Zebralight SC600-III (XHP35, 1x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
A dealer website says there is an audible inductor whine on level H2A. What say you? Thanks.
Lastly some thermal foam between the board and the reflector sandwiched in there semi-tight to bleed out more heat and possible dampen out some of the high pitched whine I get in a few hi modes.
Not on my sample (or my ears) - I can't hear anything on any of the modes. Inductor whine is possible on any light that uses them (which is most), although I expect the potting here should greatly attenuate it (if present).

I was curious how the HI version would compare so I did a reading on my Dr. Meter LX1330B Light Meter @2 meters after 30 seconds runtime on H1. Converted to 1 meter I get 17.2K Lux. Compared with the 13.3K Selfbuilt got on the regular version I would say it appears there is some benefit to the HI version of the light for throw.
That sounds reasonable. You could take it out to 10m and calculate back to be consistent with my measures. However, while I don't know that meter, for other similar budget-priced ones I've noticed that calibration can be off to up to ~30% (or more). But I would expect something in the ~17K range is not unreasonable for a HI version.

That would depend on your use. I sometimes use my lights in -40 to -50C with windchill. I have to keep them in my pocket to keep the batteries warm until the light is on to keep them warm. I think he meant to see the true difference.
Yeah, really cold ambient temps are interesting, but I think I'll leave it fan cooling. I've experimented with ice packs (etc) on occasion, and it does tend to get pretty messy in my office. :)

sdr

Newly Enlightened
Kudos, Selfbuilt, for this great review ~ Thanks, mate!

I purchased my first Zebralight SC600 back in November of 2011 and have since bought and carried the Mk II L2 cool white and neutral Mk II L2 in addition to my present day Mk III cool white, such as the one in Selfbuilt's excellent review.

What I can state unequivocally based upon my experience of more than 4 years of daily use is that this platform, the SC600, is one of the best, most dependable single celled 18650 LED flashlights on the market today. Regardless of which version I have used they have each performed flawlessly, day in and day out, month after month. My original SC600 works as well today as it did the very first day it was called into service nearly 4 and a half years ago.

It seems like only yesterday that I was blown away by the 750 lumens of that first SC600. And now we're talking about the Mk III which nearly doubles that output while shrinking a half inch in length and shedding more than a half ounce in weight. I call that simply amazing!

So, again, thank you for this excellent review of what I personally know to be a really great flashlight! I can't help but wonder what the future holds for the possibility of a Mk IV? Do I dare to dream!

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Of course but, in an emergency over stressing some CR123a's is going to be the least of your worries. Also, realistically H1 is rarely needed anyway. Remember too that the PID kicks in very fast greatly reducing current on H1 as well.
But all of that seems a bit of a stretch to deal with for an "emergency," assuming it's an actual emergency where power fails and all other flashlights either don't work or have been raptured off somewhere. At which point, it'd seem more prudent to just have a CR123a light somewhere with a stash of primaries as opposed to the right length and gauge of wire to jury rig this particular light.

Sure, it's all for the sake of argument I'm guessing, but it sounds like a grossly unrealistic one. Less realistic than needing H1 from this light.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review Selfbuilt. I like my SC600 MKIII CW a lot and like the new design/shape. I bought the 18650 (3500 ma) cell from Zebralight whith the light and do not have an issue. If I had a choice though, I would prefer a slight increase in length to accommodate a protected cell and have the capability of running 2 cr123's. My collection of Zebralights has now grown to a SC80, SC600 MKII, SC62w, and SC600 MKIII cw.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Nice review Selfbuilt. I like my SC600 MKIII CW a lot and like the new design/shape. I bought the 18650 (3500 ma) cell from Zebralight whith the light and do not have an issue. If I had a choice though, I would prefer a slight increase in length to accommodate a protected cell and have the capability of running 2 cr123's. My collection of Zebralights has now grown to a SC80, SC600 MKII, SC62w, and SC600 MKIII cw.
I couldn't agree more. Some drivers recognize CR123A and automatically step down the current. ZebraLight could easily do that. All they would really need to do is disable H1 so you go right to H2.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many on this forum have just one flashlight?

If anyone is in the position of having just one flashlight then the SC600 Mk3 is not the one to have.

The SC600 Mk3 is not a utility flashlight; it is a sophisticated designed light for small size and good power. The market has a good choice of flashlights for those who want a bullet proof flashlights that run on CR123a batteries.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really not happy on the battery limit size.

You are not the only one. It has been the biggest criticism with these lights and stopped many people from purchasing them. They are the only flashlight I have ever heard of with a 0.2mm cell tolerance:thumbsdow.

Last edited:

akhyar

Enlightened
Some of members-designed flashlights at the other forum can only accept non-protected cell, so I think it might be a trend to move to that direction due to the use of high-drain cells.
Furthermore, non-protected cells tend to be cheaper than their protected counterpart, eg if you compare the price of stock Sanyo NCR18650GA over the re-wrappers protected cells like 3500mAh from Keeppower, Obtronics, EVVA, etc.

I'm actually more peeved with Nitecore's decision of only using button-top cells, but that doesn't stop me from owning 4 Nitecore's lights.
All I can say is, some might not be pleased with ZL decision, but to some it is a non-issue

markr6

Flashaholic
All I can say is, some might not be pleased with ZL decision, but to some it is a non-issue

Non-issue to me. Buy an NCR18650GA for a decent price ($8) and you're done. The only extra step I take is wrapping it with a clear wrapper to eliminate (the slight) rattle.

I used to buy only button tops, so now I can't use those. But you won't see me complaining for an extra $7. I'll keep using those button tops in other lights. I like to pair cells to lights anyway.

tonkem

Enlightened
I agree. Prior to purchasing the new SC63, I did not own a non button top unprotected cell, but they are so cheap compared to the protected batteries that I have purchased in the past, that it is a non issue. I may end up changing all my batteries to the unprotected batteries, since I own mainly Zebralights, in rechargeable lights.

Non-issue to me. Buy an NCR18650GA for a decent price ($8) and you're done. The only extra step I take is wrapping it with a clear wrapper to eliminate (the slight) rattle.

I used to buy only button tops, so now I can't use those. But you won't see me complaining for an extra $7. I'll keep using those button tops in other lights. I like to pair cells to lights anyway.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Why doesn't Zebralight make flashlights that accept both protected cells and CR123.

I love their design, customizable UI and everything else, but this.

I just bought a SC62w so that I can use my protected cells. I can't use CR123 in either of them, anyway. :mecry:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why doesn't Zebralight make flashlights that accept both protected cells and CR123.

I just bought a SC62w so that I can use my protected cells. I can't use CR123 in either of them, anyway. :mecry:
ZebraLight is not a mass market maker of flashlights; they design flashlights for a market that can appreciate their design philosophy.

texas cop

Enlightened

This particular light is a bit of a hot rod it would take 4-CR123A's to properly run it. Single cell 18650's are drawing 4-5 amps. If sized for the 2-CR123A's then just about any 18650 would fit and all the problems with cheap cells, low threshold PCB's would pop up. Zebralight's thinking is "We put built in safeties, we can run it like a hot rod and all the customer has to do is use a proper high drain/high quality cell" Personally all of my 18650's are button top protected, especially in multi cell applications, except for this light. Just here their not and it's a cool little light.

markr6

Flashaholic
I think the max draw on a CR123 is 1.5A-3.0A depending on the cell. And that upper end could be the pulse rate. I could be wrong, but either way 2x123 in this light would scare me.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
The Olight S30 runs fine on 2xCR123, XM-L2 and 1000 lumens (stepped down to 600 after a couple of minutes).
Does the XHP35 draw more amps than XM-L2?

Enlighten me, please.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
The Olight S30 runs fine on 2xCR123, XM-L2 and 1000 lumens (stepped down to 600 after a couple of minutes).
Does the XHP35 draw more amps than XM-L2?

Enlighten me, please.

I've heard people reporting around 5A. But all I seem to measure on my DMM is around 3.3A. Still a decent current for this small light, though.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I think the max draw on a CR123 is 1.5A-3.0A depending on the cell. And that upper end could be the pulse rate. I could be wrong, but either way 2x123 in this light would scare me.
Just speculating here, but I believe the PID would have to be calibrated a LOT lower to run these Zebralights on 2xCR123A. I've seen many highly-driven 2xCR123A lights (including those with timed step-downs) trigger the PTC protection feature of CR123As on max output. Due to the chemistry differences, CR123A will run a lot hotter under high current loads. 2xCR123A is not well suited for maximally-driven lights.

Latest posts