Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. You've got 10 or 11 posts on this page alone, and have received comments back from several members. If your light dims, take the cell out and recharge it. Or run primaries if you're that concerned or run protected cells. Or sell the light, and find one you're more comfortable using. Maybe Li-ions aren't for you. This is a small run light from a boutique maker, designed for enthusiasts. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but fully 2/3 of your posts here on CPF have been about this light...

At the end of the day, battery safety falls squarely in the lap of the end user. You and nobody else are responsible for the proper safety, storage, and use of unprotected cells. They're unprotected. There are plenty of hot rod lights that don't offer low voltage protection, it's a risk we all accept here, some use them and some don't.

Last edited:

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. You've got 10 or 11 posts on this page alone, and have received comments back from several members. If your light dims, take the cell out and recharge it. Or run primaries if you're that concerned or run protected cells. Or sell the light, and find one you're more comfortable using. Maybe Li-ions aren't for you. This is a small run light from a boutique maker, designed for enthusiasts. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but fully 2/3 of your posts here on CPF have been about this light...

At the end of the day, battery safety falls squarely in the lap of the end user. You and nobody else are responsible for the proper safety, storage, and use of unprotected cells. They're unprotected. There are plenty of hot rod lights that don't offer low voltage protection, it's a risk we all accept here, some use them and some don't.

Hmmmm maybe I'm being inarticulate. What I'm trying to "accomplish" is the answer to the question; Considering the warning label on the battery says to not discharge the battery below 2.75 volts. When the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, does that mean I violated the warning label on the battery?

I'm sure you saw that my other posts were about the Manker E14 and that I'm perfectly comfortable using Li-ions. I would classify that light as a hot rod.

Maybe people thought I wanted general safety info on batteries because I didn't ask my question well enough and they are getting frustrated because I keep asking. It sounds like everyone is saying only the manufacturer knows the actual specific answer. I was hoping for a scenario where maybe the warning label on the battery always applies to resting voltage etc. Or they could suggest some way of testing it like as soon as the light drops out of regulation at 2.7 volts, take the battery out and test it to see if the resting voltage comes back over 3 volts and that means it is good to go etc. Sorry if I've caused consternation. I love the light and for me it's the best light that has ever been made.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Okay, let's make this really easy. The cutoff of regulation being set at 2.7 is violating the manufacturer warning. 2.7 is less than 2.75. It doesn't matter much anyways. Those cells should not be discharged down that low. If you bring them down that low, you will greatly reduce cell cycle life. You should probably be recharging the cells before the voltage gets below 3.5 or 3.4 volts. I recharge at 3.8 or 3.7 volts. The cells have no memory. Recharge more often whenever possible and your cells will last much longer and provide better output.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Okay, let's make this really easy. The cutoff of regulation being set at 2.7 is violating the manufacturer warning. 2.7 is less than 2.75. It doesn't matter much anyways. Those cells should not be discharged down that low. If you bring them down that low, you will greatly reduce cell cycle life. You should probably be recharging the cells before the voltage gets below 3.5 or 3.4 volts. I recharge at 3.8 or 3.7 volts. The cells have no memory. Recharge more often whenever possible and your cells will last much longer and provide better output.

I agree with everything you said. Thanks for the reply. I feel like I have hijacked this thread long enough. On anther note, the light is just amazing. Really nice tint and CRI plus the spacing is great. I'll try and add some pics soon. I have the polished copper version and I haven't seen too many pics of that version.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
DEo6DcI.jpg
[/IMG]
yd0wQbv.jpg
[/IMG]

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Does anyone have any idea what emitters are being used in the beagle? I have a polished copper coming in the mail and I can't wait to try it out.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any idea what emitters are being used in the beagle? I have a polished copper coming in the mail and I can't wait to try it out.

[FONT=&quot]Im curious as well; Muyshondt is keeping it a secret. Regardless, the tint and CRI look fantastic to me. You are going to love it and the finish as long as you don't mind the extra ounces on the copper. Please check back in when you get it and let me know what you think. [/FONT]

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
"Houston, the Beagle has landed".
I used my new polished copper Beagle last night after charging its new Muyshondt battery to 4.1 volts. I can almost certainly say that it is already my favorite light, and now I'm questioning if there is even a point to buying the Brass Boss combo and the Aluminum Bronze Flieger. The tint is beyond pleasant. I spent a fair amount of time doing A-B-A-B comparisons with several other lights using a bouquet of flowers that I bought for my fiancé as the subject I was illuminating. The colors that the Beagle's flood ring showed in the flowers really appeared more vivid and more "alive" than any of my other lights including My AA Maratac with the Nichia emitter and the 47's Atom A0 candlepower anniversary light also using a Nichia emitter. Even my beloved Spy 007 with a high CRI XPG2 didn't show the colors as well. And the flood ring gives a much broader beam than a typical mule flashlight which have circular beams with a sharply defined edge. The light would actually make an excellent home defense light in my opinion because when the flood beam and the "spot" beam are on together, it gives the user incredible situational awareness. None of the "tunnel vision" that can occur when a light has to be pointed back and fourth in order to illuminate an entire room.
The light is an absolute tank in copper. It weighs more than my Alpha custom, which is a significantly bigger light. I'm assuming with all that thermal mass heat will never be an issue. My only concern is a slight squeaking/rubbing sound between the titanium tail switch and the copper body when they rub past each other. I'm hoping it will smooth out over time and stop making sound. That and I wish the pocket clip had a little bit more tension because of how heavy the light is.
I'm honestly not a fan of reverse clickies, I prefer the ability to turn the light on without clicking it on when wanted, but the switch works, and it works well.
Trojansteel, how do you feel about the Boss vs the Beagle as far as tint, beam pattern, color rendering and brightness?

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep on wanting one. I love the concept! The weight of these just tells me I will catch and release it though.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is why ain't anyone wanting the Flieger Mk I, cause it's older, or cause it's not two level? Trust me the Flieger will outperform and outlast the Beagle.

Like the Aeon 2 Stage vs three stage. I spent 425 dollars for a three stage titanium and sold it for 300 dollars cause the led had more flood than throw... nicer tint but still not as useable for me.

I think the Beagle is for those who don't have to worry about real life situations... it does look pretty. I have two Fliegers and the runtime of the Beagle puts me off.

Thoughts? To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
My question is why ain't anyone wanting the Flieger Mk I, cause it's older, or cause it's not two level? Trust me the Flieger will outperform and outlast the Beagle.
I think the Beagle is for those who don't have to worry about real life situations... it does look pretty. I have two Fliegers and the runtime of the Beagle puts me off.

I would love a Flieger. They both excel in their intended uses and don't necessarily compete against each other but instead fulfill different roles. My estimation is that the Flieger is king when the situation demands more power, more throw, and benefits from those amazing runtimes where as the Beagle shines when up close to midrange tasks will be the majority of illumination duty and shorter runtimes are a good tradeoff for pocket-ability. I'd love to see a pic of those Fliegers in action....

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Tint compared to my 219c equipped Boss. Beagle to the right.

0904a093586c69fd3c06ce2fb8a571ff.jpg

Awesome beam shots!! I've been creeping those Boss's for a while now. I would love a brass model. Unfortunately, my Manker E-14 sort of fills that niche; minus the cool features and top notch build quality.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the wishlists for Flieger is to have a pocket clip... so this might explain one of the reasons to prefer the Beagle. At least for me, that's how I look at it, YMMV. ;)

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love a Flieger. They both excel in their intended uses and don't necessarily compete against each other but instead fulfill different roles. My estimation is that the Flieger is king when the situation demands more power, more throw, and benefits from those amazing runtimes where as the Beagle shines when up close to midrange tasks will be the majority of illumination duty and shorter runtimes are a good tradeoff for pocket-ability. I'd love to see a pic of those Fliegers in action....

Keep an eye in my channel you tube sdsteveb

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the wishlists for Flieger is to have a pocket clip... so this might explain one of the reasons to prefer the Beagle. At least for me, that's how I look at it, YMMV. ;)

I ve actually been thinking about a design regarding the clip... should be easy

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
"Houston, the Beagle has landed".
I used my new polished copper Beagle last night after charging its new Muyshondt battery to 4.1 volts. I can almost certainly say that it is already my favorite light, and now I'm questioning if there is even a point to buying the Brass Boss combo and the Aluminum Bronze Flieger. The tint is beyond pleasant. I spent a fair amount of time doing A-B-A-B comparisons with several other lights using a bouquet of flowers that I bought for my fiancé as the subject I was illuminating. The colors that the Beagle's flood ring showed in the flowers really appeared more vivid and more "alive" than any of my other lights including My AA Maratac with the Nichia emitter and the 47's Atom A0 candlepower anniversary light also using a Nichia emitter. Even my beloved Spy 007 with a high CRI XPG2 didn't show the colors as well. And the flood ring gives a much broader beam than a typical mule flashlight which have circular beams with a sharply defined edge. The light would actually make an excellent home defense light in my opinion because when the flood beam and the "spot" beam are on together, it gives the user incredible situational awareness. None of the "tunnel vision" that can occur when a light has to be pointed back and fourth in order to illuminate an entire room.
The light is an absolute tank in copper. It weighs more than my Alpha custom, which is a significantly bigger light. I'm assuming with all that thermal mass heat will never be an issue. My only concern is a slight squeaking/rubbing sound between the titanium tail switch and the copper body when they rub past each other. I'm hoping it will smooth out over time and stop making sound. That and I wish the pocket clip had a little bit more tension because of how heavy the light is.
I'm honestly not a fan of reverse clickies, I prefer the ability to turn the light on without clicking it on when wanted, but the switch works, and it works well.
Trojansteel, how do you feel about the Boss vs the Beagle as far as tint, beam pattern, color rendering and brightness?

Nice comparisons on the tint. The Spy and the Prometheus are on my wishlist. I'm bummed to hear about the squeaking. Someone else, I think in the Facebook group, reported the same thing. Are you leaving your thumb on the button after half pressing when cycling through modes? If I lift my thumb off of the button while cycling I get sort of a soft clacking sound. Sort of like a speaker giving a lecture who has cotton mouth. Otherwise it is silent when I keep my thumb in contact through the travel of the button press. I'm guessing Muyshondt would find a solution if you wanted to go that route. I'm wondering the same questions about the Boss vs the Beagle. Those Boss's look great.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened

This is my biggest gripe about the Flieger. The Aeon Finally got a pocket clip. The Beagle has a pocket clip. For me, the Flieger is too big to just go in the bottom of a pocket. I don't really like using a holster, I find them cumbersome, and most people think it looks a little silly in my experience.

Also, I think of the Beagle as a general purpose light. 90% of the use I find for flashlights when I'm not at work consists of brief periods of use and almost always at relatively close range. I find that the Beagle's second brightest output actually works very well, and is very bright. Its runtime of 2 hours is plenty in my opinion, especially when the battery has no memory, and can be charged whenever needed. The flood ring puts out a flawless wall of light, and the color rendering is probably the best I've ever seen in my opinion.

I haven't had the chance to try a Flieger, but I would like to. Has anyone been able to use a Beagle and a Flieger side by side? I'm curious how the beam patterns, tints, and colors rendered compare between the two.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m in England so the Flieger vs Beagle is a no brainer in the sense if I could I would.
But if you care to have a look at my YouTube channel sdsteveb and let me know what you think I d appreciate it...

To be honest The runtime on the Beagle put me off... I need throw and runtime...and I hope he's reading this. Put a clip on the Flieger and you'll sell loads.
I have a proto and production model. If he's not reading dont worry guys cause I m thinking what to do with that Flieger non clip... even if it means buying a Fenix Clip or some sort... but we don't want to mess up the finish especially on a $600 Light!Folks, now is the time to tell the company what YOU want..Not what you should accept cause that's what they want you to have!
The Black proto operates flawlessly...18650 eagletac battery no wiggle or movement... can't get the Muyshondt batteries to England... bit sh** if you ask me!!! They should offer surface shipping!

Last edited: