Armytek Dobermann (XP-L HI) review, anyone? Where are reviews on Armytek lights?

D6859

Enlightened
You guys that own it already... How "jeans pocket" friendly is it?

Quick question, just to make sure I'm reading the manual correctly...
If I turn the light on with the head loosened it starts in whatever mode I shut it off in and if I turn it on with the head tightened it always starts in turbo/high correct?

Also... Is there any indication of "need to change battery" before the battery gets below minimal voltage? For example... My old jetbeam (BA20) won't go into high when the batteries need charged but will work on low for a while so you're not stranded with no light..

Hi Scott and :welcome:

I haven't tested the light with jeans, but it fits into the pockets in my other trousers well. For size comparison see post #26. I'm carrying TN12 daily. I'd say it's jeans pocket friendly, but I'm not sure about Dobermann.

You have understood the UI correct. But notice that if you turn off the light and turn it back on in ~2 seconds it changes the mode instead of turning on with the previous used mode. I think the time it's "waiting" for the second press is too long. Like if you wanted to give two fast "bursts" with strobe there should be >2 s between them or you'll turn on the firefly mode (quite the opposite to strobe intended...).

About the low battery the manual says: "Low Battery Indication. When it is <10%, the LED flashes 2 times ONCE. If you are not sure if it flashed or not switch theflashlight off and on: in case the battery is low flashes will be repeated. At critical level light output decreases to Firefly mode." I haven't tested the light so far though. I use protected batteries anyway.

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
D6859....
I appreciate your response.... I checked the size comparo you linked and it looks like it should be just fine... I usually wear "relaxed fit" jeans so I have a bit of extra room anyhow..
I see your response about the UI.. Good to know and I'll keep it in mind...
I'll likely lock the strobe out (I wish I could keep the lower firefly mode though)..
All I really use is high and low low (firefly/moonlight.. Something under 5 lumens) .... But I want a light that I can access either of those modes immediately from OFF...

The dobermann pro looks to fit the bill... I was looking at the jetbeam 3m pro as well but the armytek seems to have a better throw and is slightly smaller

Good to know about the low battery indication... All I have are unprotected 18650... (Samsung 25R) after I reload the wallet a bit I'll likely pick up a couple higher mah protected cells...

ToNIX

Enlightened
What's the difference between the Dobermann and the Dobermann Pro? I'm comparing the manuals, except for the peak candelas and the extra firefly mode, it's pretty much the same. Is this right?

D6859

Enlightened
What's the difference between the Dobermann and the Dobermann Pro? I'm comparing the manuals, except for the peak candelas and the extra firefly mode, it's pretty much the same. Is this right?

Yes, AFAIK.

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
That's funny..... I looked HARD at one of these and decided to go with the Malkoff md2 instead..
I'll probably order it with the M61N tho...

Just curious, why are you swapping them?
The main reason fueling my decision in favor of the Malkoff are the warranty and keeping $ in the USA..
When I smoked I carried Zippo lighters for many of the same reasons I decided on Malkoff

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek like to drive their lights hard.

Dobermann Pro XP-L HI
1250 Lumens
450m Beam distance

Dobermann Pro XPH-35 HI
1600 Lumens
500m Beam distance.

These are Armytek numbers and NOT mine. I would expect the XPH-35 HI to have a larger hotspot, more lumens but a little less throw. Close up it should prove to be more impressive over the XP-L HI. The tint should be cool white if Armytek buy this colour temperature.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek like to drive their lights hard.

Dobermann Pro XP-L HI
1250 Lumens
450m Beam distance

Dobermann Pro XPH-35 HI
1600 Lumens
500m Beam distance.

These are Armytek numbers and NOT mine. I would expect the XPH-35 HI to have a larger hotspot, more lumens but a little less throw. Close up it should prove to be more impressive over the XP-L HI. The tint should be cool white if Armytek buy this colour temperature.

Based on my experience with the Dobermann Pro LE and Predator Pro LE, I think, as a rule of thumb, expect actual beam distance on paper to be only 70-80% of what Armytek claims. That way, you'll be less disappointed.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my experience with the Dobermann Pro LE and Predator Pro LE, I think, as a rule of thumb, expect actual beam distance on paper to be only 70-80% of what Armytek claims. That way, you'll be less disappointed.

I see you too are familiar with their claims lol :sssh:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Thank you guys. If it is cool white, I will buy it because I don't like the tint of my Dobermann Pro v3 LE XP-L HI. The tint is NW but I prefer CW as my PP HI and BP HI. The DP that my dealer has are all NW. I have the new UI that take 5 cycles instead of 3 to disable the strobe/firefly1. I dont know if they have all the same tint as mine with the new UI. I hope to not have the same tint with the new XPH-35 HI.

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
That's funny..... I looked HARD at one of these and decided to go with the Malkoff md2 instead..
I'll probably order it with the M61N tho...

Just curious, why are you swapping them?
The main reason fueling my decision in favor of the Malkoff are the warranty and keeping $ in the USA..
When I smoked I carried Zippo lighters for many of the same reasons I decided on Malkoff

I don't know, the MD2 has been rock solid. I guess it's just the feeling of getting something new :D

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened
It started snowing again, so I couldn't take beamshots outside. In all that snow in the air the throw seemed to reach as far as my TN12. I used the light mounted on my bike when I was riding to the lake, so the battery got cold. After running it on for a few minutes on the lake it started blinking. I guess the pattern was hi-off-med-off-hi. I think it was warning about dying battery. It's almost -20 °C (-4 °F) here, so my NCR18650B was on its lower limit.

I maged to take some size comparison pictures with my mobile phone:
tn12_dp_pp_ec4sw_size_comparison.jpg

From left to right: Thrunite TN12 (2016), Dobermann Pro (XP-L HI), Predator Pro v2.5, Nitecore EC4SW (disregard that the label says EC4S)

Except for the protruding tailswitch Dobermann is as long as my EDC TN12. That's amazing! :)

dobermann_vs_predator.jpg

Dobermann's head can fit into Predator's mouth

bad_boys.jpg

Two bad boys

Does the Dobermann out throw your Predator v2.5 by alot?

D6859

Enlightened
Does the Dobermann out throw your Predator v2.5 by alot?

It's hard to tell as the weather conditions haven't been the best possible to test the throw (snowing, foggy etc.) when I've been out with them. The spill in Dobermann is a lot brighter than in Predator. The hotspots seem equal in size but I can't say wether it's brighter in Dobermann. Dobermann has more overall lumens for sure.

clemence

Newly Enlightened
It's hard to tell as the weather conditions haven't been the best possible to test the throw (snowing, foggy etc.) when I've been out with them. The spill in Dobermann is a lot brighter than in Predator. The hotspots seem equal in size but I can't say wether it's brighter in Dobermann. Dobermann has more overall lumens for sure.

Mine is Predator Pro v.3 LE with XP-L HI, definitely brighter with bigger hotspot than the older Predator models. I believe the perceived brightness is almost the same with Dobermann. I almost buy the Dobermann because it's smaller and more portable than Predator. Got the Prime Pro C2 on the way.... the slim profile and easy to use side switch makes me forget all the tactical models for EDC ever since. Prime's TIR optics also gives the best spot:flood ratio for my needs.
But I'm still curious about this Dobermann. Do you guys have any comparison pictures of Predator LE vs. Dobermann?

Last edited: