500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

O.K. then , I understand ......... "Guy" will be my preference .

Or it could be " NoName " ... since that is the Bold part in your Avatar .

( is that the cover of a Book?)

~

nbp

Flashaholic
When I read "tgwnn", my brain has been automatically plugging in vowels, like they did in ancient Hebrew, and pronouncing it "tig-win". You could think of it that way, TMG (tim-ig?). ;)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
~
O.K. then , I understand ......... "Guy" will be my preference .
Or it could be " NoName " ... since that is the Bold part in your Avatar .
( is that the cover of a Book?)
~
Hi TMG :D

Guy/NoName/tgwnn
They are all used in the context of a name so either choice works for me ;)

About the book cover, do you mean the avatar?
That's just something I whipped up a few days ago.

When I read "tgwnn", my brain has been automatically plugging in vowels, like they did in ancient Hebrew, and pronouncing it "tig-win". You could think of it that way, TMG (tim-ig?). ;)
Hi nbp,

tig-win, together we winn, to go where no name... has gone before, the_guy_with_no_name,
its all good too :D

Which cottonpickers charger do you plan to have bundled with the light?
Hi Sno4life,

Planning to offer:
dual mode LED display version 90mA/245mA
single mode, no display version 100mA

I need to double check to be 100% certain but I think those were the specs.
I've used the dual-mode on low/high to charge the 10250's and 10440's it worked just fine!

Thanks,
tgwnn

Iamnuts

Newly Enlightened
Curiosity has the better of me, so Ill just have to ask;

Have the additional prototypes turned up yet?

Hows the magnet placement doing?

Any more runtimes done?

Sorry to be cheeky :)

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I just wanted to jump in this thread with my support. I have been following for awhile and wanted to voice how excited I am for this light. I love the way you have taken the input of the community to help shape it's development. This is a special project. Keep up the good work.

duro

Enlightened
I would like to see knurling akin to that of an aeon, or surefire. Please :hitit:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curiosity has the better of me, so Ill just have to ask;
Have the additional prototypes turned up yet?
Hows the magnet placement doing?
Any more runtimes done?
Sorry to be cheeky

Hi Iamnuts,

No problem at all ;)

New proto's, not yet.
I've sent a list of revisions and minor adjustments to the R&D lab.
These include the magnet position, mode output, mode interface, etc
as well as final body adjustments such as knurling pattern in the rings on the body,
also ensuring their is no anodizing under the metal die the XM-L chip is on to ensure maximum heat transfer.

The body issues are easy to adjust.
The pcb/driver takes a little more time to tweak and run tests on in the lab, then printing out the pcb for physical tests.
Due to holiday's in this part of the world during the 2nd half of this month, its going to be a little slow through out January,
but expecting the new proto's (including 4500K model), mode selection, magnet to be ready during the first week or so in February.

I will be doing some more battery testing during that time, working on various other aspects and getting the small stuff in order (website, order process, etc).

I just wanted to jump in this thread with my support. I have been following for awhile and wanted to voice how excited I am for this light. I love the way you have taken the input of the community to help shape it's development. This is a special project. Keep up the good work.
Hi AlphaZen,
Thanks so much for posting and your support.
Much appreciated :thumbsup:

I would like to see knurling akin to that of an aeon, or surefire. Please

Hi duro,

Thanks for the post,
Its been mentioned a couple of times (perhaps lost in the depths of the part 1),
and agree that the knurling could be a little more aggressive in terms of grip.
I am planning to enhance the knurling to something I think should satisfy everybody in the production version.

tgwnn

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tgwnn,

Just wanted to say again, thank you for allowing all of us to share and participate in this wonderful and exciting project that has evolved from your (evidently) very creative mind. Even though I have never met you, you are an inspiration and a good role model for all, young and old alike. I have no doubt that you will be successful in whatever project you take on in the future. Please take as long as you need to work out all the little kinks and bugs that are arising in the final stages of production. I think that this will be the "perfect" flashlight for many, many people and it deserves to be "perfect." I will be ready and waiting to order at least 2 as soon as the order page goes up. 2 quotes come to mind at the moment. "Good things come to those who wait," and "The longer you wait, the better it will be." :)

Rebel Bayou

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tgwnn,

Just wanted to say again, thank you for allowing all of us to share and participate in this wonderful and exciting project that has evolved from your (evidently) very creative mind. Even though I have never met you, you are an inspiration and a good role model for all, young and old alike. I have no doubt that you will be successful in whatever project you take on in the future. Please take as long as you need to work out all the little kinks and bugs that are arising in the final stages of production. I think that this will be the "perfect" flashlight for many, many people and it deserves to be "perfect." I will be ready and waiting to order at least 2 as soon as the order page goes up. 2 quotes come to mind at the moment. "Good things come to those who wait," and "The longer you wait, the better it will be." :)

Rebel Bayou

Hi rebelbayou,

Thanks for the post and very kind message and so happy to hear you are enjoying the development process :)
We have made a lot of progress since starting, though it has taken a little more time than I first envisioned.

Project success:
I'm keeping it very simple,
Creating & being able to personally own a fine, working Torpedo is my goal post (my single measure of success).
Being able to share the product and offer it to everyone who'd like one too, that's a huge bonus.
I feel that keeping my goal post simple, increases my chance of success, but I'm not there yet.

I think I shall carve the following on something and hang it on my wall in case I should ever get distracted...
My goal:
"To just make a great product, something I would personally want to own and use."

Thanks,
tgwnn

p.s. I do sincerely appreciate all the feedback from everyone (each and every post, good, bad or spicy), and I'm very gratified to those who appreciate the product design & features, but not so sure I've provided anything role-model worthy (there are perhaps, many others far more deserving of such title).

FsTop

Enlightened
Sign me up for at least two, in aluminum.

Bare Alu would be fine with me, as it looks great when polished. I have bare alu bicycle parts (including a crankset - down in the dirt and wet) which I de-anodized and polished more than 20 years ago, that still look like new - just a slight whitening of the surface, much like slightly tarnished silver..

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sign me up for at least two, in aluminum.

Bare Alu would be fine with me, as it looks great when polished. I have bare alu bicycle parts (including a crankset - down in the dirt and wet) which I de-anodized and polished more than 20 years ago, that still look like new - just a slight whitening of the surface, much like slightly tarnished silver..

Hi FsTop,

Thanks very much for the post and info on the bare aluminum :thumbsup:
Just wondering how often you have cleaned the crankset and have you had any issues with rust (or was rust not an issue due to regular cleaning)?

tgwnn

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
the_guy_with_no_name
user-offline.png

Supporter-3.gif
Join DateDec 2009Posts1

Perplexed??? Another forum crash??

DM51

Flashaholic
?!? :thinking: !?! That post count error is WEIRD.

As far as I can see, none of your posts have disappeared - it's just the count that's gone screwy... :green:

Let's hope it's just a temporary glitch that will reset itself.

FsTop

Enlightened
Just wondering how often you have cleaned the crankset

Almost literally never. It's a road bike, so it doesn't get covered with mud, although it gets used in the rain. When the bike starts looking dirty, I just wipe it off with a slightly oily rag (any rag used to clean a bike is slightly oily) or wash it once a year whether it need it or not.

Long ago I also had a bare alu cigarette lighter that always drew compliments because people thought it was silver - I suspect that the cloth of the pocket polished it a bit.

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
?!? :thinking: !?! That post count error is WEIRD.
As far as I can see, none of your posts have disappeared - it's just the count that's gone screwy... :green:
Let's hope it's just a temporary glitch that will reset itself.

Thanks,
hopefully it sorts itself out :whistle:

I'll be wanting 2 or 3 Black AAA ones, each with charger and preferred battery. I subscribed.
Thanks for posting/subscribing 127.0.0.1 :twothumbs

Almost literally never. It's a road bike, so it doesn't get covered with mud, although it gets used in the rain. When the bike starts looking dirty, I just wipe it off with a slightly oily rag (any rag used to clean a bike is slightly oily) or wash it one a year whether it need it or not.

Long ago I also had a bare alu cigarette lighter that always drew compliments because people thought it was silver - I suspect that the cloth of the pocket polished it a bit.
Thanks for the reply ;)

very impressive!!

tgwnn

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey I just checked the Draft specs. I can and will commit monies for 3 black ones, with the 2 best batteries and 1 best chargers, for each.
if this thing looks that good and does multi-chemistry as in the draft specs....man o man this is what I came to candlepowerforums for
(well, this and PhotonFanatic stuff)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey I just checked the Draft specs. I can and will commit monies for 3 black ones, with the 2 best batteries and 1 best chargers, for each.
if this thing looks that good and does multi-chemistry as in the draft specs....man o man this is what I came to candlepowerforums for
(well, this and PhotonFanatic stuff)

Thanks very much,
appreciate the extra feedback :D

tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.