Bored With Surefire?

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
You must understand it's quite complicated to reduce the light output from an LED while maintaining it's output characteristics. If you simply reduce the supply current to the LED, the tint will shift. So most of the multi-output LED lights have an microprocessor inside that turns the LED on and off very fast in order to reduce the lumens output. In technical term, it's called the duty cycle of the Pulse Width Modulation (PCM).

Now in a variable output light like the T1A. The microprocessor must continuously monitor the bezel dial, and adjust the duty cycle on the fly. So the software is far more complicated. There must be a digital rotation sensor so the microprocessor can read bezel position. (Microprocessors can only read digital signal, so you can't just use a cheap potentiometer, unless you use more expensive microprocessor that has a built-in Analog-to-Digital Converter). All this technologies, pack into the head assembly, that's less than 2cm diameter x 2cm tall.

Fenix PD20 $55 - Surefire T1A $240. Both have PCM circuits. Fenix has logic to read the clicky, to change modes. Surefire uses a potentiometer. I would say firmware complexity is a wash.

I not sure an extra $185 for a potentiometer, explains it. Beyond that, having a weak link like a potentiometer in a flashlight, is not exactly a good idea for "Legendary Reliablility".

KRUPPSTAHL

Newly Enlightened
surefire ......

i am also not such a huge fan no more....after what they have done to Pentagonlight.

so far i have not and will not purchase any new SF light...
to much money, since there are other extremly well made
lights out there for less money.

still, i like my SF parts.....equipped with other drop ins
and mixed with other components.

but nothing on the SF horizon that i absolutely have to have......and would be willing to cough up lots of money for......

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
Disclaimer, not for the easily offended or those that take things personal, like the world revolves around you

If you want to know why Surefire's are what they are, ask a soldier that uses them. I did, on Memorial Day.
They are designed to work under stress and not fail. Surefire catalogs show pictures of rugged ads, not taking the trash out and walking the dog to go poop, not their market.
I own over 70 lights, $10-$800, and when I fly and make a choice of what light carry, it's my L1 and ARC LSHP, because they don't fail. Price and lumen's doesn't concern me in regards to my life, and primary batteries are proven.

I love Surefire knurling, so I look at the cost of their knurling is the price difference :grin2:

How many rich people say they won't buy a BMW or Mercedes because they are behind in technology from Lexus or Volvo. This is like people that don't like Caterpillar equipment because they can't afford it, though they call their John Deere or Case a Cat and it isn't in the same league.

So that is my reply to a question that shows a lack in ability to discriminate features and quality between something called a "flashlight" from different manufacturers with different mission statements. Newest isn't the best, that's a judgment.
You may read this as coming off gruff, I see it as the truth. Cheap people want quality for nothing. That's an illusion...
Russ
And the best argument for owning Surefires is because I can and you won't :nana:
Some of us have worked with the best and know why it has the reputation it carries. It is the men and women of the companies that put so much effort and love into the designs and manufacture and care about what the end users think of their creations.
Ask yourself this, if you won the lottery, you wouldn't buy Surefire?
I know the truthful answer, do you?

I wouldn't say gruff. I would say "Brand Biased".

I guess I wonder why this forum even exists, seeing that Surefire is the best period. No need to look at anything else.

Oh wait, we have a bunch of cheap skates here, that can't discriminate features and quality, and don't have the money to buy the obvious world's best flashlights from Surefire.

So we are just trying to find the best inferior lights?

Sorry, but I will take the PD20 over the T1A, and the Jet-III M over the E2DL. And it has nothing to do with money.

Funny how my so called cheap lights, seem to light up everytime.

By the way the world doesn't revolve around me, but it is obvious that Surefire made the Sun, so we all revolve around Surefire.

Last edited:

henry1960

Enlightened
Good to see you FINALLY coming around Al !

@OP,
Whether or not you are "bored" with Surefire largely depends on what you are personally looking for in a flashlight and how cutting edge you wish to be. I'm glad to see that this thread was allowed to stand. Surefire always seems like a very touchy subject. What I think is the biggest difference is your application and the background you are coming from. A Surefire flashlight is a premium quality TOOL designed for a purpose. This will limit it to geeks just looking for the latest cutting edge TOY . NOT saying that is always the case, but I'm trying for simplification and not trying to put down, nor rule out other flashlights used as "tools". If you've ever been a professional in a certain field, there's always these comparisons based on COST of what the pros used compared to x,y,z brand. Anyone that buys and actually uses tools for a living will know exactly what I'm talking about. e.g. Fluke vs. Mastech/RadioShack, SnapOn vs. Craftsman, Makita vs. Ryobi. etc. If you are using a tool every day you immediately appreciate the differences and especially the durability obtained from the R&D that the top manufacturers devote to their products. Cost quickly becomes secondary and forgotten about in the long run, especially if you're earning a living with them or depending on them for your life.

Very Well Said :thumbsup:

dchao

Enlightened
SF to the flashlight market is like Apple to the computer market. Apple think outside the box and come up with unique solution for the problem. SF is the same.

I collect lights that are unique. Understand the technologies under the skin helps. Lights like the A2, U2, Kroma, and now T1A are all very unique, and still have no competition in the market. All the profit from the military, surely helps them to play with new experimental projects, and coming up with different lights.

So I am always looking out for new SF products.

Fenix has logic to read the clicky, to change modes. Surefire uses a potentiometer. I would say firmware complexity is a wash.

I had a HDS EDC60 in a drawer, unused, for more than 6 month. One day I picked it up again, for a few minutes, I had totally forgot how to change the modes. Clicky is complicated, and there is no standard UI.

Last edited:

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
Not bored at all here, I just purchased a LX2 and love the design and look of it. I'm pretty excited about the A2L so I can't wait to get my grubby hands on that. YMMV

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a SF "fan", but never bored. I love a lot of SF's designs. Their lights make magnificent hosts for mods or aftermarket bulbs, and their shortcomings as practical lighting tools are usually fixable. I don't care for the added expense, but noone else produces a line of such well-made lights, and a little upgrading can indeed make them "state of the art".
Right now, all of my real users are Surefires that have been modded either with replacement for the stock emitter/optic, with aftermarket drop-ins from Malkoff, or aftermarket bulbs from Lumens Factory.

I try to ignore the drama, fanboys, and complainers, and concentrate on getting what I want out of the products. I have some very nice flashlights as a result. Plus, being able to have something different from the norm, not to mention optimized for my personal use, are part of what makes this a fun hobby. It would actually be kind of boring to have a bunch of stock lights that there was nothing "special" about.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
The subject of "If you life depends on it" seems to always come up in these threads. Yet there is no actual statistics to back it up.

Generalities don't mean much to me. I don't think being more expensive makes something better.

"Surefires are dependable and other lights aren't". "1911's all jam". "Glocks are not accurate, and blow up". In my experience, just a bunch of internet banter. My 1911's don't jam, my Glocks are accurate, never blow up, and I have a 30 year old Mag 6 cell that still works fine.

Where are the numbers. The clicky on a Fenix will fail after 2 million clicks, but a Surefire will last for 10 million clicks?

What's funny to me is that if reliability is the most important factor, why would anyone ever carry an incandescent flashlight? You never know when a bulb is going to flash. It may last 50 hours or 2 hours. Why does Surefire even sell incandescent flashlights at this point?

The point being, if you want me to believe that Surefire is somehow so much more dependable then Fenix, Olight, Tiablo, or a host of other quality lights, show me the proof.

I just don't buy into it.

As for military use, they replaced the 1911 and .45acp with Beretta M9's and 9mm. Not exactly what I call a good choice. :)

These Surefire threads are very entertaining. Very cult like.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
The subject of "If you life depends on it" seems to always come up in these threads. Yet there is no actual statistics to back it up.

Generalities don't mean much to me. I don't think being more expensive makes something better.

"Surefires are dependable and other lights aren't". "1911's all jam". "Glocks are not accurate, and blow up". In my experience, just a bunch of internet banter. My 1911's don't jam, my Glocks are accurate, never blow up, and I have a 30 year old Mag 6 cell that still works fine.

Where are the numbers. The clicky on a Fenix will fail after 2 million clicks, but a Surefire will last for 10 million clicks?

What's funny to me is that if reliability is the most important factor, why would anyone ever carry an incandescent flashlight? You never know when a bulb is going to flash. It may last 50 hours or 2 hours. Why does Surefire even sell incandescent flashlights at this point?

The point being, if you want me to believe that Surefire is somehow so much more dependable then Fenix, Olight, Tiablo, or a host of other quality lights, show me the proof.

I just don't buy into it.

As for military use, they replaced the 1911 and .45acp with Beretta M9's and 9mm. Not exactly what I call a good choice. :)

These Surefire threads are very entertaining. Very cult like.

I think the "statistics" do not exist as you want to see them -- but are more along the lines of the fact that Surefire has been battle tested for x number of years, while Fenix, Olight, Tiablo, Nitecore, Jetbeam, etc... have not been. When one of these companies has been around for 25+ years and have LEO's and the like backing them up saying "yes, I've used this companies product for my entire career and I trust them", then they can claim the same level of reliability.

That being said, I like lights in general, not just because I'm an LEO. I have Nitecore lights, a Jetbeam, Fenix, and even a Solarforce. But the only ones I use at work are Surefire and Streamlight. Why? Because I already know they will work. (I have taken my Jetbeam M III to work with happy results actually, but I still had a 6P in pocket :)

Maybe I'm a little nuts, but I don't feel I can completely rely on anything else while on duty, and I'm guessing others feel the same -- and THIS is where Surefire gets its reputation. Some will understand this, others might not. I don't knock anyone for it, it's just how I feel.

L84CABO

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to say thanks to all for sharing your opinions. I have enjoyed every one of them...even the one or two that were...um...a bit "gruff" ;-)

Seriously though, it's great that we can keep this on an adult level. It's unfortunate when you can't have a discussion on a forum that includes "peaceful" constructive criticism on products and manufacturers. I mean, isn't that part of the point?

Again, thank you all!

Peace

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
I think the "statistics" do not exist as you want to see them -- but are more along the lines of the fact that Surefire has been battle tested for x number of years, while Fenix, Olight, Tiablo, Nitecore, Jetbeam, etc... have not been. When one of these companies has been around for 25+ years and have LEO's and the like backing them up saying "yes, I've used this companies product for my entire career and I trust them", then they can claim the same level of reliability.

That being said, I like lights in general, not just because I'm an LEO. I have Nitecore lights, a Jetbeam, Fenix, and even a Solarforce. But the only ones I use at work are Surefire and Streamlight. Why? Because I already know they will work. (I have taken my Jetbeam M III to work with happy results actually, but I still had a 6P in pocket :)

Maybe I'm a little nuts, but I don't feel I can completely rely on anything else while on duty, and I'm guessing others feel the same -- and THIS is where Surefire gets its reputation. Some will understand this, others might not. I don't knock anyone for it, it's just how I feel.

I understand completely, and I am not a Surefire hater. As a matter of fact, I like Surefire stuff, and sent a 6PD to my son who is a Marine MP in Afghanistan. Tried and true is a good thing, and my favorite big light is a Streamlight SL-20X with a SL-35X lamp assembly. It is not the best thrower in the world, but lights up a wide area, and works perfectly.

My second favorite big light is the MagCharger running a WA1160. Not as nice a flood as the SL-35X, but a real good throw.

I understand your choice in duty lights, and can't argue with it one bit. I wont argue with anyone about buying a Surefire. If they choose to spend the money on a safe bet, then that is smart.

My only issue is when someone tries to imply that other lights are somehow inferior, without anything to back that up.

I'll put it this way. Surefire is proven stuff, and you can't go wrong. Some of the other lights aren't proven, but they sure seem to work great.

The Jet-III M is a great light. I didn't realize how bad the Fenix TK-11 Cree donut was until getting the Jet-III M. Now the TK-11 is heading to Ebay, and I am going to order an Olight M30 with the warmer R2 Cree.

I guess the bottom line is some of us are Flashoholics, and to be honest, I would probably grab the Streamlight with the SL-35X off the charging cradle first if the electricity went out.

Beyond that, stay safe out there.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to say thanks to all for sharing your opinions. I have enjoyed every one of them...even the one or two that were...um...a bit "gruff" ;-)

It is fun stuff, and nothing I have (non-HID) throws better then my MagCharger with a WA1160. And Maglite isn't exactly highbrow. :)

The end result is good light in the dark.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
ColoradoStoneman,

I guess I'll be the one to tell you so the thread hopefully doesn't get locked, but you've gone very off topic with every reply you've made to this thread.
The point you are making has been beaten to death since the inception of this forum and is the very reason DM51 intervened with a warning on the first page of this thread.
He's either sleeping or in a very charitable mood tonight. :laughing:

The OP asked, very strategically I might add :devil:, "are you bored with Surefire"?

That's all.
Peace.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This thread is going ok, and I am glad to see it. People are being mostly polite and that is good. I am not bored with SF's, and am not the type of person to jump on the newest and bestest SF that shows up, or may show up, in fact I get bored with the threads that have to do with the upcoming SF lights that go on and on with little or no info available, and who cares how long it takes the next SF light to show up!!!! I don't. However, I do like SF lights, and am usually a little slow to get them, and just the other day finally got a E2L dual mode Outdoorsman. Talk about being behind the times, but I like this light, and don't want an LX2, so go figure. It is fun being a flashaholic, I totally enjoy being one, and wish that all of us "flashaholics" felt that way so we can enjoy this activity and not ever get worked up. There, I said it.

Bill

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
ColoradoStoneman,

I guess I'll be the one to tell you so the thread hopefully doesn't get locked, but you've gone very off topic with every reply you've made to this thread.
The point you are making has been beaten to death since the inception of this forum and is the very reason DM51 intervened with a warning on the first page of this thread.
He's either sleeping or in a very charitable mood tonight. :laughing:

The OP asked, very strategically I might add :devil:, "are you bored with Surefire"?

That's all.
Peace.

You have got to be kidding????

Someone shares their thoughts, and only gets away with it because DM51 is sleeping?

Sorry, but I don't see where I insulted anyone, and if this is Jr high, where we better watch what we say, I guess I don't belong.

Did I insult someone, or is it that my opinion should be the forum's opinion, or maybe your opinion.

Sorry, but what you just posted was the weirdest thing I every read on a forum.

I am a Marine Corps family, and two Marines were killed in Afghanistan yesterday. My main concern today, is if I have a visit from a couple of Marines telling me that my Son was killed yesterday, and not if I made someone, that is obsessed with Surefire flashlights, upset with my "very polite" posts.

In reality, you don't have to read or care about what I post, but if it makes you so afraid that I have an opinion, that you have to make threats, then I have to wonder what scares you so much? What is it about someone's thoughts that scares you?

Pretty amazing that a flashlight discussion needs a censor, while my fellow Marines fight and die in foreign lands.

Seriously, your post is pretty weird. Off topic? What is the topic? That's right, Surefire flashlights. The choice of the military? As long as the members of the military agree with the forum?

There are a lot of Military and Leo's here that just want the facts, and have a interest in reality, without censorship. We are adults, at least those that can read a post without trying to silence those with an opinion that you may not agree with.

Good grief.

If they don't agree, just shut them up. You are worried about opinions on flashlights? I shutter to think what you would think about the opinions of our enemies, that want to kill every one of us? They are much more evil then I am.

Good Luck.

Semper FI

Buy the way, where exactly are you in the "ARMED_FORCES"? I'm not much in the mood for an internet warrior, while my son is in the poop.

Just curious.

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
its just a flashlight.

lighten up everyone. Go have a beer or pop, or cigar or hug or something.

many people here have family or are in the "sh:green:t" as some put it. Some are also in other areas of the military. No one here is any better or any less a person as a result.

its just a flashlight.

:sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2:

Bushman5

Enlightened
edit: be glad we live in a continent where we can debate about such things freely (within reason) and have such choice in our flashlight purchases. Remember that CPF is only about .000001% of the world when its comes to flashlights. The other 99.999999% of people that use flashlights think we're nuts for spending $20 let alone some of the prices we spend, for a FLASHLIGHT!.

oh let the hate flow, get it off your chests, i know i know.....sacrilegious what i said! :sick:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have 2 SF(A2, M6) but they have left a positive impression on me. I'm looking forward to picking up a Saint and maybe a A2L.

I also agree, its just a flashlight people.:tinfoil:

-Mayo