a small split ring through the clip.

4Sevens finger-holder is just right for this thing.

With a 4sevens lanyard clipped onto the split ring for around the neck carry.

The clip is fairly sturdy, so unless someone was going to grab the light itself and not the clip, and then yank pretty hard on it, it doesn't seem like it's going to go anywhere.

Written by davidt1 on 01-14-2011 12:01 PM GMT

Good mod!!!

Written by Bolster on 01-14-2011 05:32 PM GMT

I often give lectures in darkened rooms (due to presentations running on a nearby screen), so this is a clamp I machined of aluminum that fits a small camera tripod. It sits, hangs, or grips the podium and I can see my notes.

Flashlight%20Clamp%20Sm.jpg

I've toyed with the idea of fabricating these for sale. Curious if there's any interest.

Written by Bolster on 01-14-2011 05:39 PM GMT

OT: Regarding clips. If you're willing to drill and tap two small holes, Spyderco knife clips are available a la carte from their factory store. They are very high quality and not much money. Not recommending this for a Zebralight mod, no room. Just general info.

Written by davidt1 on 02-03-2011 12:23 PM GMT

Just adding some hip-pop style use of a ZL light. That's all, yo.

IMG_6266.jpg

Written by davidt1 on 02-05-2011 10:42 AM GMT

Shorty66, the thread starter, has the slimmest ZL setup here. His setup sets the standard for compactness, and one which I try to emulate.

Shorty66's ultra compact ZL setup.

pfheadband.jpg

pfheadband.jpg
http://img101.imageshack.us/i/pfheadband.jpg/

I have traded the shoelace headband for something a little thinner. The cord is just as comfortable as the shoelace to wear and leaves no mark.

IMG_6342.jpg

I%20have%20always%20wonder%20if%20the%20string%20headband%20would%20leave%20mark%20on%20his%20forehead%20after%20wearing%20it%20for%20more%20than%20an%20hour.%20%20I%20hope%20he%20still%20around%20to%20answer%20this%20question.

Written by davidt1 on 02-18-2011 03:48 PM GMT

James Bond watch/headband mod:

The cord/shoelace headband is great for many tasks except for running because of the bouncing created by excess body movement. Any elastic headband not supported by a top strap suffers from the same problem because elastic materials stretch under pressure. For runners, a jockstrap headband offers the rigidness and stability needed to keep the headlamp from bouncing around. Jockstrap headbands are, unfortunately, bulky and unsuitable for on-person EDC. If you run and need a headband that doesn't stretch, a Velcro headband is a smaller alternate to bulky jockstrap headbands.

I know Velcro doesn't stretch and offers the stability needed to keep my ZL light from bouncing around during a run. But I need to be able to carry it on my-person discreetly. Below is a mod that would make James Bond proud.

Citizen Eco-drive watch

IMG_6361.jpg

Is also headband for headlamp/MP3 player/wound dressing/compression strap/etc. in James Bond fashion.

IMG_6368.jpg

Written by B0wz3r on 02-19-2011 01:17 PM GMT

I've come up with an interesting way of using my H51w... so much so that once I get my new Spark next week, I'm considering using the 51w this way all the time.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll let a photo do the talking here.

Using a 4Sevens 'fingerloop' held in place by the clip of the H51w.

The advantage of this is it frees your entire hand for use; you're not holding the light inside your hand like you would have to with a regular type of flashlight.

Notice that I've put the fingerloop under the clip, so the pressure from the clip keeps the light from rotating in the loop. To change the angle, simply slip the loop down into the clip to free it, rotate the light to the desire angle in the loop, then slide the loop up under the clip again. And, it puts light wherever you are reaching. So you get the hands free utility of the headlamp combined with the directionality and control of a flashlight. You also don't get tunnel vision this way either. :D

Written by srfreddy on 02-19-2011 02:32 PM GMT

davidt1, what kind of glue did you use? also, how thick and how wide of a magnet do you think could fit under the spring in the tailcap?

Written by davidt1 on 02-19-2011 05:16 PM GMT

srfreddy said:
davidt1, what kind of glue did you use? also, how thick and how wide of a magnet do you think could fit under the spring in the tailcap?
I use Krazy glue because it's not the strongest because I want to be able to remove the magnet easily if I wanted to. If you want to glue the magnet there permanently, Locktite Universal Adhesive works well. I used it once and couldn't remove the magnet later. Had to grind the magnet away with a power tool. I use Krazy glue because it's not the strongest because I want to be able to remove the magnet easily if I wanted to. If you want to glue the magnet there permanently, Locktite Universal Adhesive works well. I used it once and couldn't remove the magnet later. Had to grind the magnet away with a power tool.

I don't know the dimensions for a magnet that would fit inside the tail cap. Shorty66, the thread starter, did this mod. Perhaps he can answer your question.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big thanks to whomever saved this thread! Repost of this clamp because I changed hosting servers:

zebraclamp.jpg

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
cistallus,

I have page 1 cache - including posts 27-30. I'll try PMing it to you - I think you should be able to do a simple copy/paste back at the end of your #27...

- Jas.

cistallus

Enlightened
Big thanks to whomever saved this thread!

I was just lucky it was still in a cache when I looked recently for any thread where I posted.

cistallus,

I have page 1 cache - including posts 27-30. I'll try PMing it to you - I think you should be able to do a simple copy/paste back at the end of your #27...

- Jas.

Done - I put them at the front of my post so they are in order.

kevinm

Enlightened
I'd also like to how to open these (particularly, the H501 switch and the H51 lens).

Thanks,
Kevin

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it is possible to open and if you were able to would require special machine to close.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

You remember Davidt1's excellent accessory, the home-made, elastic-sleeve-with-round-the-neck holder? It just got one step easier to make...you can buy the elastic sleeve at your local Walgreen's pharmacy. It's for sprained fingers. They are called "Fingers TM Comforts Jammed & Sprained Fingers." In the first-aid section. Also found them online here: http://www.medco-athletics.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=39012

I found the Large size a little too loose for my H501s, but the Medium size is just right. Like Davidt1 says, this makes for a great alternate form of attachment, good for EDC carry on your person. I can see this coming in handy during travel...I always need a reading light when entering a taxi at night, but don't want to freak out the cabby by donning a headlamp. This will be ideal, just pull it from under the shirt and use it. Thanks DavidT1!!!

EDIT: Reread some of DavidT1's posts and added the cord lock he recommended. Now it can be easily and quickly adjusted for height if worn on the chest, or adjusted to fit as a makeshift headlamp, armlamp, wristlamp, or whatever. I think I will "upgrade" from cord to shoelace as it looks more comfortable.

zebra-finger.jpg

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

An excellent thread, much of which was feared lost in the crash of Feb 2011, but which was thankfully rescued from cache copies made by cistallus and Ja(me)s.

I have added it to the Threads of Interest sticky.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The "Rhino" double Zebralight helmet mount...

helmet-finalfront.jpg

Last edited:

carhound

Newly Enlightened

Has anyone made a removeable red filter for any of these lights?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone made a removeable red filter for any of these lights?

I have for my H501. I don't have much use for a red light. I was mod-happy and wanted to do one for fun. Don't have it any more.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

You remember Davidt1's excellent accessory, the home-made, elastic-sleeve-with-round-the-neck holder? It just got one step easier to make...you can buy the elastic sleeve at your local Walgreen's pharmacy. It's for sprained fingers. They are called "Fingers TM Comforts Jammed & Sprained Fingers." In the first-aid section. Also found them online here: http://www.medco-athletics.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=39012

I found the Large size a little too loose for my H501s, but the Medium size is just right. Like Davidt1 says, this makes for a great alternate form of attachment, good for EDC carry on your person. I can see this coming in handy during travel...I always need a reading light when entering a taxi at night, but don't want to freak out the cabby by donning a headlamp. This will be ideal, just pull it from under the shirt and use it. Thanks DavidT1!!!

EDIT: Reread some of DavidT1's posts and added the cord lock he recommended. Now it can be easily and quickly adjusted for height if worn on the chest, or adjusted to fit as a makeshift headlamp, armlamp, wristlamp, or whatever. I think I will "upgrade" from cord to shoelace as it looks more comfortable.

zebra-finger.jpg

I am glad you find this mod useful. For me, this is what sets a ZL headlamp apart from the rest. I am wearing my H51w under my shirt while typing this in a public library right now. Talk about being ready for anything, anywhere and any time! But it's not just the discreet EDC that makes a ZL headlamp unique. It's the discreet use that counts as well. For most tasks you should be able to use the light worn around your neck at chest level. You simply can't do this with a bulky jockstrap headlamp (assuming you can carry one with you in the first place) I notice you don't have a clip on yours. I use the clip for two reasons: 1. it acts as a stabilizer of sort to reduce bouncing. 2. If I ever needed to clip my light in my pocket, having the clip already on the light makes the process quicker.

Sorry for the late response. I have been so happy with my H51w that I have no desire to even look at another light. Thus, my absence from CPF. The only light I am interested in is the H502w. It would have to be one amazing light to replace my H51w as an EDC light though.

Last edited: