Anyone else sick of cr123 and 1aa/1aaa lights?

cancow

Newly Enlightened
I don't get why these lights are so prevalent. I have them, but I either end up losing them, or they are just too small in the hand to be useful.

harro

Enlightened
Some find them to be a very handy light, for edc, or just throwing in a pocket. Some may not require a heap of power and a light of that size is just right. My wife carries a CR123 powered light and loves it for its size. It fits in her handbag along with half a hundred other odds and sods, and puts light just where she wants it. Lots of collectors may have nothing else but these lights. Personally, i like larger flooders and throwers, but these smaller lights will ALWAYS have their place in the overall scheme of things.

;)

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
no AAA light by Armytek or by zebralight

what are you talking about??

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get why these lights are so prevalent. I have them, but I either end up losing them, or they are just too small in the hand to be useful.

No this is the light size that I use the most,it seems sort of obvious to me that the size is handier than anything larger for in the pocket carry.

Maybe I don't understand your question though?

cancow

Newly Enlightened
In a purse a 1 cr123 would make sense. The fact of the matter is that even an 1 18650 light is small these days.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAA is my preferred EDC. Small and pocket able and powerful enough for my tasks. Can be used with 14500 for more punch but have many options for types of AA to use in a pinch.

Smaller 18650 is nice too and way more power and capacity for not much more size but I've never felt as comfortable because of the specialty of the cell. Also, unless I want to start carrying pairs of CR123 I don't have a good cold weather option compared to L91s.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Not sick of them at all. You seem to like letting people know that you don't care for them, though.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Fenix PD22ue that uses 1 x CR123. It is very handy to have a light that is small enough and lightweight enough to hold in my mouth when I don't have a free hand.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that these lights tend to be somewhat overhyped around here. Perhaps the worst offender here was the SC5, even though it's not even that good at putting out its rated 500 lumens. Ad some 1xAA lights are not much smaller than the smallest 1x18650 lights (which offer FAR better power and runtime). However, 1xAA, 1xAAA, and 1xCR123a lights DO have their place. They make good backup EDC lights when you don't want to carry a 1x18650. And some of the better ones can even work fairly well for such things as night hiking when you want to travel light and your lighting needs are modest (such as urban hikes or group hikes where others have lights as well). Furthermore, 1xAAA lights are GREAT for your keychain. And because of this, you will never have to worry about being without a light wherever you go. So while these small lights certainly aren't everything, I find it's good to at leaat have a few around.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could see being sick of them if they were being produced to the exclusion of other options, but there's even more 18650 lights than AA, and probably more 18650's than CR123A. Some of the 26650 lights we've seen so far are awesome, and no doubt there will be more coming out as the size catches on. And we're seeing a few lights with custom battery packs (eg: Nitecore Tip) come out, too.

Also, I think multi-cell AA can be a nice size if you're looking for a light that gives you plenty to hold onto without going for the monstrous output of some of the multi-cell 18650 lights. The Nitecore EA81, for example, is about the size of a 2C Maglite.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight S1A NW has rekindled my interest in 1AA lights.
1AA and CR123 lights also make good emergency lights, when you can't depend on having access to or recharging rechargeable cells.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not. For myself and uses, I tend to prefer the smaller lights. Also consider that there are some 18650 lights that are just as small as some of the larger AA/CR123a lights. It's all a matter of personal preference and what works for each individual.

egdima

Newly Enlightened
I love 1x123 lights. For example, 1x123 McGizmo Haiku is just of the perfect size, goldilocks — not too small to be uncomfortable to grip, not too big to be a burden for an EDC light.

nbp

Flashaholic
Bwalker: please note your first three posts are vetted by CPF staff before posting. No need to post it multiple times, just be patient. Thanks.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today's 18650 flashlights are more useful for better runtime and brightness. They are work horses for professionals.

For collectors, especially those just first dipping their toes into collecting lights, and only in my experience, AAA flashlights usually more often nail all the finest quality (except runtime and brightness) that those that know what they're looking for are looking for, such as, not always, but more often (or at least easier to find) use CC circuits, are small enough to use exotic metal hosts without mass/weight being any issue, are regulated, have constant brightness, and are available with high CRI emitters. Also, today's AAA flashlight outperforms in runtime and brightness the flashlights we grew up with, and even the professional's 18650 flashlights from just a decade ago (the incans, at least), and they are a really good value for the comparitively low cost, and thus easy to gift.

I think CR123 lights are a hold over from when the market wanted a brighter flashlight without giving in to a larger format... single cell CR123 flashlights are about pocketability, and max brightness.

I'm going to have to completely disagree about OP lumping AAA with AA. IMO, AA flashlights seem to be the ignored and red-headed stepchild of the flashlight world. Certainly, there are plenty low quality AA lights out there, but in looking at high end flashlights, AA format seems to be added an afterthought. The lights I've seen do not appear to be designed around the AA. I want AA flashlights, and I am having exteme difficulty finding all the qualities I want in them, when AAA, CR123 and other formats, finding what I am looking for is pretty easy.

AA flashlights need attention, as an ends in themselves, and not the hand-me-down treatment from other formats they seem to be getting.

Maybe OP has the holiday blues? Is everything bugging you? Or just this?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I love 1x123 lights. For example, 1x123 McGizmo Haiku is just of the perfect size, goldilocks — not too small to be uncomfortable to grip, not too big to be a burden for an EDC light.

+100

1x123 is my favorite size light for EDC purposes. AAA are great for backup lights or when wearing dress pants where I need something unobtrusive.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, sorry, not sick of any of the cells you mentioned. Love my CR123 and AAA lights. It's mostly all I have and/or use daily. Of course I have plenty of 18650 size lights, but they probably get less use than the smaller ones. You are likely in a minority although you have every right to your opinion.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I typically avoid cr123 only lights. 16340/RCR123 are OK but I prefer 18650 due to them having the best, by far, energy density.