Compact EDC recommendations please

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Current EDC is a Fenix PD20, I've had 2 of them and they're great. I see newer lights (e.g., Olight S1r) go up to around 900 lumens with same or comparable battery.
I want to stay with the same size light, around 3 inches in length, with CR123A or similar batteries, but now am craving more 'bang'. 500 lumen sustained output would be great. Also, without surrendering a fortune :) Any suggestions appreciated!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a sustained 500 lumens from a 1x16340 Li-ion flashlight is virtually impossible. It is even harder with 1xCR123A, due the 1.5-amp maximum continuous discharge rate of that battery.

The Olight S1R Baton flashlight can only produce its 900-lumen turbo for a short minute or two.

You will have better luck with 1x18350. I have the Astrolux S1 flashlight. It comes with two body tubes, one for 18650, and the other for 18350. Using the short tube with a KeepPower IMR 18350, it will get around 900 lumens, but then step down after 45 seconds. It has seven different modes. Mode 5 (i.e., High 1) is somewhere near 400 lumens. I am not sure how long it will run, but runtimes are decent.

The Convoy S2+ flashlight has an optional 18350 body tube that can be purchased separately. The S2+ has a variety of driver options. You get your choice of 3, 4, 6 or 8 of the 7135 driver chips. With 3 or 4 chips, battery life on 18350 is supposed to be pretty good. I can't say from personal experience, however, because I do not own one.

The ZebraLight SC63w is a compact 18560 flashlight. It can easily sustain 500 lumens, and is not much larger that the 18350 models discussed above.

My next purchase will likely be the ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus. It is slightly larger than the SC62w, but offers high CRI at 93-95 (Ra), and neutral tint at 5000K.

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! KeepingItLight, I am seeing that the rechargeables offer higher intensity, but much lower runtimes than CR123A when used in the same lights. Is this always going to be the case? I like that the lights will run on either battery but I guess I want it all - high turbo brightness and long runtime at lower settings. Am I asking too much here??

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! KeepingItLight, I am seeing that the rechargeables offer higher intensity, but much lower runtimes than CR123A when used in the same lights. Is this always going to be the case? I like that the lights will run on either battery but I guess I want it all - high turbo brightness and long runtime at lower settings. Am I asking too much here??
For the currently available cells, yes. When you are talking about 1k lumens or better, you are asking for at least a one to two amp draw at a minimum. Primary cells just can't produce that kind of output for any length of time, if at all. Rechargeables can, but for a much shorter time before needing to be recharged.

While I personally don't see a need for that much sustained output in an EDC, you haven't told us your needs for such, so we can't really judge. I EDC an EA11 with a 14500 IMR cell, which is more than adequate for me. I have the high output if I need it for a few minutes, and several lower outputs that I find more usable in an EDC. If I foresee a need for higher power for a sustained length of time, I have an EA41 and/or a TM16GT to bring along. While definitely not pocketable, they are not that obtrusive in a belt holster. But, as always, YMMV.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! KeepingItLight, I am seeing that the rechargeables offer higher intensity, but much lower runtimes than CR123A when used in the same lights. Is this always going to be the case?

<snip>

Timothybil nailed this.

The capacities of these batteries are often given in mAh (milliampere-hours). That's okay when you are comparing similar chemistries. To compare different chemistries, such as rechargeable Li-ion IMR and CR123A, you need to switch to Wh (watt-hours). If you hunt around, you can find Wh ratings for these two kinds of batteries. CR123A has a significantly higher capacity, but Li-ion IMR has a much higher maximum current rating.

CR123A is rated for a maximum continuous discharge rate of 1.5 amps. If a flashlight stays within that limit, the most you can expect is somewhere around 350 lumens. If it exceeds that limit, as the Olight S1 does, output cannot be sustained for long.

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
Great info, thanks! What I've noticed is the rechargeables have a much lower runtimes at lower power (e.g., high, medium and ultra low). Using CR123A I've seen 100 hour runtimes at 6 lumen or so, but the rechargeables only get say 50 at the same output.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Peak offers the el captain ultra x which runs on one 14500 and puts out 650+ lumens, they also sell one that uses AAA size Li-ion and puts out ~425 lumens.

archimedes

Flashaholic
It might help us to help you, if you could clarify what is your exact need for 500+ lumens sustained output in a "pocket flashlight" .... Do you need massive flood ? Huge throw ? For how many minutes ? What purpose(s) ? What is your budget ? Where can you compromise ?

The heatsinking alone needed for that kind of output, for more than just momentary use, is difficult to achieve in a truly compact torch.

Last edited:

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
It might help us to help you, if you could clarify what is your exact need for 500+ lumens sustained output in a "pocket flashlight" .... Do you need massive flood ? Huge throw ? For how many minutes ? What purpose(s) ? What is your budget ? Where can you compromise ?

The heatsinking alone needed for that kind of output, for more than just momentary use, is difficult to achieve in a truly compact torch.

I always carry a small light, for me the smaller the better. General purpose: walking at night, checking the yard, and annually to hunting camp. Most lights that are big "around the house" get pretty small in the deep dark woods. I like to have a light that I'm familiar with and can carry in any pocket without adding bulk. I see that the majority of the compact lights are using 16340 or CR123A batteries, and well.. if one light gets 200 lumens and another similar gets 900 - you know.
So I'm looking to upgrade (current EDC is a Fenix PD20, max 180 lumen) drooling over 900 lumens at this size. I love the thought of a little light cannon, not for extended use per se, but for the capability of throwing tons of light if needed. Or if a fun opportunity presents itself. Most use will be in the "medium to high" range, so I also want to maximize runtime for those settings. It seems like many of the big throwers sacrifice runtime at the lower end for max capability.

I'm narrowing down my search, current frontrunners are:
Fenix RC09
Nitecore EC11
Olight S1R
Jetbeam EC-R16

I've only owned Fenix lights (have several, of different sizes/capabilities), so excited about acquiring a new toy...er, tool!
Does anyone have experience with the models above, and can offer a comparison of relative brightness, UI, etc? Any help is appreciated, thanks all!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll throw my stalwarts into the mix and offer the EagleTac 2015/2014 D25C Ti. clickies and my Sunwayman V11R. Both are true lipstick sized lights with 400+ lumens, good mode spacing, memory and two groups for the ET and variable output from 1-~500LM for the SWM.

I use AW IMR 16340s in both and have never needed more than 20 minutes of runtime on their high modes.

Chris

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'll throw my stalwarts into the mix and offer the EagleTac 2015/2014 D25C Ti. clickies and my Sunwayman V11R. Both are true lipstick sized lights with 400+ lumens, good mode spacing, memory and two groups for the ET and variable output from 1-~500LM for the SWM.

I use AW IMR 16340s in both and have never needed more than 20 minutes of runtime on their high modes.

Chris
+1 on the Eagletac D25c Ti,
or for about the same size, but thinner, the D25A Ti and run it on 14500 LiIon.

Regarding the overall picture, I think you need two lights.
One an EDC, and a larger one for when you go off into the woods.
When going into the woods you should have at least two lights anyway.

Regarding giving up some long run times on LiIon vs lithium primaries.
In the real world, what does it matter? With primaries, most of the time you'll be running around with partially depleted cells, and with rechargeables, you'll top them off after a small amount of use. Secondly, to need the difference between 50 and 100 hours of moonlight in an unplanned excursion is a one in a hundred million, once in a lifetime chance. Like if you were stuck in a huge building collapse where it took 3 days to get to you.

If you were going caving, or mining, it would be a planned event and you would have a spare light, and spare batteries.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
If you have room in your pockets a waterproof match case can hold 1x 18650 or 2x cr123.I replace the battery in my HDS when it is half dead so I always have at least 150 hours of "medium" output that is plentey to walk around, ~5 hours of high, and weeks of moonlight.

Latest posts