500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Epic thread. Kind of like trying to read through the SC600 thread. No pressure I'm sure. :sweat:

Subscribed to your updates and more or less patiently waiting for whatever the end result is. Just a couple comments since TGWNP seems to be trying to absorb the hearts and minds of CPFers.

I would love either bare aluminum or titanium for finish (but I would buy HA no problem if that is what ends up being produced). Another thing that I'm sure would be well recieved is HAIII with neutral colors other than black like sand, olive drab, HA Natural. More choices add to production costs I'm sure but just throwing it out there.

Also as far as aggresive knurling, there are some of us out here who prefer things on the smooth side. The iTP A3 is a good example, there are some grooves that give the body a little grip, but overall the light is smooth. Easy on the pockets. Lights that act like sandpaper are not cool in my book. There are plenty of lights that have found a nice balance so hopefully you will find the same. You probably already have this worked out but I had read in your other thread that you planned on making the knurling more aggressive - please don't go overbard in this department (just my opinion but there you go).

Great job overall coming up with a vision and following it through. I have no doubt the final product will please many. I must admit it's harder to trust a guy with only 10 posts though :whistle:

nullity

Newly Enlightened
I think TWITT could alternatively stand for "That Which Invented The Torpedo."
From what I've read, there's no proof he's not a pseudo-sentient android (from the future).

Also, tgwnn, keep up the good work.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I missed it but what are we looking like for price? $50? $100? I subscribed to your updates anyways.
Hi Cavi Mike,
Thanks very much for subscribing ;)
As GL mentioned below, target is still $65, though Im still working out the pricing details on batteries/options.
Also, I may have mentioned before but the (non-cpf) retail price may settle at about $75 after the initial production run (depends on final costs, etc).

Hi Mike,
Target price is still $65.
GL
Thanks GL :thumbsup:

Epic thread. Kind of like trying to read through the SC600 thread. No pressure I'm sure. :sweat:

Subscribed to your updates and more or less patiently waiting for whatever the end result is. Just a couple comments since TGWNP seems to be trying to absorb the hearts and minds of CPFers.

I would love either bare aluminum or titanium for finish (but I would buy HA no problem if that is what ends up being produced). Another thing that I'm sure would be well recieved is HAIII with neutral colors other than black like sand, olive drab, HA Natural. More choices add to production costs I'm sure but just throwing it out there.

Also as far as aggresive knurling, there are some of us out here who prefer things on the smooth side. The iTP A3 is a good example, there are some grooves that give the body a little grip, but overall the light is smooth. Easy on the pockets. Lights that act like sandpaper are not cool in my book. There are plenty of lights that have found a nice balance so hopefully you will find the same. You probably already have this worked out but I had read in your other thread that you planned on making the knurling more aggressive - please don't go overbard in this department (just my opinion but there you go).

Great job overall coming up with a vision and following it through. I have no doubt the final product will please many. I must admit it's harder to trust a guy with only 10 posts though :whistle:

Hi OneBigDay,

Thanks very much for the feedback (and subscribing) :twothumbs
I would very much like to be able to make the Torpedo available with some additional options in terms of the body finish,
but this will likely be after the first full production run. As you noted, yes its mainly a cost vs demand issue so with enough demand for each particular type of finish, the additional cost is lower.

Regarding knurling, thanks for voicing your opinion.
Its nice to hear that some people have a preference for smooth.
Im not planning to go overboard on the knurling, but something with a touch more grip would be practical.

Appreciate the kind words and about my post count, thanks, its a valid point.
Maybe cpf changed my post count to a daily score :shrug:

I think TWITT could alternatively stand for "That Which Invented The Torpedo."
From what I've read, there's no proof he's not a pseudo-sentient android (from the future).
Also, tgwnn, keep up the good work.

Thanks for posting nullity,
the future.....
Im working on it ;)

I signed up for updates, looking forward to seeing the finished product :thumbsup:
Hi CarpentryHero and thanks for subscribing :)

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too, am eagerly anticipating! Just discovered your journey today and already feel a very strong need to replace my IllumaTi on my keychain! The black and red combination is superb, looking forward to adding this to my growing collection and making it my edc. Good Job!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The black and red combination is superb, looking forward to adding this to my growing collection and making it my edc. Good Job!
Agreed... the black and red is quite sharp, and if the throw, via brute force, can rival my 2XAAA Eneloop, XP-E Streamix Pro, then this will become my EDC as well. The shorter length, starting in low, and the ability to get to high with the flick or two of a finger (if possible, please keep the spacing tight enough to do it in one flick!) will also give compelling reasons to finally update.

To the_ enigmatic_one (hey, there's a name for ya'... ThEO!):

I'm officially jumping on board. It's taken me a while for reasons I can try to explain privately if you're ever interested (it sort of has to do with your lack of name, posts, and being a twitt and all... lol), but long story short, this is my public statement of excitement. :party:

Just subscribed for updates on the website... perhaps I'll also discover "the secret"? Of course, mum's the word. :sssh:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too, am eagerly anticipating! Just discovered your journey today and already feel a very strong need to replace my IllumaTi on my keychain! The black and red combination is superb, looking forward to adding this to my growing collection and making it my edc. Good Job!

Thanks DBCstm,
Welcome aboard and glad you like the design :)

Agreed... the black and red is quite sharp, and if the throw, via brute force, can rival my 2XAAA Eneloop, XP-E Streamix Pro, then this will become my EDC as well. The shorter length, starting in low, and the ability to get to high with the flick or two of a finger (if possible, please keep the spacing tight enough to do it in one flick!) will also give compelling reasons to finally update.

To the_ enigmatic_one (hey, there's a name for ya'... ThEO!):

I'm officially jumping on board. It's taken me a while for reasons I can try to explain privately if you're ever interested (it sort of has to do with your lack of name, posts, and being a twitt and all... lol), but long story short, this is my public statement of excitement. :party:

Just subscribed for updates on the website... perhaps I'll also discover "the secret"? Of course, mum's the word. :sssh:

Hi Bimmerboy,

Thanks very much for subscribing :thumbsup:
I do hope you discover (and like) the secret ;)

By the law of internet forums, my guess is there are still others like you (were), enjoying the thread, passively and thats perfectly ok.
Here's a big HELLO and thanks for following to all of you quiet types (you know who you are) :D

About my post count, its in the hands of the gods, who I imagine are busy enough keeping this great place working smoothly and giving priority to tasks that impact a larger number of members (as I would do) than just moi.

tgwnn

p.s. the_enigmatic_one .....cool choice!

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Just a pessimistic moment but as you are only looking at about a 100 lights in the first run and with all of this interest, I wanted to make sure and have my name down for a neutral in black body 3 IMR batteries.

On a side note, my hospital has sent me to numerous leadership classes and your thread is consistently full of perfect examples of how to respond to feedback from clients, subordinates and superiors. I brush up on your responses from time to time to improve my own responses at work. Thanks.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Just a pessimistic moment but as you are only looking at about a 100 lights in the first run and with all of this interest, I wanted to make sure and have my name down for a neutral in black body 3 IMR batteries.

This makes me nervous as well - that those of us that have been watching this thread since the beginning might get shut out of getting one of these.

rlcrisp

Newly Enlightened
This makes me nervous as well - that those of us that have been watching this thread since the beginning might get shut out of getting one of these.

And... I'm pretty sure that's when you can call yourself a successful designer of any product.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring on the pre-order! OK, OK, I know pre-orders leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths. How about a reservation list? OK, I'll start it:

1) smokelaw1: one light, two batteries, one charger.

Who's #2 on this list?

By the way, please note, I'm just being an impatient, very excited smart-alek. This list is 1) not real, and 2) not official, and 3) if real, still not official, and 4) if real and official, led by a guy who started it not thinking it was either real or official.

Sorry, our yougnest hasn't been sleeping, and I'm getting a little punchy. Sure could use a nice tiny flashlight with a low low for running into her room in the middle of the night......

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Oops! I did not intend to cause a commotion. I can't imagine a world that Tgwn would not make things right for all of us eventually. In retrospect I feel a little selfish for "calling dibs"

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fell bad for starting my "fake list" thing, it really was just a joke. Let's not mess up this thread by replying to it, ok guys? TGWTMNTKTO (the guy with too many names to keep track of) will start a list/take preorders when the time is right for him to do so.

Nothing to see here....carry on.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I hope that there are enough of these to go around! TGWNN deserves all the profits off of this and I can certainly see it being more desirable than the LF2XT.

Incredible work!

Status
Not open for further replies.