Emisar D4S

markr6

Flashaholic
I measured 70uA drain while the aux leds were on the low setting. OK I guess, but I'm just using a $20 DMM so I'm not sure how useful that is.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a fantastic versatile beast of a light in a pretty small package. Learning new stuff about the user interface everyday! (400 lumen regulated by loosening tail-cap). It's not an EDC like say a Zebralight SC32 but the D4s is a great light with lots of customization and function. Great throwy wide beam, it's a flashaholics buy...

SG1

Newly Enlightened
I sold my D4s two days after receiving it even though I was really looking forward to it. Ultimately the dimensions were too big (looking at pictures sometimes doesn´t help with that) and the aux LEDs were too low on low and too high on high for my taste. Should the D4 become available with aux LEDs (maybe 4 or 8 then)..... I´d sure buy one.

Eric

I know what you mean there brother, it is a bigger and thicker light! I just can't get over how powerful and use the beam is so I force myself to carry it in my back pocket. I "ACCEPT" the pros over the cons carrying the light and now I'm good with it !:twothumbs

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
New toy in house!

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

Quick subjective impressions:
+The auxiliary cyan LEDs are pure awesome. They just faintly glow, and I would have them no other way.
+The size is very ergonomic. I already assumed it would be coming in, as I love the feel of 26650 tubes.
+The side switch is done just right— its surroundings are raised up for easy location, but the switch itself is recessed to prevent accidental activation. I hate switches that are hard to find (Catapult V6), but this one is easy and natural.
+The beam profile is nice— broad-ish hotspot with tint shift being minimal.

-The sharp edges along the lanyard hole stick out like a sore thumb. They prevent this from being the ultimate ergonomic light. Upon close look it doesn't even seem to be chamfered.
- I wouldn't say the tint is horrible, but bad—it's noticeably green. I'm not even just comparing it to my rosy ROT66 either, I'm comparing it to my SC600 MK3 high, and more importantly, my Catapult V6 neutral white, which is also 5000k. I remember my Manker E14 (also sporting 5000k 90+ CRI 219Cs) to be greenish as well, but perhaps not as bad as this one.
-Feels light/hollow. Doesn't have the same inspiring heft as my other lights.
- No stainless steel bezel. I know it's a budget light, but I'm going to put this on there anyways. When lights fall, then tend to hit themselves on their head. Even a tiny one as like on the Catapult V6 or Zebralight SC600 MK3 HI would suffice.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Finally arrived.

Initial impressions:

I intellectually knew than a 26650 was larger than an 18650, but it took a comparison in the flesh to fully realize the size difference.

The aux LEDs are neat. Not as blue in person as they tend to photograph.

The UI is more involved than the previous Emisars. This is unavoidable. Ramping setup eluded me in the few minutes I toyed with it.

Initial (indoors, lights on) impression of the beam pattern: much more reflector like than the smaller D4 optic.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
According to this, here are the default config values:

Smooth ramp floor: 1/150
Smooth ramp ceiling: 120/150
Stepped ramp floor: 20/150
Stepped ramp ceiling: 120/150
Stepped ramp steps: 7
Beacon mode timing: once every 2 seconds
Aux LED mode (off): low
Aux LED mode (lockout): blinking
Temperature limit: 45 C

I had some difficulty figuring out how to program it at first. For anyone else that's stumped, turn the light on. Pick your ramp (smooth / stepped) with three fast clicks. After that, configure your ramp with four fast clicks. It'll blink once and strobe for the Floor. If you want the lowest low and highest high as I did, click once for the lowest low. Then it'll blink twice and strobe for the Ceiling. If you want the highest ceiling, click once. If you're in stepped mode, it'll then blink three times and strobe for the number of steps. Just click it for as many steps as you want.

So if you want to program it to the defaults above, you'd click three times to pick your ramp, four times to configure said ramp, then when it blinks once and strobes, click once. When it blinks twice and strobes, click 30 times. When it blinks three times and strobes (stepped ramp only), click 7 times.

In other words, instead of that funky, "click N times for 1 + Turbo - N" just think of it as "click N times for 150 - N" knowing that 150 is as bright as it goes (aka Turbo).

I have to admit, if Hank ever makes a ZebraLight SC64 sized torch, my ZebraLight days may be over. I vastly prefer a smooth ramp to a stepped ramp and the freedom to burn myself in the name of showing it off, if I so desire. Love all my Emisars!

Ps. My *only* quibble with this D4s is that the XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K is not nearly as warm as the XP-G2 S4 5D, 4000K LEDs in my old D4 - but that's my own mistake for wanting more lumens over the tried and true tint of the XP-G2s. Those XP-G2s are a beautiful almost incandescent color and I love them. (For anyone wondering, my D4s XP-L's are just a shade warmer than my SC64w's XHP35 4500K tint, whereas my D4's XP-G2's are about two shades warmer than the D4s XP-L's.)

Pps. I really, really hope I can get a new D4 or program my trusty old D4 with this new v3 firmware!

Last edited:

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for info on the xpl 4000k...I was also going to "go for the lumens" but now I'm leaning toward the xpg 2 for the warmer tint. One of the vendors that sells the Emisar D4s states: "xpg2 is neutral/warm" and the xpl 4000 is just "neutral". This kinda gives the buyer an indication that there is tint difference between the two emiters.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for info on the xpl 4000k...I was also going to "go for the lumens" but now I'm leaning toward the xpg 2 for the warmer tint. One of the vendors that sells the Emisar D4s states: "xpg2 is neutral/warm" and the xpl 4000 is just "neutral". This kinda gives the buyer an indication that there is tint difference between the two emiters.

It's a very good tint, don't get me wrong. It's certainly warmer than my ZebraLight SC62w. It's just not that... campfire "warm and fuzzy" that the XP-G2 gives off. Not enough for me to order another one and sell this one / give it away as a Christmas present - but just enough that I'm going to casually mention it in a forum where I know I'll get nods of understanding instead of blank stares or eye rolls LOL

And although it is significantly brighter and has better color rendition than my D4 XP-G2, it IS enough to dissuade me from splurging on the XP-L HI version of the D4 as well. I'm quite happy with my XP-G2 version instead. :D

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
It's a very good tint, don't get me wrong. - but just enough that I'm going to casually mention it in a forum where I know I'll get nods of understanding instead of blank stares or eye rolls LOL

Love it!!! :twothumbs

I have had a few different xpl HI 4000k LED's, some rosy/slightly warm=very nice, others not rosy, tad towards yellow= ok but not as nice as other samples. Maybe triple optics make the HI 4k more rosy, no evidence or proof to back that blanket guess up!

markr6

Flashaholic
If you don't think you'll use the magnetic cap much, skip it. It pulls the battery out when you take it off, and could fall if you don't catch it. I'll be ordering an extra w/o magnet when they become available.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of my d4s arrived today.. they shipped it on August 28th.. so it only took 10 days.. they were shipped with China post 4F.

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
Emisar D4S 26650 High Power LED Flashlight
Color - Grey (smooth surface)
Led & Tint - Neutral White - XP-L HI V2 3A, 5000K
Battery - 1 * LiitoKala 5000mAh 26650 cell

Ordered from int-outdoor. Excited can't wait to get it!

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
Emisar D4S 26650 High Power LED Flashlight
Color - Grey (smooth surface)
Led & Tint - Neutral White - XP-L HI V2 3A, 5000K
Battery - 1 * LiitoKala 5000mAh 26650 cell

Ordered from int-outdoor. Excited can't wait to get it!

Gratz, Joe!!! I ordered one yesterday and am looking forward to the light.

I picked the gray one with XP-L HI 4000k and a magnetic cap. After emailing Hank about durability of the side switch, he made sure that the switch wouldn't fail from a simple drop.

Now I'll just need my ODF30 back from Lumintop as soon as they get it through a warranty fix. Then again, I'm really tempted to pull that thing apart next time it fails on me. This will be my first quad-LED powered by a 26650.

markr6

Flashaholic
It was foggy last night so I took my 219C out for a walk. WOW!! You really need to get into some open spaces to give this a workout on turbo. Such a pleasant beam profile and the size is very ergonomic. The fog really exaggerated the output and was just blinding. Sometimes it's fun to have a "showoff" mode.

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine a couple of days ago. It's XP-L Hi 4000k, green body with magnetic tail. This has instantly become one of my favorite lights ever!

UI is just awesome. Powerful and flexible, but also easy to use.
Tint is perfect and output is amazing.
Fit and finish is excellent.

Very impressed!

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
Gratz, Joe!!! I ordered one yesterday and am looking forward to the light.

I picked the gray one with XP-L HI 4000k and a magnetic cap. After emailing Hank about durability of the side switch, he made sure that the switch wouldn't fail from a simple drop.

Now I'll just need my ODF30 back from Lumintop as soon as they get it through a warranty fix. Then again, I'm really tempted to pull that thing apart next time it fails on me. This will be my first quad-LED powered by a 26650.

thought about getting that version but almost all my lights are 4000-4500. Had to step out of my comfort zone, lol. I also thought 5000k would look good on this power house

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with the less efficient 219C, this host can handle more heat than I thought it could, probably around 500-600 lumens continuous without getting hot. Not bad!

Last edited: