• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Candidates for White1 & White2 (W1 &W2)

Why would triples out throw quads?

This is all speculation from me since I'm newish, but given the geometrical restraints of head size (equal/constant) and shape (circular), if you cram 4 LEDs into the same size head as 3, you require smaller reflectors, and there is more empty space in the center of 4 circles than 3 circles which fit more snugly together with less center space wasted. Thus, 3 should provide a tighter hotspot.

I could be way off.

Brandon

Agpp

Enlightened
This is all speculation from me since I'm newish, but given the geometrical restraints of head size (equal/constant) and shape (circular), if you cram 4 LEDs into the same size head as 3, you require smaller reflectors, and there is more empty space in the center of 4 circles than 3 circles which fit more snugly together with less center space wasted. Thus, 3 should provide a tighter hotspot.

I could be way off.

Brandon

You are somewhat off.
Very roughly, beam intensity = frontal area of reflector * LED surface luminosity * constant.
Assuming constant surface luminosity, area is what matters, like you said.
You can fill a large circle with 4 smaller ones better than with 3 because 3 lose a lot more around the edges.
Optics are not always circles though. By using siamesed optics you eliminate the central hole and reduce the losses around the edges. This is better for quads.
Designer can further increase area by making the small circles too large to fit the big one and trimming what wouldn't fit. F.e. http://www.khatod.com/en/product-14...x=35&TyopPrg=1&SimuPrg=2&lang=EN&AserPrg=1056 It's rare as it reduces efficiency. I don't know if it's better for triples or for quads.
With most optics the area right in front of the LED is not collimated, at least not well. This is better for triples than for quads as they have only 3 cutouts.
Adding all of that, given constant surface luminosity and the same technology, what throws better? It depends on how large are LEDs in relation to the total optics size as well as several other parameters.
It also depends on type of optics (TIR or reflector) and their quality.
And finally - surface luminosity is not constant. It's easier to drive triples to the max, but it's also easier to drive them past the max.

Thanks for clarifying, I tried haha. Figured I was a bit lacking lol. That's the great thing about this forum... someone out there always knows the answer :)

Looking forward to some crazy pocket throwers Vinh!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
D4vn XPL HI 6500K 3700L, 27Kcd
D4vn XPG2 PDT 2300L, 40Kcd
D4vn W1 2200L, 55Kcd (LG3500mAh Only!)

D4vn + +W1 + VTC5A = 2500 Lumen and 62Kcd (EXCESSIVE HEAT NOT RECOMMENDED)

Agpp

Enlightened
To me the D4Vn result looks good. I wonder what would be the performance with a shorty tube and Aspire 18350. I seriously doubt that any light of the same volume would outthrow it.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose the MT18 would be the real test, but damn that's a lot of white1s per light-- sounds expensive.

Last edited:

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Yay. Getting excited for my D4vn! Seems like it has good throw for such a small light. Maybe comparable to the D1 but with smaller head?

SKV89

Enlightened

D4vn + +W1 + VTC5A = 2500 Lumen and 62Kcd (EXCESSIVE HEAT NOT RECOMMENDED)

Vinh, would you say the W1 in the EC65vn will have the same performance since they use the same carclo optic but with less heat due to larger size?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, would you say the W1 in the EC65vn will have the same performance since they use the same carclo optic but with less heat due to larger size?

EC65vn should kick *** as current is better regulated. Hang tight I am trying it in all the lights.

SKV89

Enlightened
I'm anxious to compare EC65vn with D4Svn with white flats!

My guess is the EC65vn should have the same output and throw as the D4vn since they have about the same current and use the same carclo quad optic. Only with better current regulation and more mass and surface area to handle heat better. D4Svn with the bigger optic will out throw it by a good amount for sure. But anxious to see what Vinh test it to be.