ZebraLight Mods

carhound

Newly Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

I have for my H501. I don't have much use for a red light. I was mod-happy and wanted to do one for fun. Don't have it any more.
got any pics? What did you use for materials?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

got any pics? What did you use for materials?

Sorry no more pictures. I posted them a long ago. Then deleted them. I used some webbing material cut from a strap.

scout24

Flashaholic

Having been inspired by a lot of the awesome mods and ideas in this thread, I thought I'd throw in my $.02 worth... I think the pocketclip and magnets were fantastic ideas, and sought to combine the two. I used a stock Ra Clicky clip which gives a nice, deep carry that offers some more stability due to it's width, and a wide mounting point for the magnets. Some Dremel work as well as some bending work had a clip that fits well IMHO. Shrink wrap around the body, and then a layer over the clip holds nicely but allows the clip to rotate on the body as seen without much trouble. More than enough friction to hold the angle of your choosing, though. This has held up well through moderate carry and use so far. H501w, current programming with a lower low available... I wish this could be had with the same modes as my sc51w that has memory. Thanks for the inspiration folks! :)

P1010799.jpg

P1010800.jpg

P1010801.jpg

P1010802.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

scout24,

Thanks for sharing your idea.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small but important part of the neck lanyard/headband for the H501 is the clip. It adds a bulge to the round body of the light and makes it harder for the light to rotate accidentally. It also gives the light some stability and helps reduce the bouncing. The clip I use is a $3 Fenix clip sold by BatteryJunction. It's the best clip for AAA and small AA lights I have found.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-fx-pc.html

H501 and H51w side-by-side

IMG_6672.jpg

To adjust the angle of the beam, I hold the the clip with one hand while rotating the light with the other hand.
IMG_6678.jpg

You are looking at the pinnacle of headlamp usefulness and EDC friendliness here. Worn all day. Tucked discreetly behind shirt when not in use. Put in front of shirt during use. Move to the head when used as headlamp. Ready for any any emergency anywhere and any time.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a believer in this carry style; I have seen the light! Until DavidT's neck carry option I'd not EDC'd a headlamp in public due to strap bulk and...well, call it "social awkwardness"...but I'm EDCing an H501w now (in bag, and if I think I'll need it, then around neck), without the Zebralight headband. I have a setup similar to David's, using the Walgreen's 'Fingers' bandage/protector, but I don't own the clip yet. I went with the "flat & slightly stretchy boot shoelace" option which serves well as both headlamp strap and around-the-neck.

The around-the-neck use is fantastic with a wide floody beam (wouldn't try it with any other type of beam though as you can't aim it as well). I have my "final" CERT test in a few days where they throw us into a dark room and make us sort through (pretend) injured bodies. I'll have my neck-light tucked under my shirt, and will be able to deploy and use BOTH hands while everyone else struggles with their clumsy and dim 2D flashlights and one hand.

Love cheating on a test!! Anyway, if you haven't tried the DavidT Carry, try it! It's worth the effort of assembling the pieces the first time you need it:

- flat boot shoelace or paracord with "guts" removed (it flattens out then, still very strong)
- cord lock (mine from REI)
- elastic sleeve (Check Walgreen's first aid section for the Fingers bandage if you don't want to make your own)
- clip, as above.
- Optional...an acrylic tube to carry it in, that's what I use when stored in my bag.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Sorry for the late response. I have been so happy with my H51w that I have no desire to even look at another light. Thus, my absence from CPF.
Whew - thought we lost ya... but then I understand it's hard to improve when you've found your ideal. I do think the H502w will be a special light too, though. Good to see you back!

:thumbsup: - Jas.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whew - thought we lost ya... but then I understand it's hard to improve when you've found your ideal. I do think the H502w will be a special light too, though. Good to see you back!

:thumbsup: - Jas.

Yeah, I am eagerly waiting for the H502w. After getting that light, I will probably be done with buying lights for a long time.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

While the neck lanyard/headband is super convenient, it is not the most stable when used as a headband. This is because the lanyard is more or less a string. As I have posted in the previous page, a headband made of velcro is a good solution to reduce bouncing. It works because velcro doesn't stretch like elastic material. I use the one sold at Walmart because it is the thinnest I could find. When you EDC about 20 items on your person everyday, every ounce and inch you can shave off helps. I EDC both the neck lanyard and the velcro headband on my person at all times. The neck lanyard is used about 80% of the times. For those times when I run, or work in tight and awkward positions, the velcro headband is needed.

The thin material doesn't take up a lot space and allows for wrapping around my wrist. Not in the picture, but I normally wear my watch over it.
IMG_6688.jpg

When needed, it becomes a headband stable enough for run
IMG_6692.jpg
ning.
IMG_6692.jpg

It also turns my ZL light into a wrist light, which is fantastic for running.
IMG_6695.jpg

When I am dressed up and don't want to wear it on my wrist, there is always the ankle.
IMG_6697.jpg

The velcro headband is just one more way to EDC and use these amazing ZL lights. It's a great item for everyday and emergency use too. I was helping someone move a few weeks ago. We needed to tie two items together. It took me seconds to remove the velcro from my wrist to secure the items while the guy I was helping looked around for some rope.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting, tell me how wrist mount is fantastic for running? When I run I flail my arms back and forth quite a bit...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting, tell me how wrist mount is fantastic for running? When I run I flail my arms back and forth quite a bit...

Then I suppose it won't be fantastic for you.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Anybody disassembled a zebralight to have it refinished? I love everything about my zebras except for the cheesy gold finish

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then I suppose it won't be fantastic for you.

LOL David. Yes I'm a spazz. On the other hand, I have this vision of you running without moving your arms...

Let's just admit that a running light needs a gyroscope mounted to it...!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL David. Yes I'm a spazz. On the other hand, I have this vision of you running without moving your arms...

Let's just admit that a running light needs a gyroscope mounted to it...!

Just put it on your head when you run. I promise it won't bounce as much as the stock headband. A box of this velcro cost about $6 and can make 4 headbands. That's less than any retail velcro headband sold. Both the neck lanyard and the velcro headband take up less space than the stock headband and can be carried discreetly (along with your ZL light) on your person whether you are in a boardroom meeting, at a construction site, in a cave, in church, etc.

With the addition of this velcro headband, my UL, hand-free, on-person, ready-for-any-emergency, anywhere and any time, all-in-one light system is now complete.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened

What type of glue are you guys using to attach the magnets to the tail caps?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used some paracord and the extra holder that came with the H501w to put together this simple rig. I'll probably make this a bit neater and more permanent with some actual connectors or crimp sleeves or the like on the paracord (maybe)...and I might see if ZebraLight will sell me a couple of extra holders to experiment with.

This doesn't move around much at all (wide and rubbery footprint), but I don't use it this way in too many situations where I'm worried about motion. Outside in the dark (or in the attic or wherever), I prefer the headband since I want the light to point where I'm looking. Even with a flood, it's pretty easy to look outside the zone of coverage if the light is stationary on my chest. On the flip side, this is much more convenient than the headband...and doesn't give me headband hair. ;)

IMG_0159a.jpg

swingert

Newly Enlightened
Nice idea, varuscelli. I imagine if you were to put a cord lock on the p-cord "lanyard" it could also be tightened up and used as a headband.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea, varuscelli. I imagine if you were to put a cord lock on the p-cord "lanyard" it could also be tightened up and used as a headband.

Hey, that's a really good idea, swingert. You probably wouldn't want to wear it for long stretches like that (guessing that it might be a bit uncomfortable after a while compared to a wide headband...but with the light weight of these headlamps, you never know). In the very least it would be great for a quick switch to headband as needed for short stretches. It would also allow for any shortening and lengthening of the hanging length when worn around the neck, which can (I think) be desirable at times. Great thought.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

And here it is (minutes later) attached to a SureFire Z33 Lanyard Kit that I happened to have in my parts box.

Brilliant idea, swingert. Looks this was the ideal missing ingredient for the terminal end.

And as you suggested, it works just fine in "lanyard headband" mode as well as allowing it to be worn around the neck. Very cool -- and very versatile.

Note: the reason I have looped the cord across the top/front of the holder is that if I let the cord just run through the two slots in the holder, it tends to make the holder "bunch" or squeeze together just a bit side to side (the downward weight of the light). So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to run the cord to prevent any squeezing or bunching of the holder (the "bunching" tends to keep the holder from sitting as flatly against the chest when the lanyard is worn around the neck).

This would look really good using the black holder, too...but I've got that one on the actual ZebraLight headband.

IMG_0204a.jpg