Cyber attack EMP event/attack discussion Not Political

turbodog

Flashaholic
Re: Cyber attack EMP attack discussion Not Political

It's possible to backfeed from cars into the grid. But a nefarious operator could send a full-charge @ max rate command out... cratering the grid.

CA's got unique electrical woes. In the south we are doing just fine. Got a nice nuke plant and we are good. We need widespread nuke adoption... the kind that consumes spent fuel & waste from other plants/weapons.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

What I was saying was that to replace all gas powered cars by a deadline could overtax the grid if it isn't ready for the excess load.
To the extent that states have ICE vehicle phaseouts, I gather they A) only apply to new vehicle sales, and B) are so conditioned on sales of EVs and other hurdles that their headline dates are at best aspirational.

It takes a lot of power to replace energy produced by millions of gas vehicles.
Indeed it does take non-significant energy to recharge EVs. But it's going to be a function of miles driven. Let's take the Model X - a crossover that's got a big-ish cross-sectional area so it's not the most efficient out there. Looking at its efficiency ratings, worst-case is 35kWH / 100 miles or 350 Wh/mile. Let's say you drive 60 miles a day every day. 60 x 350 = 21,000 Wh or 21 kWH. If you're running a 50A dryer outlet at 40A that's 9.6kW or ~1.56 hours, which we'll round up to 94 minutes. And hey, charging is imperfect in its efficiency so we'll assume you lose 10% so that's really 104 minutes. That's what ... a load of laundry through a dryer? Baking a casserole? Sure, sometimes you'll need a longer charge just like sometimes you run back-to-back loads of laundry.

Meanwhile my air conditioning tends to run something like a 33% cycle when the temperature is merely in the low/mid 90s - 9.6 x 8 = ~77kWH if we stick with our 40A assumption.

And I believe that pretty much every EV on the market has some form of charge timer where you can delay recharging until an optimal time - late at night because of lower rates, or in 2 hours when the dryer will be done.

A battery is not a power source, it's a load. Gasoline is a power source. Gas powered cars provide the energy to power themselves with gas.
TANSTAAFL and all that. Pretty sure we're all solid on this concept.

Electric cars put a drain on the grid every time they are plugged in. The transmission lines need a serious upgrade to handle this increased load.
As does every other appliance that's not the subject of special concern like air conditioning compressors, electric water heaters, electric ovens, electric dryers, pool pumps. Some of these run at higher duty cycles and during peak demand, while EVs tend to do the opposite. Yet strangely enough, we're not rubbing our hands with worry over these other additional loads.

Power generation needs to dramatically increase in the next decade to meet this increasing need.
I agree! Electrification of structure heating - so long as it's using heat pumps - is certain to play a major role in reducing emissions. This works - in more mild climates, natch - even when the source of the electricity is gas. And it's not like it's terribly difficult for us to build solar farms, wind farms, geothermal plants (although the latter have environmental impacts to consider and require routine re-drilling); many of which include or can be coupled with storage to smooth their power delivery.

But it's not going to specifically be electric cars that push a state or a region over the brink any more than it is HVAC, water heaters, dryers, ovens, pool pumps; it will be all of them combined with the primary culprit being the biggest consumer, likely HVAC.

Lastly specific to you, CA is on the western interconnection, thus importing power from out of state isn't an insurmountable hurdle. Unlike most of TX in February.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

What "enemy"? why do people insist on creating "enemies"? I swear some folks couldn`t live without Somebody to hate on, it`s disgusting!

Sorry, I was referring to the government of China, not the people of China. The U.S. Government and the Chinese government are in a trade war at the very least and controlling the semiconductor chips and rare earth metals is a power play by the government of China. I was attempting to keep politics out of it by not mentioning governments, but in doing so I apparently lumped all Chinese people into it. I harbor no ill will toward Chinese people, who are getting unfairly blamed, harassed, and harmed for their association of where the coronavirus came from. I never wanted to contribute to their suffering, and if what I posted in any way caused them grief, I apologize.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like the pipeline is opened back up after Colonial Pipeline paid nearly $5 million in ransom. It may take awhile to get the gas to the end consumer though. When the pipeline went down, they had their tanks nearly empty in anticipation of switching to the summer grade of gasoline. Worst timing ever for the shutdown.

markr6

Flashaholic

5 million, I'm in the wrong business. Just kidding :)

It was funny to see on Google news today - two links side by side. Boston Globe: 5 million paid in ransom to hackers (1 hour ago) || CNN: Ransom unlikely to be paid to hackers (14 hours ago)

How quickly things change.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened

This sets a very dangerous precedent, and a clear message that "Crime Pays!", others will follow now as a result.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

This sets a very dangerous precedent, and a clear message that "Crime Pays!", others will follow now as a result.

+

What is the deterrent now, nothing!
'We' say were not getting involved with private companies; at what point does it become a national security infrastructure problem & 'we' get involved.

Katherine, how does the UK handle this type of phish/ransom?

Pointing fingers doesn't solve the problem :shakehead

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened

+

Katherine, how does the UK handle this type of phish/ransom?

I`m not sure about the internet stuff and our .GOV but I know we have an absolute "never negotiate with a terrorist" policy, I`v no idea how corporate entities deal with it though, but I`m sure there would be a `D` notice issued if it was a big case and the ransom was paid because we`ve had `D` notices on much much smaller things that are merely embarassing to the .GOV or certain agents of the state.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Remember when the shipping company Maersk got obliterated a couple years ago from same thing. Their IT had to re-image something like 30-50k machines. And a copy of their domain controller was hand flown in from a country that happened to be offline, thereby avoiding encryption. These guys literally need to be beaten to within an inch of their life.

It gets _complicated_. Maersk incident utilized the eternablue exploit, discovered by US gov't. So, in order to have a cyber weapon at our disposal, we lay the foundation for taking down a shipping giant.

Good write-up of Maersk attack. Should shed some light onto the current pipeline attack.

From the article "Prevention is unlikely to be an effective strategy"

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

The government of Gary, Indiana and the Washington D.C. police department are also dealing with cyberattacks right now. Criminals have figured out that crime pays. Who knows what will be the next target? We need to find out who these people are, hunt them down, and deal with them the same as terrorists. Make an example of these criminals so that nobody dares try it in the future. Otherwise, this will continue.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like this extortion is being facilitated by payoffs with cryptocurrency, in order to be more easily laundered. Anyone here have a handle on this creation of (legal?) tender via computers?

turbodog

Flashaholic

Sounds like this extortion is being facilitated by payoffs with cryptocurrency, in order to be more easily laundered. Anyone here have a handle on this creation of (legal?) tender via computers?

I looked into deploying a small $20k setup.

You need CHEAP electricity, REAL cheap. I think you could turn a profit if you could get electricity for $.05/kwh or so (bitcoin profitability... not sure on other crypto).

At scale, you will generate TONS of heat, too much to ventilate via HVAC. You need to cool using outside air... so can't do this in hot/warm climates.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

This (mining and speculating with bitcoin variants) concept is being used by criminals that disrupt masses of humans, causing all our prices to go up to repair? And there is a post about spending $20k to create 'money' just by wasting electricity, not creating anything of value for humans other than what sounds like some kind of a malignant Ponzi scheme? What do I not understand about greed, selfishness and the consuming desire to get money for nothing and your check for free?

Seems like horrible hate would use some other cheaper method to hurt others than EMP, don't you think?

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Anyone here have a handle on this creation of (legal?) tender via computers?

Bitcoin, Monero, Ethereum, Dogecoin et al aren't legal tender at all, however some will accept them as an alternative to fiat currency.

As I understand bitcoin, it's based on a public ledger file that theoretically has all transactions ever on it. If you as the owner of 10 coins (per the documentation in the ledger) put a request in the network to send 5 coins to another party, the network collectively validates that you truly have 10 coins, that you are the owner of 10 coins, and that you transfer ownership of 5 of those coins to the other party. Miners perform the validations in this process such that it takes a significant number of random individual blocs to validate a transaction to greatly reduce the odds of successfully cheating; in exchange for this transaction-processing work, coins are randomly awarded to miners. There's also significant encryption built into this so that you can publicly announce to the network your ownership (public key) in such a fashion that you do not surrender the private key which amounts to ownership of all coins in said wallet. Exchanges operate independent of miners and allow one to cash in and cash out.

Bitcoin has some scaling issues that it's sorting out. The ledger file has become ... impractically large ... even with the network using a smaller active file, with calls on the comprehensive ledger file being uncommon. There's a way to exchange coins on a P2P basis called lightning that's fast and costs pretty much nothing, but I believe it has some drawbacks such as requiring considerable trust between the two parties since the full network won't validate those transactions until some time in the future. The "difficulty curve" for mining coins has steadily increased, which is why miners have transitioned from little USB sticks to graphics cards to FPGAs (briefly), and now are firmly in the realm of power-hungry ASICs. The trend is unsustainable, the power consumption beyond unreasonable (I did some back-of-the-napkin math using this article and linked sources to arrive at 120.35 megawatt-hours per coin), and interest in BTC as as speculative instrument will eventually end leaving until billions in sunk assets and a network operating at a fraction of its capacity; for all the upfront cost downsides that conventional transaction-processors extract they're the model of efficiency on their backend relative to bitcoin, processing transactions in seconds for just a few watt-hours.

From what I've gathered, bitcoin mining operations are nothing like conventional data centers. Time - as represented by the "difficulty" curve - is your enemy, thus they're set up as cheaply as possible since their economic lifespan is apt to be short. Old warehouses are popular - they've got adequate power that can be bought at a commercial rate, there's no need for HVAC, and industrial racking is adequate for the mining "rigs". They need to be out of the rain, secured, and some modicum of dust reduction helps. Hardware is expected to fail at a sufficient rate that you'll employ people to chase down failed rigs full-time and replace them - any that can be resuscitated is merely an added bonus. Miner duty cycle has to be fine-tuned between an acceptable failure rate and producing enough coins to justify all the other fixed costs and staying ahead of the "difficulty" curve. You'll need internet connectivity, but it doesn't have to be a big enterprise-grade pipe. All other infrastructure - power, network connectivity, creature comforts - can be rigged since the entire thing will probably have a shelf life of perhaps 18 months before you're contemplating an exit or the next project with a new generation of hardware.

I believe other cryptocurrencies have not taken the bitcoin approach of ever-escalating "difficulty" and can operate with a reasonable amount of computing power, which is why new high-end GPUs have been in short supply for years now.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic

This (mining and speculating with bitcoin variants) concept is being used by criminals that disrupt masses of humans, causing all our prices to go up to repair? And there is a post about spending $20k to create 'money' just by wasting electricity, not creating anything of value for humans other than what sounds like some kind of a malignant Ponzi scheme? What do I not understand about greed, selfishness and the consuming desire to get money for nothing and your check for free?

Seems like horrible hate would use some other cheaper method to hurt others than EMP, don't you think?

Didn't say I liked crypto, But I did sit down and do a serious profitability study on it as I have a large chunk of needed infrastructure at my disposal at no cost and some of the _cheaper_ electricity in the US. Even then, it was not profitable. 20k was the needed amount to setup enough hardware to make it worthwhile to fool with.

And concerning value... yeah bitcoin's trash in principle ... but if someone's willing to pay for it I will let them. I could just as easily make/sell birdhouses. They don't have a lot of underlying value, but people _do_ buy them.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the elaboration turbodog. Given your penchant for Vulcan-like analysis it makes more sense what you were conveying.

Thanks idleprocess as always. Guess we will always have the dark internet.

Cyber attack? Some weeks ago I ordered the new Spyderco LC200n wharncliffe blade Delica sized serrated knife. Turns out cyber criminals penetrated bladehq and someone bought stuff twice from wayfair totalling about $2600 on my credit card. The VISA people messed up and did not recognize one of the charges so now I have a $12 service fee that is not deserved. What's more, when I initially called on a weekend to stop payment of the card, the firm our credit union contracts after hours messed up and froze my debit card instead. Had to go get both new cards. We shall see how this pans out. Based on the notification email from bladehq, they knew of the breach before I was scammed but they said they needed to follow some process that delayed notifying customers until weeks later. What is that all about?

turbodog

Flashaholic

If you push it the $12 fee will probably disappear. That said... it says a lot that they levied it in the first place. Of all the fraud I've had over the years I've never had that happen. Might be time for a new card company. Amex should treat you right.

Bladehq's explanation sounds very fishy, but there's little you can do other than spread the word and not shop there. Breaches are practically a daily thing, sadly.

On a very scary note... I had a prominent company we all know, that shall remain nameless, who had their VOIP phone system compromised. I received a fishy call from them. I hung up and called back on their legit/published number. The scammers were waiting and answered the call. Came *this* close to utter disaster.

And yeah, bitcoin/related are just a ticking time bomb. Housing market took years to crash/burn... bitcoin's day is coming. Gotta put your money somewhere... but there are plenty of other/better choices.

Last edited: