Anyone here listen to the radio show called Coast to Coast AM?

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
I listened to it a whole lot when I was younger and had nothing better to do. Back when I was living with my parents and had no money, and later when I was living with my sister and still had no money and also no TV set. Sipping vodka and listening to the entire four hour broadcast every night was basically a ritual on the weekdays. I liked how they basically allowed anybody and everybody on the show: they would interview respected scientists and then take calls from crazy conspiracy nuts who think the world is run by lizard people. It was good stuff.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I used to listen all the time. Good entertainment. Some crazy stuff seems plausible. Or I guess you could say, it makes you question things. Which probably isn't a bad thing. Strangely they have been proven correct a few times. They talked about US Govt spying on its citizens and other countries too. That was years before it came out to be proven true. So makes you kinda wonder about some of the other stuff.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean it isn't? :p They're already selling us auto insurance.

Auto insurance is nothing, at least you get some of your money back if you crash. They steal your money and make you vote for them by using that same money they stole from you :nana:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
:caution:TONIGHT TONIGHT TONIGHT:caution:

9 PM PDT/Midnight EDT

Live on ArtBell.com
Live on the TuneIn app, search Dark Matter Digital Network
Live on shortwave, 5085 kHz

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Midnight in the Desert: M-F 9:00 P.M. until midnight! Art Bell is back and live! Information, phone numbers, and link to Dark Matter! You can stream live for free or subscribe for full-access to past shows for $5.00/month....

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still miss Art Bell.

It's probably already been mentioned many times, but there is no coast to coast without Art Bell.

That time when he went off the air for like 3 minutes, " The plug was pulled on that call, everything just shut down! I've never seen anything like that! We lost the caller...." I peed in my pants a little.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Art has stated openly that Midnight is much closer to the vision he had for a radio show than Coast; while Midnight hasn't been around long enough to have any "classic" episodes, the overall format and feel is a big improvement over Coast. Much more program and less commercials, more conversation with Art, less of a corporate feel..

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art has stated openly that Midnight is much closer to the vision he had for a radio show than Coast; while Midnight hasn't been around long enough to have any "classic" episodes, the overall format and feel is a big improvement over Coast. Much more program and less commercials, more conversation with Art, less of a corporate feel..

Hmmmmm

Gotta check that out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Working night shift all summer got me hook on flashlights.
And very nearly coast to coast...until the night the vampire was explaining to other vampires how to get uncle sam to pay for their psyc pills.

But I did learn a lot about what's really going on behind our backs while world leaders play "the hand is quicker than the eye" games...

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great news...Art Bell? Hopefully, this new show will remind me C2C of days gone by! Has anyone been listening and can relay how the show is going thus far? It seems that the subscription price is now $7.99 monthly?...

Also, tonight's broadcast (9/23) doesn't seem to be linking up with who is supposed to be the guest? Any idea why?

Edit: it's a repeat of the 9/7 show....?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Art's off the air tonight as the Internet is down at his location.

The show is basically an improved/maximized version of Coast; almost no commercials, brief news to open then immediately to the guest for a lengthy in-depth convo, free calling with Skype, more input thanks to texts/emails/etc.

The show is free to listen live, lots of listening options as discussed earlier in the radios thread.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art's off the air tonight as the Internet is down at his location.

The show is basically an improved/maximized version of Coast; almost no commercials, brief news to open then immediately to the guest for a lengthy in-depth convo, free calling with Skype, more input thanks to texts/emails/etc.

The show is free to listen live, lots of listening options as discussed earlier in the radios thread.

Thanks for the info.

Re: radios...I used the TuneIn app to listen to the shaw last night, but I am looking for a good radio that can pick up shortwave, so thanks for the link. The Skywave seems like "the one," but I'm wondering if there are any non-super technical reviews that you - or anybody here - has found helpful? How is the sound? Does it pick up SW channels well?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay Allen is the radio review guy, be sure to peruse the site..

So I read his review...he's obviously very knowledgeable about these radios! One this he kinda glossed over on though was sound. I don't want to buy one of these and then have my iPhone 5S sound better!

Can anybody comment about the sound from this radio?

Or, are there any other recommendations for a radio like this that has very good sound, knob station tuning, and about the same size?

I read end on the radio thread about the Tecsun 110, but there is no tuning knob and I'm not so certain - this would be my first radio like this - that I would intuitively grasp the non-English writing on the face of the radio...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Can anybody comment about the sound from this radio?

Or, are there any other recommendations for a radio like this that has very good sound, knob station tuning, and about the same size?

The Skywave is extremely tiny for a shortwave radio; you can't tell from the pictures but it's about the dimensions of a smartphone and just over an inch thick. There are a couple of other world band radios roughly that size, but you're not going to get any surprises sound quality-wise from these models. The good news is that this works in your favor for shortwave listening - most SW signals are distant and weak, and have a pretty narrow/"low-fidelity" bandwidth that won't sound much different on a larger speaker (aside from the various whistles, squeals, and bursts of noise all over the band you would not want rendered in detail.) If you want a world band radio with a big quality speaker for FM/strong signal listening, you'll need to look to the large carry-handle format ~$150 class, like the Tecsun 880 (or a used Grundig/Eton S350 series for ~$90.)

Should also note: Art's show is done entirely in the digital realm and thus sounds much better on the online stream than the radio broadcast allows for. An online device connected to a hi-fi Bluetooth speaker or sound system will blow away any portable radio sound-wise.