Anyone here listen to the radio show called Coast to Coast AM?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to post an update, but C2C just fired a regular host, for going to far "off-topic." I find it funny that a C2C would ever find anything off limits, but apparently it did. John B Wells was the host that was fired. His spot is now being filled in by temporary "hosts." John was also the narrator of the tv show "Alien files:unsealed" I predict C2C will nose dive in ratings because john reportedly would draw in larger numbers than george.

If you pay close attention to the subtle but distinct leanings of many of the more recent guests on Coast to Coast you will come to realize that there has been a definite shift in the direction of the show that reflects the corporate agenda and politics of the mass media giant Clear Channel Communications, the owner of Coast to Coast. Most of Clear Channel's news/talk stations carry some combination of Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity and Noory. Although they sponsor a wide variety of radio programing that includes varying political persuasions they have had a controversial and well documented corporate history of censoring or refusing airtime and advertising to those whose opinions and social agendas they may disagree with. There is an excellent, thorough and very enlightening Wikipedia entry on Clear Channel Communications that is a highly informative and worthwhile read that can certainly explain Clear Channel with more clarity and detail than I can here. However, the next time you listen to callers on Coast to Coast, consider this little factoid from the aforementioned Wikipedia entry, "Clear Channel, through its subsidiary, Premiere Radio Networks, auditions and hires actors to call in to talk radio shows and pose as listeners in order to provide shows, carried by Clear Channel and other broadcasters, with planned content in the form of stories and opinions." Times have surely changed at Coast to Coast since the days of Art Bell.

So, in the end it wasn't any talk of "aliens" or any such fringe material that got John B. Wells, one of the show's most popular hosts fired from Coast to Coast, it was the other "off limits" topics that he was interested in bringing to people's attention. For an excellent and enlightening piece about the John B. Wells firing and the whole Coast to Coast story in general read Dave Hodges article, "John B. Wells Fired for Being Too Popular and Truthful"

Meanwhile, John. B Wells has launched a daily radio talk show and subscription video podcast called Caravan to Midnight.

Last edited:

Frijid

Enlightened
If you pay close attention to the subtle but distinct leanings of many of the more recent guests on Coast to Coast you will come to realize that there has been a definite shift in the direction of the show that reflects the corporate agenda and politics of the mass media giant Clear Channel Communications, the owner of Coast to Coast. Most of Clear Channel's news/talk stations carry some combination of Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity and Noory. Although they sponsor a wide variety of radio programing that includes varying political persuasions they have had a controversial and well documented corporate history of censoring or refusing airtime and advertising to those whose opinions and social agendas they may disagree with. There is an excellent, thorough and very enlightening Wikipedia entry on Clear Channel Communications that is a highly informative and worthwhile read that can certainly explain Clear Channel with more clarity and detail than I can here. However, the next time you listen to callers on Coast to Coast, consider this little factoid from the aforementioned Wikipedia entry, "Clear Channel, through its subsidiary, Premiere Radio Networks, auditions and hires actors to call in to talk radio shows and pose as listeners in order to provide shows, carried by Clear Channel and other broadcasters, with planned content in the form of stories and opinions." Times have surely changed at Coast to Coast since the days of Art Bell.

So, in the end it wasn't any talk of "aliens" or any such fringe material that got John B. Wells, one of the show's most popular hosts fired from Coast to Coast, it was the other "off limits" topics that he was interested in bringing to people's attention. For an excellent and enlightening piece about the John B. Wells firing and the whole Coast to Coast story in general read Dave Hodges article, "John B. Wells Fired for Being Too Popular and Truthful"

Now that you mention it, i did notice some of his shows in the last few months when he hosted started to venture into the alex jones kinda stories. But still, i thought C2C would be open to almost anything. Glad he has his own channel now where he's free to discuss anything he wants. Personally i thought he was a better host than noory. I do know that there were some guest that noory had banned simply for appearing on art bells show at the time called dark matter. Can't recall their name though. I know the fill in hosts that took well's place are boring. C2C lost their best host since bell...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's good to hear about John B Wells having his own show, I think the proper response to C2C going corporate is to launch a flotilla of independent shows to fill the void [now we just need Art to join them]; less Starbucks and more Blue Bottle.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I was sorry to hear Wells was gone. Always enjoyed his weekend stints. C2C has certainly slipped in recent years.

Geoff

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good to hear about John B Wells having his own show, I think the proper response to C2C going corporate is to launch a flotilla of independent shows to fill the void [now we just need Art to join them]; less Starbucks and more Blue Bottle.

Alas, it lacks Art Bell, but check out the Dark Matter Radio Network. Keith Rowland, Art Bell's former webmaster at Coast to Coast and current webmaster at artbell.com (aka: Art Bell's Dark Matter) has created The Dark Matter Radio Network to stream paranormal, scientific, technology and overall strange talk radio programs on the Internet to serve the fans of Art Bell. It is basically the "flotilla of independent shows" you are talking about StarHalo. The show also has it's own TuneIn Radio App channel, so an iPad or iPhone can be the most convenient and enjoyable vehicle for listening. (See also: DMRN)

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sorry to hear Wells was gone. Always enjoyed his weekend stints. C2C has certainly slipped in recent years.

Geoff

I miss John Wells too and agree with you that C2C has gone way down hill and with Frijid that it's boring.....and that article I linked makes it all downright depressing.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure anyone interested in the subject of Art Bell's departure from Sirius/XM might be interested in this forum post from the man himself back on February 06, 2014, 08:02:59 PM on BellGab.com - THE Art Bell Fan Forum

Among other things, he weighs in on the JBW (John B. Wells) situation and is highly supportive of the article I linked yesterday by Dave Hodges.
More here.

- RE: Art Bell Quits Dark Matter (link) - « Reply #22435 on: » Topic: Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

"As I have posted on Facebook and as I promised on this Forum, as soon as I am released from the Sirius/XM NC I will begin streaming my own show. The article so well written about JBW only confirms
what I have felt for YEARS.

I might have better luck asking Julie for a release of my NC.......I say this because while I was trying to talk to Sirius/XM two days after I left, I simply could not understand why they were not responding to my offer to return if they would only allow streaming until Sirius fixed their problems, when I finally did get a response it was to inform me that Coast would be taking my spot on channel 104.

It is my feeling that "they" want me kept off the air, ho hum, I will fool them by staying healthy and kicking their *** as soon as I can get free."

Art

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art Bell will always be the best. He can't be replaced. I look forward to his streaming return!

Frijid

Enlightened

Among other things, he weighs in on the JBW (John B. Wells) situation and is highly supportive of the article I linked yesterday by Dave Hodges.
More here.

It appears to me art took up for john? I know george pretty much appears to have known john down the memory hole.

On a side note, a guy has uploaded johns new shows to youtube. WOW, a major snooze-fest. He'd better pick up the pace, or he's gonna lose subscribers. He is nothing on his show compared to how he was on C2C. One example, he spent like 3-4 days, back to back, talking about the beatles. I hope he is just warming up his engines and getting used to his new show, because after reading some of the comments on youtube, i'm not the only one thinking he's a bore on his new show.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Alas, it lacks Art Bell, but check out the Dark Matter Radio Network.

I've tuned in to Dark Matter from time to time over the last couple of weeks and must say, I'm very impressed - this is precisely the gathering of independent shows aspiring to be Coast to Coast that I was wishing for earlier. It seems they even have Art's ratio of assorted subjects down, some paranormal, some science, some fringe, some topical discussion, etc. It's like having new/live C2C content available 24/7..

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tuned in to Dark Matter from time to time over the last couple of weeks and must say, I'm very impressed - this is precisely the gathering of independent shows aspiring to be Coast to Coast that I was wishing for earlier. It seems they even have Art's ratio of assorted subjects down, some paranormal, some science, some fringe, some topical discussion, etc. It's like having new/live C2C content available 24/7..

Glad to hear that you are enjoying DMRN. I hope more and more fans of this material and of the "real" Art Bell show become aware of it. I for one am grateful to have an alternative to what the current show has become.

Here and there I've still made a stab at listening to C2C if there is a guest on who I think may interest me and I am astonished at the hidden agenda being put forth on most nights. If you pay attention and take the time to do a little research on the background, history, publications and previous media appearances of certain of these guests, it becomes all too apparent. And some of the highly supportive, obsequious remarks coming out of George Noory's mouth just leave me shaking my head....and leave me wondering how many people are picking up on what is going on and how many people are being influenced by this.

Since becoming aware that Premiere Radio Networks "secretly" hires actors to pose as callers to these shows it becomes rather obvious when you hear them on the air. I've noticed as well that during the news segments on many of these stations the "random" unidentified "man on the street" comments that are sprinkled in with the news also are part of this agenda. I've also learned that this new awareness and scrutiny since 2011 about paid actors posing as callers to their shows has lead Premiere to remove most of the information from their still accessible "Premiere ON CALL" web page, nevertheless, the link for auditioning to become a paid caller is still there, in case anyone reading this thinks this whole story is some sort of conspiracy theory. Also this TRS article has much more interesting information about this topic for anyone who is interested. Also here.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Got a postcard at Hamvention announcing that Art Bell is returning to the airwaves with "Midnight in the Desert" beginning in July 2015. The postcard stated it will be on WTWW 5.085khz, but I'm sure that's a typo and it should be 5.085mhz.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Ha, that's clever; it won't matter what your local affiliates/networks are, just one big signal anyone can get. Wonder what the coverage will be..

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's apaprently one of those religious shortwave stations. They have a 100kw transmitter in Lebanon, Tennessee, east of Nashville. I'm pretty sure I can receive them where I am. My guess is that he's buying brokered time in the overnight slot.

Confirmed that it's 5.085mhz from Wikipedia's entry for the station.

Last edited:

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
I used to love listening to Art back in the day. He seems to have had a helluva time getting back into radio over the past few years, though. I hope this newest attempt is finally successful. I'd love to hear Art on a regular basis again. :cool:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
For many months now Dark Matter Radio Network, the internet streaming channel I mentioned in this thread quite some time ago has been featuring the intriguing tag line, "Art Bell Returns in July". DMRN is available via the Tune-in mobile app for smartphones and tablets as well as directly on the internet.

Art Bell's new show "Midnight in the Desert" will be airing on July 20th, 2015 and it will be broadcast on shortwave via WTWW and streaming on the internet via Tune-in Radio and through Art's web site directly. So if you can't or don't want to listen to the show on shortwave radio you will be able to access it anywhere you can get the internet.

WTWW (We Transmit World Wide) is owned by George McClintock who was one of the owners of WWCR (World Wide Christian Radio) in Nashville, Tennessee. WWCR has a long history of leasing airtime to non-religious broadcasters such as Radio Free America hosted by Tom Valentine, World of Radio hosted by Glenn Hauser, Newswatch Magazine hosted by David J. Smith, The Hour of the Time hosted by William Cooper,(now THAT was a show!) Radio New York International hosted by Allan Weiner and many others. It looks like WTWW intends to do the same. Watch their developing programming schedule for some interesting DXing possibilities.

Go to http://artbell.com/ to learn more about the new Art Bell show. Be sure to check out the FAQ!

The show will be free to all but there will be a membership subscription option for access to the archives and you'll also be able to access the "Wormhole" and send Art messages/questions during the show.

There will be two Skype computers running, one for North America (US/Canada/Mexico) and one for International callers.

The show will be sponsored by advertisers.

There will be a live Twitter feed during the show and there are two BBS style message forums, one moderated and one not.

The show will not be broadcast on any terrestrial radio stations or on satellite.

Art Bell Returns in July!

Last edited: