ZebraLight Mods

swingert

Newly Enlightened
That looks great, and amazing turnaround on producing the product and uploading the image!

Please do let us know how it works in headband mode over longer periods of time. With the light weight of the light and if the cord is a little stretchy I'm thinking it could be quite comfortable.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks great, and amazing turnaround on producing the product and uploading the image!

Please do let us know how it works in headband mode over longer periods of time. With the light weight of the light and if the cord is a little stretchy I'm thinking it could be quite comfortable.

The only thing I'm seeing that's not as desirable with the lanyard locks is the bulkiness of the locking end piece when worn around the neck.

For instance, if the paracord is tied or uses a smaller connector, the cord itself can be easily slipped under a shirt collar and not be visible. The problem (although not a large problem) is that the end cord and lanyard locks stick out a bit awkwardly from the back of the neck. It might be that one of the flat/oval lanyard locks would work better for around-the-neck use -- or some other kind of lanyard locks that are less bulky than the ones I have on hand. It's not that is has to be worn under a shirt collar, but you do end up with an extended bit of cord/locks sticking out from the back of the neck.

Of course, I might be able to rig the lanyard and locks to work more like a bolo tie with the lock pushing up from the bottom (allowing adjustable height for the light on the chest)...but then the headband concept wouldn't work right (unless turning/flipping/reversing the holder on the fly -- relatively easily -- would be a workable option).

On wearing the paracord lanyard as a headband, it works pretty well. The headlamp is definitely lightweight enough that it doesn't bear down uncomfortably on the thin paracord, and the paracord is actually pretty comfortable around the head. It's not as secure as a stretchy headband, but it's certainly workable. Tightening the locks against the back of the head is a bit awkward (a possible hair puller). It's almost as though the best way of tightening it is to cinch it up as close as possible to the back of the head, remove the lanyard briefly and cinch it up a slight bit more, then pull it down over the head. It's a bit difficult to explain, but cinching this particular lanyard lock snugly against the back of my head is a bit more difficult than it might seem. I can cinch it up close enough to stay in place, but not close enough to be as snugly fit as is probably desirable.

This is a great step in usability overall. Just a couple of irregularities to figure out.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZebraLight H501w Bolo Tie

110809-002a.jpg

110809-006a.jpg

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ZebraLight Mods (Separate Accessories)

Note of Interest: I contacted ZebraLight about purchasing extra accessories and found that although they don't necessarily make ordering such items evident via the website they do make such things as extra headbands, headlamp holders and pocket clips available (at what seem to me to be very reasonably low prices with low shipping costs).

I've ordered a some extra headlamp holders to experiment with (black and glow-in-the-dark) and they said they'd throw in a pocket clip for free with the order. The extra holders seem to be about $2.50 each and extra headbands only about $2 each (according to an earlier correspondence). Shipping on these items seems to run about $2.95 for small/lightweight items or a combination of small items.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some good FYI stuff for ZebraLight fans out there.

I ordered two black holders and two GITD holders to use to play with different "holder mods" for my H501w. Cost for those items was $12.95 including shipping.

I was told that I'd get a couple of extra goodies with my order. Here's what I received:

Two black holders WITH headbands
Two GITD holders
One GITD holder with lanyard
One pocket clip
One set of o-rings.

Talk about a lot of bang for the buck. Very happy here.

Kudos to ZebraLight for excellent customer service and generosity. Not only are they winning me over with their lights but with their customer service as well.

All my correspondence was with Lillian at ZebraLight (Irving, TX), so I'm pretty sure she's the one who set me up with all this neat stuff. Thank you, Lillian.

110815-001a.jpg

g.p.

Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

I use the same glue to attach Leds, artic ceramic two parts.

I found some rare earth magnets on ebay that were the perfect size, but I couldn't find Artic Ceramic locally. After some reading I found out that JB Weld is used to attach magnets in high perfomance RC airplane motors. I figured if it could handle that type of enviroment that it would probably work for my flashlight. Gave it a try last night and it seems to have made a great bond.

Thanks for the magnet idea and all of the help!

margret green

Banned
Re: Zebralight Mods

when I SEE the post, I am facsinate with great innovation for putting some place you want.
it is very creative.

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened

I found some rare earth magnets on ebay that were the perfect size, but I couldn't find Artic Ceramic locally. After some reading I found out that JB Weld is used to attach magnets in high perfomance RC airplane motors. I figured if it could handle that type of enviroment that it would probably work for my flashlight. Gave it a try last night and it seems to have made a great bond.

Thanks for the magnet idea and all of the help!

This may be a very delayed reply but thanks for the information in any case. A quick question for the guys who have their magnets on the outside of the light...why stick it to the light..? Shouldn't the magnetism be enough to keep it in place..? (I understand removing it from other metal object may present a problem if not glued in place).

Also is there any chance that the magnets can damage or interfere with the batteries or the light internal circuits...? (Same goes for things that may be carried close to the flashlight..ie. cellphone in pockets etc.)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zenbaas,

The body of the light is aluminum. There is really nothing for the magnet to attach to. That's why it needs to be glued in place.

The magnet does pull on the battery a little. I used 2 magnets on my H501 and they eventually pulled the battery away from the head enough to cause it to stop making contact. This happened after about 8 months. If you use only one magnet, there is nothing to worry about. For 2 magnets I suggest adding a spacer between the cap and first magnet.

I have asked Zebralight (through CPF only) to use a thicker battery spring (like the one they use on the SC600) on their future lights. Hopefully, someone with better contact with them will pass the information along.

No the magnet does not hurt the internal circuit in any way.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used 2 magnets on my H501 and they eventually pulled the battery away from the head enough to cause it to stop making contact. This happened after about 8 months. If you use only one magnet, there is nothing to worry about.

I have a friend with an H501 who had the spring compress over the course of about 3 months, and he used NO magnet. He stretched the spring back, no harm no foul. But the point is, the magnet may not be causing the spring compression. The spring is known to do that on its own.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my case, it was the magnets because once I took one of the magnets off everything worked again.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

To illustrate the pulling affect the magnets have on the battery:

I use 2 magnets here. One magnet won't hold the battery at all. There is absolutely nothing to worry about if you use one magnet.
IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_6924.jpg

Last edited:

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the informative replies David. Appreciate it! :) As the the body being aluminum...well what can I say but.... Doh! lol. The thought of glueing a magnet to my new light makes me want to cringe just a little bit although I know from experience that having something that can stick to a metal surface can prove to be invaluable when you really need it...!

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I have always shied away from headlamps before. However, all these great mods and ideas have peaked my interest in going for a Zebralight H51. With respect to the magnet mod, I understand they can be attached with JB Weld. Q: Would someone please recommend what type, size, and where I could buy the magnets from? Thank you.:thumbsup: