Can I ask a knife recommendation?

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the replies. I let this all marinate a little bit, watched a bazillion youtube reviews, and read up (more) on all the different aspects of steels, locks and looks. In the end, I think I finally narrowed it down to these:

#1 - Eden Quality 106-BW (black stonewash - see above): it's cheap, slim, OEM of my favorite store and just a must to throw in my shopping basket. Can become a beater or even something I leave in the car (pending legality of doing so, might have to put it in a toolkit or trunk).

#2 - Benchmade Griptilian: Didn't like it at first, but the steel seems to be the perfect balance of hardness, ease of sharpening and durability. It's expensive but seems to check all my boxes. I was a bit thorn between the mini and the regular, but I figured if I get multiple knives, it might be nice to have at least one bigger one.

#3- Spyderco Tenacious: Seems to be the benchmark for cheap EDCs. I wasn't a huge fan of spyderco's designs, but the more I look at it, the more I start to like this one. This knife with it's full flat grind seems to be able to be very helpful around the house and even in the kitchen. It's not the best steel, but I do like the grip and again, can be a bit of a beater. I'd like a delica or endura, but compromises have to be made and I chose the Griptilian as sort of my "champion knife". This Tenacious would be a secondary knife, but primarily something I'd edc.

#4 - Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite: I love this little thing. In a completely different league than all the other ones, so maybe I shouldn't even count it as an EDC knife. Maybe more of a toolbox knife. It's a great knife for wood carving / whittling, but also cutting carpet. I'd really like to put my hands on some nice pieces of wood to start carving with this.

Knives that *just* didn't make the cut (no pun):
Cold Steel Code 4: maybe the most durable lock, fantastic looking, big, slim, but the Griptilian outranks it a bit, and I just can't afford two bigger and more expensive knives.
Kershaw Cryo G10: while I love the flipper and looks of this, it looks a bit presumptuous with a weaker steel and titanium-ish handle (on the none-G10 side). I might still get this one eventually, but not in the first pick.

So... I plan to actually buy all 4. Maybe not at the same time, especially because knivesandtools doesn't carry the Mini Tuff, but I think these would nicely fit into the edc rotation or trips in the field.

Any comments or suggestions on this?

You will grow to like the Eden Quality 106-BW/SanRenMU7010LUQ-SW very much, the coated models take a while to break in the détente ball track on the tang but become smooth after a few openings and closings.

You could try Cold Steel UK for the Mini Tuff Lite, they sell them in green, pink, orange or black.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I found a mini tuff lite on ebay, shipped from the US for $30. Normally that's under the amount where customs comes into account, but even with 21% VAT and customs added to it, that's still lower than the amount it goes for here in the Netherlands. They're not in stock in my regular stores and the stores that do carry them are quite unknown, so I might as well try my hand at ebay for that one.
Some doubt crept in today about the griptilian, but Benchmade's torture test video with the guy shaving his arm after repeatedly pounding the knife into some wood with a hammer reassured me that this knife is something fun to have. The Axis lock also seems to be the easiest and safest one to close one-handed, which is something that many seem to overlook.
Still haven't ordered, but I'll post some pictures when I have them.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I don't see it mentioned - ESEE Zancudo.

It's a titanium framelock, with great steel, and looks great stonewashed with your choice of G10 color. $30 on Amazon, with the features, fit and finish of some $300 knives. Also, not a cheap and blatant ripoff of a more expensive knife - the money goes to someone who deserves it.

Peace Train

Enlightened
Some doubt crept in today about the griptilian, but Benchmade's torture test video with the guy shaving his arm after repeatedly pounding the knife into some wood with a hammer reassured me that this knife is something fun to have. The Axis lock also seems to be the easiest and safest one to close one-handed, which is something that many seem to overlook.
Still haven't ordered, but I'll post some pictures when I have them.

Never used one, but always liked the griptilian. It's solid and fits well in the hand. Comfortable.

gsr

Enlightened
I heartily recommend the Benchmade 530 and 531. Both are slim, light weight, have a very good pocket clip that can be mounted on either side, and have the wonderful AXIS lock system.

Peace Train

Enlightened
I don't see it mentioned - ESEE Zancudo.

It's a titanium framelock, with great steel, and looks great stonewashed with your choice of G10 color. $30 on Amazon, with the features, fit and finish of some $300 knives. Also, not a cheap and blatant ripoff of a more expensive knife - the money goes to someone who deserves it.

What's the difference between this and the Ontario Rat's (I & II)? I was looking on amazon just now and see the Rats are cheaper with higher ratings. Been looking for a hiking folder. For the money, I may have to pick one up to see what the fuss is about.

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
If you only plan to carry it clipped inside your pocket, I would take a long hard look before I bought a knife with any kind of aggressive texture on the "show" side of the handle (the side opposite the clip). What feels good and secure in the hand, probably won't, rubbing against the back of your hand while fishing for a chapstick or doing the "through the pocket ninja ball scratch". For my part I either prefer a completely smooth or the standard G10 that Spyderco uses scale. You mentioned Kershaw, and for my money it would be a Sky Line, thin, light, back of the hand friendly, decent steel and pretty reasonably priced. As far as blade steels, pretty much any knife in the price range you mentioned will be fine. I sharpen/repair knifes and scissors as a side job, while I have a personal preference for a particular steel, in the grand scheme of things modern blade steels are so good now a days that in most cases the differences will be hard to detect or really won't matter in most EDC situations. More important, is keeping it sharp and maintaining the edge, probably more people hurt themselves with a dull knife then a sharp one. In all fairness it took a few years and a lot of knifes before I finally found one that I am perfectly happy and content to EDC. In situations where a a knife may be socially awkward, I just carry it unclipped and with a good stiff lanyard about three inches long. If you tie a stiff lanyard to it (Google "crown sinnet") directly and tight to the lanyard hole, it will still be easy to retrieve and less likely to fall down to the bottom of you pocket and poke you in the junk.
Blade HQ has a sprint run addition of the Sky Line (I think they are the only ones with it) that has carbon fiber scales and a S30V blade. It's sexy as hell and in my opinion, a fantastically comfortable EDC, light and unobtrusive enough that you will forget it's even there while also being classy. The standard Sky Line is awesome, but this one just turns it up to "11".
My Primary EDC is a CR Sebenza, but in certain situations (shorts and no belt to prevent "plumbers crack") the Sky Line is my goto knife.

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a full size Grip and really like it. However, a) it's on the large size for pulling it out in 'mixed company' and b) I hate to say it, it does feel a little cheap due to the plastic scales. I've thought of having some micarta or G10 scales made for it to class it up a bit but just haven't got around to it. The Axis lock is great though once broken in, and in my mind is much safer for one handed closing than a liner lock.

If you're a dressier type I really like the Wilson Combat ELC in cocobolo, but that *is* a liner lock. If you have small hands or just are worried about being the guy with the scary knife, a mini grip might be better. I prefer plain steel drop point blades to avoid the appearance of being too 'tacticool.'. I do have an Emerson CQC-7 but almost never carry it because of the black Tanto blade even though it appears to be much stronger than the Grip.

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a full size Grip and really like it. However, a) it's on the large size for pulling it out in 'mixed company' and b) I hate to say it, it does feel a little cheap due to the plastic scales. I've thought of having some micarta or G10 scales made for it to class it up a bit but just haven't got around to it. The Axis lock is great though once broken in, and in my mind is much safer for one handed closing than a liner lock.

If you're a dressier type I really like the Wilson Combat ELC in cocobolo, but that *is* a liner lock. If you have small hands or just are worried about being the guy with the scary knife, a mini grip might be better. I prefer plain steel drop point blades to avoid the appearance of being too 'tacticool.'. I do have an Emerson CQC-7 but almost never carry it because of the black Tanto blade even though it appears to be much stronger than the Grip.

I love the CQC-7, it's unfortunate that the blade shape and grind never really caught on. I think a lot of people (my self included) just can't wrap their heads around it, and it will always seem slightly weird. In practice the shape/grind offers a very strong and practical blade shape that is really easy to sharpen and maintain. The single sided edge and steep profile of the edge is a breeze for most people to free hand sharpen with out much practice or effort. I have owned a CQC-7 in various iterations since it was "the" tactical knife to carry and the blade shape/edge has still never grown on me or seemed less wrong. Just goes to show, even though I know better it still comes down to personal aesthetic preference as it does actual performance.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Ah, this topic went live again ^^ Thanks for the last few replies!

A little update then:
My store's (knivesandtools.nl) was having a special on a lot of knives. While that was running out, I turned everything around and ordered a kershaw cryo G10 (because the grip / mini grip wasn't on sale). I also started doubting the Grip's feeling after reading a lot of mentions of a hollow sound and cheap feeling. The mini grip would have a better feeling, but I didn't know how to judge the size difference. Hence the complete 180 at the moment of ordering.
The Cryo G10 is a little on the heavy side for a small knife, but not too extreme. The feel of the G10 side is great, nice deep carry pocket clip makes the knife all but disappear in my jeans pocket, and the clip feels perfectly spaced for jeans pockets. Opening the knife with the flipper is great, although maybe a bit too aggressive. Opening it with the thumbstuds is simply impossible and one-handed dislodging the framelock is very, very hard. In both size and looks, it pairs amazingly well with my Eagletac D25A clickies. Finally a reason to carry the aluminum one over the titanium models.

However, I'm glad I got this knife. It was the type of model that initially pulled me in, and now that I've been playing with it for a bit, I know the size is right for edc. As for the Benchmade, I might pick that up on the next order or get a Mini Ritter in M390 if the overseas shipping works out.

Giving myself some time with a cheaper knife to figure out what I want from a more expensive one. I also have some chinese knives shipped and coming my way (Sanrenmu 710, 730 and a Ganzo G704). Apart from the 710, they might not be very edc-able, but I do like my day trips to the dunes where something like a G704 as a beater might be nice. Dunes means salt spray and sand, two things I wouldn't wish upon my $100+ knives.

On a completely different note, I might also get back to the basics and get an Opinel 7 or 8 in one of their fancy woods (can't decide between Olive, Bubinga and Walnut) when I visit france in a few weeks.

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the CQC-7, it's unfortunate that the blade shape and grind never really caught on. I think a lot of people (my self included) just can't wrap their heads around it, and it will always seem slightly weird. In practice the shape/grind offers a very strong and practical blade shape that is really easy to sharpen and maintain. The single sided edge and steep profile of the edge is a breeze for most people to free hand sharpen with out much practice or effort. I have owned a CQC-7 in various iterations since it was "the" tactical knife to carry and the blade shape/edge has still never grown on me or seemed less wrong. Just goes to show, even though I know better it still comes down to personal aesthetic preference as it does actual performance.

Not so much *my* aesthetic preferences as those around me. Even a full sized Grip will get you a sideways look in "polite" company, when you whip out a CQC to open an envelope or something you get that "oh, look at Rambo over here" look - EVEN THOUGH THE CQC IS JUST A BETTER KNIFE (except I do like the Axis lock.) The scales of the CQV will tear up your pocket though, but despite looking fairly stark and poorly designed (the scales are simple dimensional pieces of G10 with a checkerboard pattern) it fits the hand almost as well as a Griptilian, actually fits in the pocket better, and if you look at the amount of "meat" in the liners and blade around the pivot, is quite likely much stronger at least in ways that matter in normal use, unless you do something stupid like try to force it closed and bend the liner lock or something. But, unfortunately, that same stark utilitarian look combined with a black blade and a clearly "tactical" blade shape sends the wrong message... at that point I might as well be open carrying a 1911. (which I am legally allowed to do, at least in my state of residence, but that's another discussion altogether.)

It is a sad commentary on our society when people look concerned when they see a grown man wearing "business casual" clothes pull out a normal sized pocketknife to open a letter, cut a string, etc. but that is the world that we live in today.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, this topic went live again ^^ Thanks for the last few replies!

A little update then:
My store's (knivesandtools.nl) was having a special on a lot of knives. While that was running out, I turned everything around and ordered a kershaw cryo G10 (because the grip / mini grip wasn't on sale). I also started doubting the Grip's feeling after reading a lot of mentions of a hollow sound and cheap feeling. The mini grip would have a better feeling, but I didn't know how to judge the size difference. Hence the complete 180 at the moment of ordering.
The Cryo G10 is a little on the heavy side for a small knife, but not too extreme. The feel of the G10 side is great, nice deep carry pocket clip makes the knife all but disappear in my jeans pocket, and the clip feels perfectly spaced for jeans pockets. Opening the knife with the flipper is great, although maybe a bit too aggressive. Opening it with the thumbstuds is simply impossible and one-handed dislodging the framelock is very, very hard. In both size and looks, it pairs amazingly well with my Eagletac D25A clickies. Finally a reason to carry the aluminum one over the titanium models.

However, I'm glad I got this knife. It was the type of model that initially pulled me in, and now that I've been playing with it for a bit, I know the size is right for edc. As for the Benchmade, I might pick that up on the next order or get a Mini Ritter in M390 if the overseas shipping works out.

Giving myself some time with a cheaper knife to figure out what I want from a more expensive one. I also have some chinese knives shipped and coming my way (Sanrenmu 710, 730 and a Ganzo G704). Apart from the 710, they might not be very edc-able, but I do like my day trips to the dunes where something like a G704 as a beater might be nice. Dunes means salt spray and sand, two things I wouldn't wish upon my $100+ knives.

On a completely different note, I might also get back to the basics and get an Opinel 7 or 8 in one of their fancy woods (can't decide between Olive, Bubinga and Walnut) when I visit france in a few weeks.

Looks like a good choice. The scales on that look very similar to the ones on a CQC which are my favorites out of all the knives I have, close second being a Kershaw Crown which is a cheap imported "gentleman's folder" that I bought primarily to try the micarta scales (and found that I really like them.) At the time I could get it for about $10 shipped, so if you think you'd like a "dress knife" and don't want to spend a lot of money it's actually a good option.

Since you already have a knife with G10 scales I'm thinking if you do get a Benchmade you might want to go more "upscale" than a Griptilian to avoid disappointment. The Grip is great, but the feel of the scales is not "upscale" if you will excuse the pun. I EDC mine just because the liner lock is so nice that it offsets the feel of the scales (and functionally there isn't anything wrong with them, really.) Over here REI (an outdoor/camping store) had a special edition Griptilian with green G10 scales; sometimes I kind of regret not getting that instead of the regular Grip but it would have been 2x the price...

I'm assuming you've found bladeforums yet? If not, welcome to a new addiction.

Regarding the comments re: being hard to open, keep working it. If it doesn't loosen up, disassemble it completely, clean it up, and put a few small drops of 3-in-1 on the pivot washers. I've done that to both my Grip and CQC and they both open like butter.

In an odd synchronicity, I just ordered a D25C Ti 219 clicky, so we must have similar taste in gear :)

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
Not so much *my* aesthetic preferences as those around me. Even a full sized Grip will get you a sideways look in "polite" company, when you whip out a CQC to open an envelope or something you get that "oh, look at Rambo over here" look - EVEN THOUGH THE CQC IS JUST A BETTER KNIFE (except I do like the Axis lock.) The scales of the CQV will tear up your pocket though, but despite looking fairly stark and poorly designed (the scales are simple dimensional pieces of G10 with a checkerboard pattern) it fits the hand almost as well as a Griptilian, actually fits in the pocket better, and if you look at the amount of "meat" in the liners and blade around the pivot, is quite likely much stronger at least in ways that matter in normal use, unless you do something stupid like try to force it closed and bend the liner lock or something. But, unfortunately, that same stark utilitarian look combined with a black blade and a clearly "tactical" blade shape sends the wrong message... at that point I might as well be open carrying a 1911. (which I am legally allowed to do, at least in my state of residence, but that's another discussion altogether.)

It is a sad commentary on our society when people look concerned when they see a grown man wearing "business casual" clothes pull out a normal sized pocketknife to open a letter, cut a string, etc. but that is the world that we live in today.

I know what you mean, I can't imagine my father or grandfather not having a pocket knife and pulling it out and using it when needed. I don't subscribe much to the "polite society". I have been in the Millitary for the last 17 years and it always strikes my as odd when out and about, I see someone trying to open a package with a car key or something instead of a pocket knife. If I have a knife with really aggressive scales and I want to EDC it, I put a piece of clear vinyl on both scales, it protects my pocket and the back of my hand. I think I got it at a staples or something, it's the kind that sticks without leaving a residue.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Since you already have a knife with G10 scales I'm thinking if you do get a Benchmade you might want to go more "upscale" than a Griptilian to avoid disappointment. The Grip is great, but the feel of the scales is not "upscale" if you will excuse the pun. I EDC mine just because the liner lock is so nice that it offsets the feel of the scales (and functionally there isn't anything wrong with them, really.) Over here REI (an outdoor/camping store) had a special edition Griptilian with green G10 scales; sometimes I kind of regret not getting that instead of the regular Grip but it would have been 2x the price...

I'm assuming you've found bladeforums yet? If not, welcome to a new addiction.

Regarding the comments re: being hard to open, keep working it. If it doesn't loosen up, disassemble it completely, clean it up, and put a few small drops of 3-in-1 on the pivot washers. I've done that to both my Grip and CQC and they both open like butter.

In an odd synchronicity, I just ordered a D25C Ti 219 clicky, so we must have similar taste in gear :)

I did find bladeforums, but if anything, the amount and price of knives with various sprint specials running for all brands I find there is depressing. The Netherlands seems to have a very limited market for knives...
However, you're right about the benchmade. I'd LOVE an emissary. Size and handle looks great, but I can't figure out why they ever decided Axis-Assist was a good idea. The same counts for many premium benchmade models. The Axis lock would be the last type of lock I'd ever put assisted opening on... Totally ruins the whole idea of fast and simple one handed opening and closing. Still, perhaps it's possible to de-assist, haven't really looked far in to that. I also found a guy / company that make various custom scales for benchmade grips (both small and mini). A mini Doug Ritter with M390 blade and titanium scales would be very nice, but I'm getting carried away here ^^

And yes, I also carry the D25C Ti with Nichia 219 at times. Lovely little thing and clips perfectly in the inside pocket of my winter coat for those dark mornings that are soon to be here again ^^

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
TweakMDS, If you're in Europe then have you tried Cuscadi for scales, not cheap but a load of scales for various knives and a lot for Grips and MiniGrips, excellent quality.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I know you said you don't like the shape of Spydercos but I'll still recommend the Spyderco Tenacious. It's 30-35 dollars and now you can get it black coated. I think they had a limited edition green handle for a while.

I have had mine for years now and it's an amazing knife for the money. Such a good "user" knife. I saw a test on youtube from a guy and it was slicing/cutting better than some 300 dollar custom knives. If you maintain the factory edge properly the cutting performance on it is insane and can be dangerous so watch out. Super sharp like no other.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I somewhat changed my mind on the Spydercos, the more I look at them, the better they start to look. However, I have 4 knives now and giving myself some time to use the ones I have before I look on. Spyderco Delica and Paramilitary 2 also look good. I'm very tempted in the better steels and handling, but not a clue on how much I actually need it ^^
Maybe there's a Para2 or Delica with Cuscadi scales in my future, but I'm trying my best not to go overboard :D

For now, I own (and use!) these:
- Kershaw Cryo G10: love the flipper, g10 is awesome, thumbstud opening is useless but all in all a good knife.
- Ganzo G704: amazing knife for the price, axis-like lock, decent steel and well put together. I put it in my toolbox and it's my destroyer of everything now.
- Sanrenmu 710: even better than the cryo to edc, very subtle little knife.
- Opinel 8 Carbon: childhood memories, I forgot all about it, but I have a 20 year old through-and-through scar right in the middle of my left thumb to remind me of why I love and hated this knife.

Last edited:

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
I somewhat changed my mind on the Spydercos, the more I look at them, the better they start to look. However, I have 4 knives now and giving myself some time to use the ones I have before I look on. Spyderco Delica and Paramilitary 2 also look good. I'm very tempted in the better steels and handling, but not a clue on how much I actually need it ^^
Maybe there's a Para2 or Delica with Cuscadi scales in my future, but I'm trying my best not to go overboard :D

For now, I own (and use!) these:
- Kershaw Cryo G10: love the flipper, g10 is awesome, thumbstud opening is useless but all in all a good knife.
- Ganzo G704: amazing knife for the price, axis-like lock, decent steel and well put together. I put it in my toolbox and it's my destroyer of everything now.
- Sanrenmu 710: even better than the cryo to edc, very subtle little knife.
- Opinel 8 Carbon: childhood memories, I forgot all about it, but I have a 20 year old through-and-through scar right in the middle of my left thumb to remind me of why I love and hated this knife.

I have several SanRenMu 710/7010 knives they are great knives. About the same size as the 710 have a look at the SanRenMu 7063AUC-xx and 7063LUC-xx the Auc are Axis lock and the Luc Liner lock the xx indicates the different colours that they both come in, I've got a pair of them ending in LI for the blue anodised scales.
srm7063auc_li_zps13664c60.jpg

srm7063lucli1_zpsf86b0f3e.jpg

Both are good knives, the Axis lock on the 763/7063 series is one of the best China made examples, none of mine have needed anything but a few openings and closings to break them in and the spring tension on the lock is about right.
I have a few Opinels very good knives and scary sharp edges can be gotten with little effort, the 8 and 9 are just my size, gloved and un-gloved.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Thanks steve, I actually had a 763 in mind but I think it was sold out when I ordered. The Ganzo is great though. Very smooth and you can open it just py pulling the lock and giving it a wrist shake.
If I order from fasttech again I'll look for a 7063, I found them recommended before.

I also ordered a 7030 which is very similar to the 7010, with just a different shape handle and blade, but gifted that.

Peace Train

Enlightened
Spyderco Delica and Paramilitary 2 also look good. I'm very tempted in the better steels and handling, but not a clue on how much I actually need it ^^

Glad you're enjoying your new knives TweakMDS, and thanks for the update. I've been torn between the Delica 4 ZDP-189 and the ZT 0770CF Elmax for use as a lightweight hiker. Then yesterday I came across some limited editions I'd been considering previously, and suddenly "lightweight" gets thrown out the window and I'm back in the $400-500 range...and more.

The practicality is that I don't need a knife for hiking or backpacking when a multi-tool or Swiss Army knife is, and has always been, infinitely more useful. But there's something about the allure of new steel, and it can be "fun" to convince myself of a "need" for anything.

Get the scales. You'll be happy you did! :twothumbs