• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Candidates for White1 & White2 (W1 &W2)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think Vinh is using any boost/buck driver that can drive the LED at a steady 6amps. IIRC he direct drives the emitters and controls the juice via resistors and/or other means. I could be wrong though.

But yes on paper the White Flat should outthrow the Black Flat because of slightly higher output.

SKV89

Enlightened
Someone on BLF put a White Flat in a Convoy L2 and got 640kcd without even having to center the LED. Got kind of lucky I guess but that is super impressive considering the head diameter is only 64.5mm, which is even smaller than the T21.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got 900 lumens out of it with the BLF A6 driver. Impressive! I love the L2 host as well, very meaty and heatsinks well. Now I'm most interested in the white flat with the TN40.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone on BLF put a White Flat in a Convoy L2 and got 640kcd without even having to center the LED. Got kind of lucky I guess but that is super impressive considering the head diameter is only 64.5mm, which is even smaller than the T21.

I find that hard to believe. We need to get vinh to test the white1 so that we have the same relative numbers. That blf guys numbers can be 640kcd but it can be only 450kcd with the exact same light with vinhs numbers.

The deltavn has the same size size head as the convoy l2 and the deltavn with black flat has 465kcd. That’s pretty crazy if that guy is really getting 640kcd. Only real way to test is to have vinh put a white1 into the deltavn and see if it pushes past 465kcd that the flat black does.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
640kcd out of the L2 sounds very plausible if the White Flat is being pushed to 900 lumens (remember it theoretically can output 960). The Black Flat's max is around 800, and it's usually around 750 in Vinh's lights (sometimes less if the lights don't push the emitter as hard). The extra 150 or more lumens can possibly make up for the slightly smaller reflector of the L2 vs the T21.

Also, unless he changed his process, Vinh calculates his intensity numbers with his luxmeter at 10 meters, which is pretty short for lights that throw a long distance. The BLF member might have measured at 20m or more.

Either way it sounds like Vinh is content with just using the Black Flat for single emitter throwers, while the White Flat will be used for multi-emitter throwers. The real monster to look forward to is a year or so down the line, in the Osram Oslon Boost HX, which will have a die size close to 2mm squared, but have output exceeding 2000 lumens.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I just realized that D4Svn White1 out-outthrows L16vn and has about twice the output!!
1700L VS 3000L
115Kcd VS 125Kcd

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Candidates for Oslon White

Look at how tight the hot spot is!!! Beam looks almost like a reflector beam.

I remember how much I liked the original (XPL PDT) SD26vn. It was around 1,800 lumens - 80kcd. Now this^^ 3,000 lumens - 125kcd in a smaller light. Impressive. Only draw back for me is losing the beautiful defined hot spot from the single emitter. But hey, who's complaining.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I remember how much I liked the original (XPL PDT) SD26vn. It was around 1,800 lumens - 80kcd. Now this^^ 3,000 lumens - 125kcd in a smaller light. Impressive. Only draw back for me is losing the beautiful defined hot spot from the single emitter. But hey, who's complaining.

There is something satisfying about looking at a super define hot spot although softer tapering hot spot to corona is more practical.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like the beam profile on the D4S, because it's a pretty large corona around the hotspot, reminds me very much of a large op reflector.

Something like the ROT66 or MT18, where you get a huge hotspot with very little corona would be impressive, if it can retain that style of beam with the White Flat.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I don't like the beam profile on the D4S, because it's a pretty large corona around the hotspot, reminds me very much of a large op reflector.

Something like the ROT66 or MT18, where you get a huge hotspot with very little corona would be impressive, if it can retain that style of beam with the White Flat.

I too LOVE HUGE hot spot with nothing else.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love a big round defined hot spot so much it'll probably pass up women on my list in a few more years.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast

Look at how tight the hot spot is!!! Beam looks almost like a reflector beam.
What would be most helpful is this D4Svn shot with L16vn or EC60vn, both with XHP35-HI.
The EC60 is about the same size light. The comparative shots would show the differences in the hot spot size and Corona characteristics.
One of these Oslon Whites will probably be my next light!

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast

when will we start seeing some these new leds for sale in your lights?
Some are on Skylumen now! EC65vn, TOOLvn. The only ones with specs that I've seen are the D4Svn & TOOLvn. I'm sure Vinh is scrambling to test this out in more hosts.

I'm very interested in the EC65vn but I'm not sure the same optics as the D4Svn will fit the smaller head of the EC65vn.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

In 2-3 weeks if the shipping is the same from the first time.

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened

Some are on Skylumen now! EC65vn, TOOLvn. The only ones with specs that I've seen are the D4Svn & TOOLvn. I'm sure Vinh is scrambling to test this out in more hosts.

I'm very interested in the EC65vn but I'm not sure the same optics as the D4Svn will fit the smaller head of the EC65vn.
Awesome, good to know. I need (want in reality) a new compact thrower :D