Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks chaps, I'll give the Superlube a try.
P
Edit: Just taken one of the two O Rings off the tail of my MD2, and now it turns super easy - and that's with my usual Silicone Grease.
Hurrah!
P

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I accumulate drawer full of complimentary tooth brushes given during dental hygienists cleanings. Tooth brushes works well cleaning off lube internal and external threads, and for getting crud out of grooves..

Fenix Elite

Newly Enlightened
These look like the grooves are too deep.

pmi0MlA7j

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ In the case of inaccessible threads, although your parts appear very clean, if dirt gets into try silcone spray using red tube to wash out grit then compressed air (safety glasses) Afterwards, use dampening grease sparingly🤓

N/Apower

Enlightened
I have some thread lube from some time ago. 2010-2014. It is in a small, clear, unmarked snap tub lid about the diameter of quarter, and 1/2" tall. The grease is clear. I think I got it from customlights or overready or someone, but am curious what product was in it, if anyone remembers this container and who sold it, etc. Long shot, but ty!

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I have been using Nyogel 760G for probably 15 years or so. I still haven't used but maybe half of the 2-oz tube. The lot number is MX020404 if that is traceable to the manufacturer date. I guess this stuff never goes bad. I took the Molykote 55 off an Elzetta and replaced it with Nyogel 760G as soon as I received the light. The stuff Malkoff uses which is Haynes Lubri Film, I might possibly switch to. I am not sure yet. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it and...Malkoff uses it.

neutralwhite...I would never have the patience for oil and grease, besides they will bleed onto each other when using the light. I would just stick with one good grease.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using Malkoff's Haynes Lubri for some months, and its very good stuff. if malkoff is using it, that's saying something which is a good sign to me.

I have been using Nyogel 760G for probably 15 years or so. I still haven't used but maybe half of the 2-oz tube. The lot number is MX020404 if that is traceable to the manufacturer date. I guess this stuff never goes bad. I took the Molykote 55 off an Elzetta and replaced it with Nyogel 760G as soon as I received the light. The stuff Malkoff uses which is Haynes Lubri Film, I might possibly switch to. I am not sure yet. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it and...Malkoff uses it.

neutralwhite...I would never have the patience for oil and grease, besides they will bleed onto each other when using the light. I would just stick with one good grease.

Last edited:

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened
How frequently does everyone grease their threads (and O rings(?)). Doesn't it attract dust and dirt? Is this stuff inert should it come into contact with a battery?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
How frequently does everyone grease their threads (and O rings(?)). Doesn't it attract dust and dirt? Is this stuff inert should it come into contact with a battery?

I clean mine once or twice a year. I just take a clean cloth and wipe all the threads clean everywhere on the light. Some people use alcohol pads but I am not sure if they are bad for the o-rings drying them out. Then I just re apply the lube on the threads and the o-ring, and screw and unscrew the parts 2 or 3 times to disperse the lube.

No, you should remove the batteries before cleaning the lights in my opinion, you don't want lube on your cells.

KooDeRR Whistle

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else ever use chapstick? My preon 2 was dry as a bone real dirty and gritty. I wiped it off at work, took my chapstick out of my pocket, put a dap in between my fingers and put it on the clean threads and o ring. Worked like a charm, havent touched the threads or o ring since, been a couple years now.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would imagine that's a bit like Vaseline, it works just fine until it gets hot.
Been using Vaseline on one of my lights, just to see, and it worked well until last night when I did a sustained runtime test at full power. At the end I could hardly move the tailcap.
Still, Chapstick smells better.
P

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I would imagine that's a bit like Vaseline, it works just fine until it gets hot.
Been using Vaseline on one of my lights, just to see, and it worked well until last night when I did a sustained runtime test at full power. At the end I could hardly move the tailcap.
Still, Chapstick smells better.
P

May I ask what flavor you used? Perhaps cherry? LOL:crackup: