Zebralight SC64c

markr6

Flashaholic
Both of those 219B beams look great. I think I prefer the d-c-fix since it leaves a little bit of a defined hotspot. How far away are you standing, about 8 feet?

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Both of those 219B beams look great. I think I prefer the d-c-fix since it leaves a little bit of a defined hotspot. How far away are you standing, about 8 feet?

Yep, they are both gorgeous in person. I love how smooth the floody optic looks, but I'm also leaning towards the d-c fix just because having a bit more throw is more useful to me in an EDC, and it gives the option of removing it if necessary. I will also have some frosted glass to test soon, which I suspect will be somewhere between the two. Final assembled output measures about 460 lumens with the d-c fix, or 440 lumens with the floody optic. I'm ordering more lights this week after I hear back from a tester.

Edit: I measured and it's almost exactly 8 feet :)

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
GL6apX7.jpg

I love how smooth the floody optic looks, but I'm also leaning towards the d-c fix just because having a bit more throw... and it gives the option of removing it

I like the floody optic,
but for a defined Hotspot application,
could you also please share a pic of the beam with just the clear lens, No-DC, No-Floody optic

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
I like the floody optic,
but for a defined Hotspot application,
could you also please share a pic of the beam with just the clear lens, No-DC, No-Floody optic

Certainly, I'll do that later tonight.

Edit: I apologize, I had to reinstall the reflector, but it got too late to take the actual photo tonight. I'll do it as soon as it's dark again.

Last edited:

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Clear glass as promised. I measured 5135 cd or about 143.3m turn-on throw at 505 lumens. The stock SC64c is about 128m at 770 lumens.

ktweoT3.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for your detailed info and follow through

I think I got these labeled right
45563163381_29cd415862_h.jpg

I think the diffused looks like the smoothest beam gradient. Now Im wondering what the lumens changes are with each iteration.. ;-)

personally, I do not care for diffused beams, and would stick with the glass, its a nice wide hotspot, with the most clarity
of course this is only my opinion, and in fact any and all of the choices are excellent.. hard to go wrong with the sw45

major respect

btw, do you mod HDS too?

you seem to have a good stash of my favorite LED ;-)

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
I measured this particular light and got 505 lumens with clear glass, 465 lumens with d-c fix ("diffusion film"), and about 440 lumens with the 15 degree frosted optic ("floody"). My personal preference is probably the d-c fix because the 219B has a very tight beam in the reflector and pretty much everything gets a bit of purple spill in ZL reflectors. The d-c fix smoothes things out really nicely and lets the 219B shine even more, and gives a reasonable 2745 cd or about 104.8m throw, plus the option of removing it if necessary. I have some frosted glass (and more SC64cs) on the way to test and will post the results of that too.

I'm familiar with HDS but I've never seen an HDS light in person. I gather they are possible to mod because people like emarkd have done multiple emitter swaps, but I've obviously never done it myself.

NPL

Enlightened
Clear glass as promised. I measured 5135 cd or about 143.3m turn-on throw at 505 lumens. The stock SC64c is about 128m at 770 lumens.

ktweoT3.jpg
Looks like a nice trade off in lumens. You get better throw and way nicer tint and CRI in return. Thanks for sharing.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
505 lumens with clear glass,
465 lumens with d-c fix
440 lumens with the 15 degree frosted optic

so
clear glass is 9% brighter than diffusion film, and
clear glass is 15% brighter than the frosted optic

I agree, DCFix is probably best, as it can be removed if desired

and yes, emarkd is an inspiration to me, but he wont do mods for other people.. :)

thank you for sharing your work, those little SW45 Zebras are Fantastic! I say "little" because they are actually smaller, lighter, Brighter, and considerably less expensive, than an HDS...

IF I was an 18650 user, I would be jumping all over those zebra mods youre doing.. (in fact, Im sending you a PM, cause I LOVE the SW45!)
major respect!

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Hey McBob,

Is the frosted glass the same as offered by ZebraLight, or is it a different kind? If the latter, can you provide a link?

I have an H53Fc and H53c + DC-Fix and my observations are similar (but with no numerical data). Very pleased with how efficient DC-Fix really is and highly recommend. I still prefer the frosted optics for headlamp use.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
thank you for sharing your work, those little SW45 Zebras are Fantastic! I say "little" because they are actually smaller, lighter, Brighter, and considerably less expensive, than an HDS...

The SC6x series has always been a personal favourite. The combination of size, power, and amazingly efficient regulated driver and thermal management is really something. Like you said it's actually smaller than an HDS 16340 light. I have an Armytek Prime C1 Pro I've been using as a modding platform this year, but it's hard to justify carrying it when the SC64c is the same size with 18650 and brighter to boot.

w60SOtx.jpg

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Hey McBob,

Is the frosted glass the same as offered by ZebraLight, or is it a different kind? If the latter, can you provide a link?

I have an H53Fc and H53c + DC-Fix and my observations are similar (but with no numerical data). Very pleased with how efficient DC-Fix really is and highly recommend. I still prefer the frosted optics for headlamp use.

I was able to secure some OEM frosted glass lenses. I suspect they will fall somewhere between the frosted optic and the d-c fix versions, but we'll see when I have a chance to install one. Might be a few weeks though. I definitely like them in my Zebralight headlamps.

For the d-c fix I was particularly pleased to see it makes very little difference to the tint. Maukka kindly did an informal test for me to check this.

Mx5Higb.png

dIK0MIv.png

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
frosted optics for headlamp use.

Me too! I do not like a hotspot from a headlamp used for close range and arms reach tasks...

atm I use a light with an Aspheric lens clipped to my hat, similar to the McGizmo $undrop lens except, that light wont clip to a hat, and co$t$ a bit more...

related to no hotspot in a beam
look at this recent comparison of an HDS with a non mirrored reflector on the left, essentially a white painted reflector.. No Hotspot!.. kinda nice..:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...se-Reflector&p=5246608&viewfull=1#post5246608
XPG 3700k w/DB on the left 219C 3500k on right
okWtj1g.jpg

not that Im suggesting painting the Zebra reflector White, when clearly DC Fix is equally effective, if not moreso.. I suspect the lumen loss is lower with DC fix..

BAM! even before I ask, you anticipate my next questions :)

For the d-c fix I was particularly pleased to see it makes very little difference to the tint. Maukka kindly did an informal test for me to check this.

Man! I really like your posting style.
Thanks for taking the time to share all these details and pics.

Last edited:

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Zebralight just added the SC64c LE to the spreadsheet, 4000K LH351D. I guess I should be flattered :p I hope they increase the top end a bit because the Samsung can easily handle 1000 lumens, but either way this will be a great light.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, I have seen the pictures above, and is the 4k yellow much?

Zebralight just added the SC64c LE to the spreadsheet, 4000K LH351D. I guess I should be flattered :p I hope they increase the top end a bit because the Samsung can easily handle 1000 lumens, but either way this will be a great light.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's quite yellow compared to 219B sw45k or E21A sm403, but about the same as something like a 219C.

Totally agree
I find 219c very green, comng from 219b

A friend modded an Olight S15 with a Samsung LH351D 4000k 90CRI.
He said:
"I'm not too happy with that one. Too much yellow/green"