4 Cree Light !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledebuhr1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I would like to know how this compaires to the MX Power 3Cree in brightness.
I hate to order one, as Im sure they will have a model out that uses the Q5.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
MountainPenguin:Any chance you can see how it does on 18650's? Also can you try and light up a backyard or neighborhood or something? Those hotspots on the wall don't scream I'm a monster to me :)

Thanks,

BTW When did you order? Just curious how much longer I have to wait for mine to arrive.

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
Ok this arrived today in the post.
fist thoughts are:
It looks quite nice. The threads feel ok.
The wiring looks a ok. It is wired as 2 parallel sets of 2 in series. i.e. 2 sets of 2 led in series.
On Primary cr123 it all looks ok but on rcr123 the extra length is too much and the cells are crushed to the extent they stop working (ultrafire cells)! After removing a section from the top of the tube though they fit fine.
This thing is very bright and throws well. Was lighting up houses over 100m away despite the street lights.
Took some pics http://picasaweb.google.com/f00b4rr/Cree4
there are 2 wall shots @~3m. The wall is painted light blue sorry. The comparison light is an ultrafire fmr1 with a fresh cr123.
The reflector / emitters are not symmetrical! which is odd.
I haven't had chance to see how long it runs for yet.
The cells are 16.3v unloaded and it draws 0.48 amps I think

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
MountainPenguin:Any chance you can see how it does on 18650's? Also can you try and light up a backyard or neighborhood or something? Those hotspots on the wall don't scream I'm a monster to me :)

Thanks,

BTW When did you order? Just curious how much longer I have to wait for mine to arrive.

ordered when the thread appeared here.
If i go off to visiti a mine this weekend will take pics there as well as doing a bit of painting

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I dont like about ordering from DX is that it takes so long. Why cant they ship this stuff from China to a warehouse in the US and then ship it to our houses.
Simple, it gets them around paying an import duty on the lights, and shipping from China to the US is probably less than UPS ground or USPS from inside the US.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Initial impressions:

Got my Romisen 4 Cree from DX a couple of days ago. It seems brighter than my 3 Cree light but to my eyes not tremendously so. The build quality seems very good. You can also take out a section and run it on 3 batteries instead of 4. The sheath is so-so.

For some reason, the guys at the office say that it feels better in the hand than the 3 Cree light - better balanced?

I made the mistake of accidentally shining it in my eyes. Had a headache for an hour. Ouch!

I'm impressed so far, a keeper.

Grzess

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone measure current draw from battery?
I hope this light will not :poof: like ultrafire.

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
16,3v x 0.46 amps are 7,498 Watts.
lets say the boards effectiveness is 80% 0,8x7,498 watt around 6 watts
(i doubt it would be 80%)
so there are 6 watts for 4 leds, means 1,5w/led
in this calculation each led is powered with 1,5w/3.6v = 0.41A

hm i hope your measurement wasn´t on high...
if so, there is a lot of modification potential :grin2:

cheers
J.D.

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Measured on mine (received yesterday)
On high mode:
970 mA with 2* 18650 at 8.05V -> 7.8W
520 mA with 4* rcr123a at 16.49 v -> 8.57W

My eyes can't see any difference between 18650 and rcr123

Trax

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am new to led flashlights and only own a fenix l2d, is there any chance you could post a photo of the 4x cree compared to a single fenix?

Grzess

Newly Enlightened
~0.45A at each emiter, not much.
So the output is probaly comparable to MX power 3-cree.
Now i have dillema which to chose...:thinking:

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Ok this arrived today in the post.
fist thoughts are:
It looks quite nice. The threads feel ok.
The wiring looks a ok. It is wired as 2 parallel sets of 2 in series. i.e. 2 sets of 2 led in series.
On Primary cr123 it all looks ok but on rcr123 the extra length is too much and the cells are crushed to the extent they stop working (ultrafire cells)! After removing a section from the top of the tube though they fit fine.
This thing is very bright and throws well. Was lighting up houses over 100m away despite the street lights.
Took some pics http://picasaweb.google.com/f00b4rr/Cree4
there are 2 wall shots @~3m. The wall is painted light blue sorry. The comparison light is an ultrafire fmr1 with a fresh cr123.
The reflector / emitters are not symmetrical! which is odd.
I haven't had chance to see how long it runs for yet.

Was it hard to unscrew the head ? Mine seems to be glued

W-c.Scenario

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am new to led flashlights and only own a fenix l2d, is there any chance you could post a photo of the 4x cree compared to a single fenix?

here you go:kewlpics:
romisen_rc_t5_vs_fenix_l2d_002.jpg

romisen_rc_t5_vs_fenix_l2d_001.jpg

Without extender (3 x rcr123a)
romisen_rc_t5_vs_fenix_l2d_004.jpg

Last edited:

Trax

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the photos any chance of a photo of the beam pattern side by side against a white background or comparison outside in the dark?

W-c.Scenario

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the photos any chance of a photo of the beam pattern side by side against a white background or comparison outside in the dark?

Might give it a try but I doubt my mobile phone cam would do it any justice, lets hope others with better cams will post some bemshots.

ledebuhr1

Newly Enlightened
Im sure Romisen will come out with a version that uses Q5 LED's soon, or the even brighter R series.

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
Im sure Romisen will come out with a version that uses Q5 LED's soon, or the even brighter R series.

According to Romisen there are Q4´s used - i don´t think you will see the difference between Q4 and Q5....

-walle-

Newly Enlightened
What options are available if you wanted to drive the led's at a higher current? Would it possible to direct drive them as they are? Maybe with a small resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts