Anyone else sick of cr123 and 1aa/1aaa lights?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee cancow, that was a fair old can of worms you opened up, but hey, great to see some healthy discussion on the subject. Some for, some against, but all good.

:D

Next topic is anyone sick of surefire:laughing:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, I own an ArmyTek Prime A1 non-pro and a Manker T01, running both on 14500 but I find that the ArmyTek with its ultra low mode is most useful at night when I am checking on my 3 year old and the Manker T01 with it's small size and extremely bright high mode and adequately low mode is my EDC light. That and the convenience of getting primary cells make these my EDCs.

I find that CR123 lights are a lot more troublesome as primary cells are expensive and harder to find so its either I carry a 1xCR123 and a battery case of spare cells.

Also the Manker T01 is really, really small. it feels like a 1xCR123 light. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, not sick of CR123a lights at all. They are nice and small and make great EDC lights. I prefer to run 16340(or better yet 18350) most of the time but, CR123a does have a big benefit over Lithium Ions(including even 18650)in cold weather(which can be important in the winter in many places) . They also have a 10+ year shelf light so they make great emergency backups.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
The one x AAA are cool, yet I prefer the lithium variety so actually they're rather hot, lol. I have a couple cr123 double series in my Eagletac tx25c xp-l. Other than that any cr123 lights I have are compatible with 16340 so I use those. The AAA are maybe a bit tooo tiny but I'm not really tired of them. Not yet.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
A majority of my lights are 18650, and I'd take a single 18650 over 2 x CR123A any day.

But no I think they have their place. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law when it comes to flashlights, i.e. if you're only carrying one and you really need it, that's when it'll fail on you.

So a Prometheus Beta-QRv2 sits nicely on the keychain to supplement the EDC 18650. Or if you're in slacks and a 18650 is just a bit too much, a nice CR123A like the S1 does the trick. Or just carry all three...

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next topic is anyone sick of surefire:laughing:

Yeah, hell yeah. I am sick of Surefire TO DEATH discontinuing incan lights and parts I want and replacing them with horrible LED dopplegangers that, except for the decent host, are absurdly overpriced and produce the ugliest, nastiest photons in the entire industry. Surefire needs slapped, IMO. Or I need a time machine.

LedTed

Enlightened
For me, I love the convienent size of my 1X AA lights. Their smallness makes them easy to be ever-present. I finally moved "up" to a few 1 X CR123 powered lights. My few 1 X 18650 lights are held in reserve for emergencies.

roger-roger

Enlightened
Au contraire--would that there were more choices and more discussions. :laughing:

After a flurry of initial experimentation and elimination, all but two of my lights now are AA and CR123. The next light or two will be in those battery formats, which are pretty much my only choices for disaster preparation including prolonged power outages.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Hmmm. I love AA and AAA lights - a handful of great choices have emerged - even more would be better (that have High CRI emitters and good modes, builds, materials, etc.)... the small, slim form factor fits in just about any pocket, and utilize readily available batteries.

jaybiz32

Enlightened
In my opinion the single mode Maglite 2xAA and 2AAA are some of the most underrated stock lights around here. The 2AAA is tiny to fit in a shirt pocket and the 2AA is pocket size and puts out more than enough light for 99% of tasks. I have a fairly large collection of high power custom jobs but thumbs up to maglite for putting out a solid stock light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They're cheap, bright and sell well.

Tacticool to costume jewelry and everything in between.

Plus there's some great ones out there.
Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

If it serves the purpose I'm cool with any flashlight.
Plus teeth holding a soda can flashlight aint on my bucket list.

ven

Flashaholic
All types have their place, many for example only have AAA type lights..............
Personally cr123 i dont do due to cost and not easy to get hold of. 16340 however is my fav EDC size for form/output/run time combination. Small enough to EDC, but enough output potential to be of use when 200+ lumens is required.

AAA wise, i have a handful , not my fav for form or run time , but work keys i still use AAA and there are some nice options these days. AA wise again a few in my possession, but prefer the slightly larger 18650 fed lights due to being better in run time,out put and comfort for my hands. Still for edc uses, AA/14500 make a happy medium like a 16340 type, but the slightly fatter 16340 just feels better in hand for me(and a little shorter).

Sick of surefire.............nah:nana: i cant get enough of the classics:D(dont care much for the newer though).
p60's................NEVER, these have kept my interest (bare in mind i am new to it compared to many!!!!!) and love the flexibility and variety available. Yes, never throw more than 60kcd(or for now anyway) due to reflector size, but i dont need it in a small light.

So i am not actually sick of anything form factor/fuel type, even though some are not for me or suit my requirements. Its just good to have the options there, as everyone has different wants and needs. Many need low lumen outputs, many dont want a bigger light than an AAA on them.

What i am sick of is cheap chinese *beep*, be it flashlights, cells, chargers and the bull **** made up figures to go with them. I am sick of turbo run times of 2hrs, without step down info(olight here have changed this with their x7). I want fact when looking at expensive lights, so people can make a correct decision on their $100+ investment, not a 1000lm for 1.5hrs from an 18650 light!

I am sick of options being 6500k or 6500k, thankfully some manufacturers have taken some options on, eagtac seem to be leading the way with their latest options. I am sick of expensive $200+ lights with xhp70's(or what ever LED) not having 5000k options. If i want to flood a field, i dont want to wash it out................

I know the general buyer does not care for neutral or hi cri, but i also bet a lot is also down to not having the choice or being aware of said benefits. I am still amazed by how many people get by on a dull small ,tight hot spot of blue and think its the dogs danglies. Until they see 4500k and notice how their eyes dont strain...............

That will do for now;) mini rant over:p

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get why these lights are so prevalent. I have them, but I either end up losing them, or they are just too small in the hand to be useful.

So buy larger flashlights for your useful hands. But I know people who constantly lose stuff of all kinds, so that might not be the solution for your particular situation.

Climb14er

Enlightened
My ZL SC52 with Eneloops, Alkaline and 14500 batteries is one of my favorite lights... ever! Small, powerful, easy to carry, can take it all over the world and get batteries... what's there not to like!

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
All types have their place, many for example only have AAA type lights..............
Personally cr123 i dont do due to cost and not easy to get hold of. 16340 however is my fav EDC size for form/output/run time combination. Small enough to EDC, but enough output potential to be of use when 200+ lumens is required.

AAA wise, i have a handful , not my fav for form or run time , but work keys i still use AAA and there are some nice options these days. AA wise again a few in my possession, but prefer the slightly larger 18650 fed lights due to being better in run time,out put and comfort for my hands. Still for edc uses, AA/14500 make a happy medium like a 16340 type, but the slightly fatter 16340 just feels better in hand for me(and a little shorter).

Sick of surefire.............nah:nana: i cant get enough of the classics:D(dont care much for the newer though).
p60's................NEVER, these have kept my interest (bare in mind i am new to it compared to many!!!!!) and love the flexibility and variety available. Yes, never throw more than 60kcd(or for now anyway) due to reflector size, but i dont need it in a small light.

So i am not actually sick of anything form factor/fuel type, even though some are not for me or suit my requirements. Its just good to have the options there, as everyone has different wants and needs. Many need low lumen outputs, many dont want a bigger light than an AAA on them.

What i am sick of is cheap chinese *beep*, be it flashlights, cells, chargers and the bull **** made up figures to go with them. I am sick of turbo run times of 2hrs, without step down info(olight here have changed this with their x7). I want fact when looking at expensive lights, so people can make a correct decision on their $100+ investment, not a 1000lm for 1.5hrs from an 18650 light!

I am sick of options being 6500k or 6500k, thankfully some manufacturers have taken some options on, eagtac seem to be leading the way with their latest options. I am sick of expensive $200+ lights with xhp70's(or what ever LED) not having 5000k options. If i want to flood a field, i dont want to wash it out................

I know the general buyer does not care for neutral or hi cri, but i also bet a lot is also down to not having the choice or being aware of said benefits. I am still amazed by how many people get by on a dull small ,tight hot spot of blue and think its the dogs danglies. Until they see 4500k and notice how their eyes dont strain...............

That will do for now;) mini rant over:p

Well said ven!

Although I prefer 14500s to 16340s (so that if I don't have a 14500 around I can just put in AA cells) ;)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ZL SC52 ... what's there not to like!

Zebralight has it's single, glaring flaw in that the driver is not constant current, and as a source of migraine in those susceptable, it is enough:

(stealing jon_slider's image, Zebralight on the far left)

14308084037_135e533055_c.jpg

Please avoid the weak and cruel argument "I don't care." Zebralight will abandon their pulsing schema and go fully constant current should it's customer base cease to ignore this. Once Zebralight does advance their drivers to fully, legitimately constant current on all modes, I can't see how they would not be "perfect." (except for their dirth of high cri emitter offerings)

Last edited: