Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, the spring is the negative path in these, and even if the bulb rattling when off was not a problem, it just won't light without the spring. My Eveready has not suffered from lack of brightness with the spring installed, but I wondered if in some bulbs it might not generate some kind of inductance that conflicts with the boost circuit.

I tried Progolding every contact in one of the lights, and that made no difference at all. I hate to conclude that the reflector is just not compatible with the bulb, but that may be the case. It does seem a bit shallow, but that is to be expected on a headlamp. The smoothness, and with a shim under the bulb flange, the size of the hotspot, are both very pleasing, so I would love to find the "missing" light. As it stands, I would continue to grab for my very blue River Rock headlamp, for brighness. This was going to be a long-running (although bigger), much whiter alternative to the RR. Any other ideas before I pop for return shipping and close the book on these?

Hondo

Skibane

Enlightened
carbine15 said:
cimg1828xv8.jpg

cimg1827kc5.jpg

.99cent clearance 2xAA Garrity glow in the dark light. The THROW with these hosts is amazing with the SMJLED. The smooth parabolic reflector sends 90% of the light straight out.

It's worth mentioning that Garrity also sells an almost-identical non- glow-in-the-dark version, under the ValueLite name (#V500GN) for an everyday, non-discounted price of 99 cents. Academy Sporting Goods is a good source for them.

I agree that the throw (and the beam quality) is excellent - Comparable to a M*G Light (albeit without adjustable focus). The flashlight itself also seems exceptionally well-built for the money - Right up there with some "Industrial" models.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Skibane,

If you can make a more detailed picture of the reflector (not out of focus !!!)...

for example like this:

img6705nv8.jpg

Then maybe we can see for ourselves what great reflector-quality you have...

regards,

Ra.

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
An excellent host for the SMJLED is the Energizer 2-AA Princess or Cinderella flashlight! Not only does this light have an internal metal ring around the PR socket that acts as a heatsink for an LED retrofit, but the reflector has pink jewels around the edges, throwing light out to the sides of the head! The beam has a tight hotspot with an even, wide field. There are also other versions of this light available, such as Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, and Cars, that probably have the same construction.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a dunkability test with my 2 favorite cheap 2D SMJLED PR hosts. The Rayovac Industrial with LED battery meter and a Garrity Tuff Light.
I used an incan bulb in the Rayovac.

The results:

While the Rayovac did manage to stay lit, it got some water in the head. Looks like it was getting in through the switch. Might be ok in the rain if you aren't in a real good downpour. It was submerged for about 5 minutes.

Garrity, being advertised as waterproof, was dry as a bone. The head floats as advertised too.

I may have to re-think my cheap vehicle light and put the Garrity in that role.
I just wish there was a traffic cone that would fit the inner circumference of the 2D version like a 35mm film canister fits the 2xAA version. :awman:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
sMJLED-PR2 bulb

I got a couple of these from TrueBlue's special at $6.66 each.

sMJLEDpr2.jpg

and had been trying them out in some cheapo 2D and 2AA flashlights.

Last week I was in my local WalMart and came across these real cheapo 2D lights -

Eveready2D.jpg
Ray_o_Vac.jpg

The economy Eveready was $1.68 including 2x Super Heavy Duty D batteries and economy Ray-O-Vac was 99cents without batteries.

Sizes -
Ever_RaySz.jpg

The Eveready was shorter because of its shallower reflector and there is less hooding of the head.

Heads with sMJLED PR2 installed -
Ever_Ray3hds.jpg

As can be seen the Everready seems to doing a good compromise of facetting the central area to smooth out any rings with then out part mirror finished to maximize the reflected light. Being pretty shallow not only make the light shorter - but it also means the side-spill/corona is pretty wide.
The Ray-O-Vac is a much deeper polished reflector.

sMJLED PR2 in Eveready vs. Ray-O-Vac
Ever_RayO.jpg
Ever_RayO2U.jpg

The Eveready side-spill is really wide - it easily over-lapped the Ray-O-Vac beam. Although I like wide side-spills for the level of this light it seems to dissipate the side-spill too much - so that the hotspot is much, much brighter than the rest of the beam. The central facetting does not seem to have been effective in avoiding the central donut hole - there is one on the Ray-O-Vac too - but it's only at closer distances - by 3.5feet they are gone.

These sMJLED PR2 in 2D lights are significantly brighter than any of the MJLEDs or sMJLEDs I have in 2AA MiniMags - they seemed brighter than most 1watt Luxeons I have - they are almost comparable to 3wtt Luxeons......

sMJLED PR2 in Ray-O-Vac 2D vs. Fenix P1 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -
RayO_P1.jpg
RayO_P1U2.jpg

No, it's not quite as bright - but it is close and at least comparable and the throw is possibly better........

It's not a fluke......

sMJLED PR2 in Ray-O-Vac 2D vs. Nuwai Q3 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -
RayO_Q3.jpg
RayO_Q3U2.jpg

Different beam characteristics - but close/comparable......

I'm impressed.

The sMJLED PR2 in the Eveready is different since the shallower reflector spreads the light out more -

sMJLED PR2 in Eveready 2D vs. Fenix P1 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -
Ever_P1.jpg
Ever_P1U2.jpg

sMJLED PR2 in Eveready 2D vs. Nuwai Q3 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -
Ever_Q3.jpg
Ever_Q3U2.jpg

The sMJLED PR2 bulbs display the same blue tinted charateristics as my sMJLEDs tested in 2AA MiniMags - the one I had in the Ray-O-Vac has a marginally better tint than the one in the Eveready - but it is really only noticable side-by-side.

Here are the Stairway "Practical" Beamshots -
Stairs_Ever.jpg
Stairs_RayO.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
post deleted
since my sMJLED PR2 Bulb review thread has been merged into this one -
see Post #90 above.

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
Re: sMJLED-PR2 bulb

I bought 2 bulbs initially and added 1 more. I found the tint of the first 2 to be quite good, very white, but the 3rd was very blue, and annoyingly so.
Similar to your pics.
I wouldn't claim they are as bright as a 1W Lux, since I was able to compare both in identical hosts (Craftsman 3AAA Endurable). But drop one into a large and deep reflectored host and you get maximized output close to a Lux-1 in a smaller light.
Either way, they are still the best buy so far my 2006 purchases. Remarkable runtime.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

anyone have the 222 base bulbs for less than $15 shipped? Ive got some very old lights that need an upgrade.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I just landed the ultimate 2D SMJLED host!

I had to stop off at Wal-Mart to pick up a few items. So of course I browsed the flashlight section - same old stuff. (and still 2 empty MiniMagLED pegs)

Anyways, I was going by the fishing/camping section and saw this Coleman 2D light that was black and yellow. It has 2 flushed metal "sensors" on the side of the body that will activate the light if it gets dropped in water.(boater's light) It was 8 bucks, so I said, why not?

It has a larger head than a typical 2D and a smooth reflector. I wasn't really expecting much. At least as good as my Rayovac and Garrity hosts would be nice.

Man, was I ever wrong.

This sucker takes a SMJLED and launches it just as far as my 4D MagLED!

I was sitting in the backyard with my jaw dropping.:huh:
The spill is VERY generous too!

Do not walk - RUN - to your local Wal-Mart and see if they have any in stock. It will put a big smile on your face. Guaranteed.

Here's what they look like: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5338-791&categoryid=26008

Oh. And I should mention that the switch is on the body and covered with rubber. It has a nice, positive click feel to it. And once the light is on you can press on the switch lightly to momentarily turn it off and use it for signaling.

Coleman made an out of the park homerun with this host.

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nicely presented and professional VT!

May I request that you also test TB's upcoming WPR2 bulbs when they are released? I'd like to see how much brighter they are with the adjustments to the converter, and the warmer tint.

There's been a lot of confusion lately surrounding the MJ LED line, and I think the WPR2 will add one more iteration to the fray.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

EDIT: ^Just see above post.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
UnknownVT started a thread (post #90) about the SMJLED PR2 hosted in a couple lights. EXCELLENT pics/beamshots!! Felt it was more appropriate merged with this existing "hosts" thread...

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quoting myself regarding the PT Quest headlamp host:

Hondo said:
OK, this one is frustrating me, I picked up two of these with an order for PT Blasts to mod DD, so I could have a headlamp for the PR2 mod. I can't figure where the light is going. It just seems dimmer than any other flashlight host.

For those who have not seen one, a Quest is a 2xAA PR bulb headlamp.

I have spent a lot of time (too much) trying to figure this out, as the PT is a good looking headlamp host for these. I noted at first that it had a bit wider spill than an Eveready contractor or the Wallmart clone. Well, my conclusion is that the spill is really significantly greater, and given the square area covered by that increased spill angle, a lot more photons have to be spread out there. And they are coming from the hotspot intensity. Now in pitch dark, this ain't so bad, as most everything, and I mean even stuff outside my peripheral vision, is lit up very evenly, except in the hotspot. With the hotspot being not particularly hot, it does not spoil your vision for the stuff in the spill.

Problem is, unless it is real dark, it leaves you wanting for more intensity. And worse, some of that huge spill where the "missing" light I was looking for is going, is not even within your range of vision. It does give a first impression of being "dim", and I think I would like to graft in the reflector of one of the above flashlights if I got the motivation to carve up both lights. But, in a blackout situation, this setup could be your best buddy, it is very practical when it is pitch dark out. I guess I'll be keeping this light, but want to warn others that it is not like having a venerable 84 cent Wallmart light strapped to your head, for better or for worse.

Hondo

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Found a "Surelite" by Westinghouse, an "aluminum 2AA light"

It was 2 bucks at Dollar General in Corsicana, TX.

Stock, it's dim and crappy. With SMJLED PR, it's right on par with the United Outdoor 84 cent lights, or the Eveready Contractor 2AA for spot, spill and throw.

It looks a lot like a Garrity 2AA, the model with aluminum showing on part of the body with plastic head, bezel and tail. It has a reverse side clickie. And a Lanyard loop hanging from the side of the tail. It will tail stand.

Rats! I don't have enough SMJLED PRs to go around!!!

Last edited: