AAA-P question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Enlightened
I have been thinking a little about why I am not so pleased with the Arc-AAA-P, and I think I found out why: I expected a small but very high power flashlight and I would have had absolutely no problem if it had only run for about say half an hour. The Arc however runs for 5 hours, which is indeed impressive, but just not what I want! :)
Maybe I was too fond of the SureFire E1L, which is very bright for just that half hour... :)

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
wojtek_pl said:
Regulation ? What regulation ? From flashlightreviews.com runtime plot it looks like a boost circuit only:
arc-p-2_001.gif

You are correct, it is a "boost only" circuit. It does not have current regulation - other than the max allowed by the switching regulator (it doesn't reach that level unless you use a battery voltage greater than the flashlight design voltage). The switcher is essentially running wide open like many other drivers.

Unfortunately, it appears that this light does not meet your expectations. There has been a lot of discussion on this site regarding the issues you have raised. However, as you can see by the responses in this thread, many feel (me included) that while this light may not top the group in beam quality, it more than makes up for that in many of its other features including: run-time, durability, brightness, portability and form-factor. It is an engineering trade-off (from my perspective - a well balanced one).

I wish you the best in you search for a light that suits your needs. There are a lot of new contenders out there now. Happy hunting.

Paul

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
chimo said:
However, as you can see by the responses in this thread, many feel (me included) that while this light may not top the group in beam quality, it more than makes up for that in many of its other features including: run-time, durability, brightness, portability and form-factor. It is an engineering trade-off (from my perspective - a well balanced one).
I totally agree. That pretty much sums up why I like the ArcAAA. If I had to add anything to the list, I'd have to say (again) there's something visually pleasing about the Arc design lines.

prof

Enlightened
I just got my arc yesterday and love it.

I am glad that we have choices--many lights to select from so that we can all get what we want.

Here's my .02 worth: Peter is VERY upfront about what the arc is--he has posted many beamshots, etc so that we all should know what we're getting. The arc does what it does extremely well. Some people have other needs--that's great--there are other lights. Most of us have several (uh, ok, many) lights because no one light can do everything.

Personally I find the upfront nature of Arc to be very refreshing and helpful--that helped get my business, anyway.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
wojtek_pl said:
Well, I'm a little disappointed too. Perhaps I should not start with small Fenix flashlights ... ;)

It IS bright, though Fenix LOP is brighter.
It is well built thought CMG Infinity Ultra is more solid.
The beam is awful. Even my cheap $.99 keychain light from Lighound.com has better one. I would gladly switch LEDs between them. :)
Regulation ? What regulation ? From flashlightreviews.com runtime plot it looks like a boost circuit only:
arc-p-2_001.gif

The 'reflector thing' around the LED is a mistake IMO.
And I'd prefer it to be slightly dimmer but with more runtime - about 8 to 10 hours. THAT would be great light.

I have given out 5 CMG infinity lights as gifts, one was a red LED version.

All nice........AA! They are bigger my friend. They are NOT keychain lights! They cost around $25.....but do not have the 'Sun' and 'Moon' brightness mode features that the Arc has. They also RATTLE. If you shake one, you'll see. The finish is not nearly as tough as the type III anodized coating. Arc used to make, and hopefully will again, a AA model of it's own that was even better than the CMG.
I've given out...let me count...14! Yup...FOURTEEN AAA's as gifts in the last year (You can ask Peter Gransee....5 recently went out to the a unit in the TF 344th Med in Iraq)
I have never had anything but praise and thanks for these lights.

If you indeed find something better.....clue us all in.

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Hi all !

I'm not saying that ARC is bad flashlight. All I'm saying is that it is not exactly what I expected from so famous flashlight. :)

Yes, it is small and bright.
Yes, it has quite long runtime.
No full regulation is not that big problem although it should be said that it is not full regulation as someone stated earlier.

And I really would like to try ARC-AA model. :D

cy

Flashaholic
totally understand those folks that prefer a whiter beam, than current ARC AAA-P.

answer is simple... purchase a used ARC AAA-P in mint condition. they come up all the time on B/S/T. pricing tends to be slightly higher than a new one.

no question newer ARC AAA-P has some improvements, especially the stainless bottom contact in body. but my personal preferance is an older ARC AAA-P with a nice white beam :D

if you can find an old cpf special ARC AAA, those tend to have the nicest tints. simply ask seller what the tint is?

GTI

Newly Enlightened
hello All,

i would like to get one Arc AAA P for my sister, where can i order one? i'm from Australia.

thank you

GTi

Craig720

Enlightened
DrizzitT said:
The L0P is brighter. The CMG is built better. The Arc has great runtime. But overall, the Arc puts together a PACKAGE that is so far unrivaled in the AAA keychain flashlight arena.

Exactly. Which is why, even though I have a Fenix L1P, I am still planning to get a new Arc AAA Premium. Then I will have brightness and runtime covered with the two lights.

I also have an original Arc AAA. That's right. An Arc from the now defunct FIRST company. It's still going strong. Its beam is no competition for the beam from even a Photon Freedom Micro Light, so I keep it on my bed stand.

The beam is good enough to navigate the bedroom in the wee hours of the morning, but not bright enough to wake my wife or our elderly chihuahua-Pomeranian (who'd want to go for a walk).

Wolfgang_Ludwig

Newly Enlightened
A white AAA-Arc-size light exists: Peak Matterhorn UP. Better than Arc because whiter. Bader than Arc because not the same housing quality. What do you need: Quality of beam or nice feeling and look of material?
I don't want to read with a blueish light. I need white light for my eyes. So I sold the arc and kept the Matterhorn.

cy

Flashaholic
Wolfgang_Ludwig said:
A white AAA-Arc-size light exists: Peak Matterhorn UP. Better than Arc because whiter. Bader than Arc because not the same housing quality. What do you need: Quality of beam or nice feeling and look of material?
I don't want to read with a blueish light. I need white light for my eyes. So I sold the arc and kept the Matterhorn.
that's why I suggested getting an old ARC AAA-P with a nice white beam.

some of us prefer a white tint beam over increased output. like it's been stated many times...

ARC AAA is not the brightest, longest runtime, smallest, tuffest etc.. but still the best combination of above.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might we be expecting too much beam quality/tint perfection for an emergency/back up light? The combination of design features matches my needs. If a perfect "white" beam is necessary I'll already have a different light along for that mission.

Ice

Enlightened
Might we be expecting too much beam quality/tint perfection for an emergency/back up light?
Well, after what was written here I came to see the Arc more as a work of art and a symbol of technical perfection! :) :ohgeez: :mecry:
Sounds funny, but there's actually some truth in it!

cy

Flashaholic
no ARC AAA is not technical perfection. it's far from it. but it's form factor is the best, from the get go.

all production LED lights are a compromise, what's more important? runtime or brightness, HA tuffness or costs, high output or white tint, size or cell capacity, etc etc...

ARC AAA is acknowleded as the required light for every flasholic for good reason :D

it's not often that one can obtain the world's best of something for so reasonable a price.

cerbie

Enlightened
jayflash said:
Might we be expecting too much beam quality/tint perfection for an emergency/back up light? The combination of design features matches my needs.
No. I think you'd be expecting too much when the main page of the website, and the product image itself, show a very blue tint. Reviews show a blue tint, and some do well enough to capture the yellow in it. Beamshots on the forums show a blue tint. There have been a couple Arc AAA v. Matterhorn threads. Finally, the website declares the name is derived from the blue/white of a welder.

It is plain to see that the blue color of the light is a closely guarded secret:tinfoil:.
If a perfect "white" beam is necessary I'll already have a different light along for that mission.
Except, what if you don't? If you were not expecting the need, which is more important? Having a blue light on your person, or a nice bright white one at home? That is that makes 1xcoin and 1xAAA lights so great, regardless of their compromises in design (even the Solitaire, I guess, prior to good LEDs). I wouldn't want to read by my Arc-P, but if there was no other sufficient light, I would manage--and 'other sufficient light' will not stay comfortably next to my keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.