Makeover for Grandfather's Flashlight

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened
I used a reflector from a G&P xenonbulb...the one that looks like the P90 but is a tad smaller, I guess a G&P P90-clone would work as well since they are possible to dismount from the actual bulb... The added length of the bulb with the PR-Bipin-adapter makes the little bulb fokus perfect in the new reflector.
It´s all reversable and real easy to put together...
I´ll see if I can take som photos of it all tonight.

Im having trouble finding one of the G&P xenonbulb reflectors. Can you steer me to a source? Thanks

Edit: still hoping for more pics

Last edited:

Scattergun

Enlightened
I guess a regular G&P P90-clone would do as well, but I had this one around. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.977

Disassembled into bits and pieces, the slightly cut down reflector to the right. I cut it from the bottom, to get rid of the threaded part that mates it to the G&P bulb and springs.

oktober2007002ie3.jpg

The added reflector set inside the original one along with the KaiDomain bipin adapter and 7,2V Xenonbulb.
oktober2007003jx6.jpg

And now assembled again, the bezel doesn´t go all the way in, but hey that´s the thing with quite a lot of dropins these days!:grin2:

oktober2007004wj8.jpg

Sorry about being late, had no time until now to take the pictures...Hope this helps...

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened
I guess a regular G&P P90-clone would do as well, but I had this one around. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.977

Disassembled into bits and pieces, the slightly cut down reflector to the right. I cut it from the bottom, to get rid of the threaded part that mates it to the G&P bulb and springs.

oktober2007002ie3.jpg

And now assembled again, the bezel doesn´t go all the way in, but hey that´s the thing with quite a lot of dropins these days!:grin2:

oktober2007004wj8.jpg

Sorry about being late, had no time until now to take the pictures...Hope this helps...

It just feeds the addiction. You know what I mean? Is the original reflector metal or plastic? I couldnt see if it has a lens or not. Original, plastic or glass lens?

Is heat a problem at all? Is the bulb retainer made of some heat proof material? What kind of run time do you get?

please PM me with a price if youd consider selling.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the look of this light and it seems like a real cool project to take on. Good luck and I cant wait to see what you do with it.
ps...maybe I missed it but what is the brand of this light...
Thanks,
T

Last edited:

Scattergun

Enlightened
It just feeds the addiction. You know what I mean? Is the original reflector metal or plastic? I couldnt see if it has a lens or not. Original, plastic or glass lens?

Is heat a problem at all? Is the bulb retainer made of some heat proof material? What kind of run time do you get?

please PM me with a price if youd consider selling.

The reflector is metal, and the lens is glass. Heat is not really a problem, since a lot of it is soaked up by the added reflector.
The bulbretainer is made of some ancient type of plastic, nothing that melts anyway.

Sad to say, I can´t sell the light, my wife got it along with some things from her uncle when he died. I guess it holds some sentimental value to her.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the look of this light and it seems like a real cool project to take on. Good luck and I cant wait to see what you do with it.
ps...maybe I missed it but what is the brand of this light...Thanks, T

Interesting you should ask, I looked for a brand and could not find one! There is a small design on the tailcap I wish I had photographed, that might help. Maybe DatiLED will recognize the brand when he receives the light. I'm guessing by its fluted design, perhaps made in the 1930s? Anyone else want to guess?

As you can see, a portion of the light just ahead of the switch is actually copper, not brass. Originally it was coated in silver/chrome, but I like it this way. Looks old.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
The GH44 from Reflectalite is a bright MES bulb.

It pumps out 201 lumens from 10W @ 6V, so would propel you into RoP-low territory when overdriven.

Two of AW's C-lions or 2 3AAA battery carriers would do for power.

Just a thought.

Hey, question for you.. I have a set of bike lights which have these exact bulbs in them and I've been thinking about LED drop-in in order to bring 'em back to life. Not sure what the output on 'em is, I don't recall them being super bright, but they were bright enough for me.

I found what looks like a decent replacement, but you or anyone happen to know of a better one with the same MES/E10 screw base?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LIGHTS

The bike lights are 3v (internal batteries) or 6V (external pack).

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no real markings on the light. But if I had to guess, I would say it is a vintage Aurora light. The design on the tail of the light pictured is nearly identical. However, the switch is not the same.

I have the light apart, and am surprised at how thin the metal is throughout. I am really going to have to come up with a massive heatsink, and get the heat from the LED into the body. I am looking for a nice piece of aluminum, or copper to do the job. Home Depot to the rescue. The USVOH Seoul LED will be driven at 500mA, so it won't get too hot, too quickly. But I would rather have excessive heatsinking (is there such a thing?) than not enough.

I am currently getting rid of the oxidization on the light that is adding resistance to the ground path. The tail spring and body had over 1M ohm resistance when I first tried to power the light. I sanded the spring, added some copper braid, and was able to get the resistance to under 2 ohms. From head to tail, it is under 4 ohms. That is without any ProGold contact enhancer.

I'll post here when things are further along.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, question for you.. I have a set of bike lights which have these exact bulbs in them and I've been thinking about LED drop-in in order to bring 'em back to life. Not sure what the output on 'em is, I don't recall them being super bright, but they were bright enough for me.

I found what looks like a decent replacement, but you or anyone happen to know of a better one with the same MES/E10 screw base?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LIGHTS

The bike lights are 3v (internal batteries) or 6V (external pack).
Buy the GH44.
Upgrade from LED to incan.
Go from 50 to 200 lumens.
You know you want to.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome...man I am real excited to see the outcome of this light...I am looking for an old light similar to this one...I love the idea of giving and old light new life....this one is especially cool looking too....cant wait to see some pics...
There are no real markings on the light. But if I had to guess, I would say it is a vintage Aurora light. The design on the tail of the light pictured is nearly identical. However, the switch is not the same.

I have the light apart, and am surprised at how thin the metal is throughout. I am really going to have to come up with a massive heatsink, and get the heat from the LED into the body. I am looking for a nice piece of aluminum, or copper to do the job. Home Depot to the rescue. The USVOH Seoul LED will be driven at 500mA, so it won't get too hot, too quickly. But I would rather have excessive heatsinking (is there such a thing?) than not enough.

I am currently getting rid of the oxidization on the light that is adding resistance to the ground path. The tail spring and body had over 1M ohm resistance when I first tried to power the light. I sanded the spring, added some copper braid, and was able to get the resistance to under 2 ohms. From head to tail, it is under 4 ohms. That is without any ProGold contact enhancer.

I'll post here when things are further along.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update, datiLED. Wow, that was a heckuva lot of resistance. How embarassing. :crazy:

Choppers: Don't you think a makeover antique light deserves a makeover automobile to ride around in? I may have to find me a classic Ford or Chevy to match this nice light dataLED's making.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
datiLED, I got your emails and thank you for doing the project. I am unable to reply to your emails b/c your server doesn't like my server. I have tried several times but all my messages bounce back to me, so hopefully you'll read this thread again.

I think it has something to do with my ISP not requiring verification, and yours does.

At any rate, thanks a million, can't wait to see your handiwork!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grandfather's Light Shines Again

As I unpack the flashlight, the first thing I notice is the new emitter sitting atop a beefy copper sink, with tight precise wiring leading to the emitter. Lifting the flashlight, it is now noticeably heavier in the hand and well balanced. The glass lens is now crystal clear, with the reflector buffed to a bright shine. The switch is smooth and gives a buttery "snick" as I test it. All good.

Then I load it with 2 C cells. I foolishly tilt the lens a little in my direction and push the switch. The emitter fires up, and I wince as the light hits me. You just don't expect an old flashlight to be blindingly bright, even when that's what you requested!

The beam is remarkably focusable, with a wide floody beam of light approaching 160 degrees, and a nice hot center spot with a curious hexagon corona. If the head is tightened all the way down, a doughnut of light results, see beamshots below.

The final result is outstanding. It's amazing to see Grandfather's flashlight resurrected to a quality, reliable tool. My mother will be shocked when she opens this present! Having played with it for several days, it appears to be rock solid reliable. Thanks a million DatiLED. What an amazing resurrection!

xflash1507sm.jpg

xflash1508sm.jpg

xflash1510sm.jpg

xflash1513bw.jpg

xflash1514bw.jpg

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome pictures! I was in such a hurry to get it back to you, I was only able to snap a few basic pictures, and didn't think that they captured the build quality well enough.

I apreciate the feedback, too. I did spend a lot of time trying to get the best focus. I spent even more time taking care of any possible thermal issues that might result from an extended use of the light. Like your mother leaving the light on unattended.

Thank you for entrusting such a special flashlight to me. Working on an expensive flashlight is one thing, but working on a light that has sentimental value is even more important.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Very nice!

Makes me wonder what could be done with Grandpaws old Homart 3D with a signal button slide switch and big medium depth reflector.

Right now it has 8 Rayovac Alk AA with a frosted 6cell Krypton bulb.
Soft edge spot with corona and BIG spill.

Burgess

Flashaholic
It's beautiful !

Thanks for sharing this with us. :thumbsup:

And to datiLED --

You do Great Work ! :twothumbs

_

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that Christmas has come and gone, I'm pleased to report this flashlight was Mom's favorite gift, even though there was some stiff competition. It's now serving active duty on her nightstand.