EV charging cables cut by copper "recyclers"

He didn't really mean to hurt you .....
My house is entirely off-grid.. I wasn't referring to electricity, I was referring to your rather annoying approach at lecturing everybody else.
Do you have pink hair? Blue hair? It seems that people with odd coloured hair have a tendency to tell everyone else what they should be doing.
Shouldn't you be more concerned with cleaning up the human excrement where you live? Instead of worrying what people say on the internet?

@kaichu dento, Told ya. :rolleyes:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I'll just place this here..

Smug Alert

Worth a watch. Probably one of the funnier episodes. It's about hybrid drivers, but seems to be equally (if not exponentially) true about some EV drivers.

Edit:
To clarify, I have no issues with EVs. In fact I'm blown away by the performance whenever I get to chauffeur my dad in his Tesla Model Y with performance package. EVs are a huge part of the future as are solar panels and cleaner sources of energy. Give me an EV with no nanny systems and a full manual transmission (or sequential shift) and I'll be ready with my wallet!

My problem is with the technology that comes with EVs (and includes many modern ICE vehicles). Specifically the "beta culture" that the world has adopted. Car manufacturers launch nanny systems and self-driving capabilities but fail to perform sufficient testing before they jump in with both feet. Companies are driven by competition and greed and they push to release features that aren't ready for widespread use.

Sometimes the feature (while tested and mature) itself fosters poor driving habits. There are many instances where people turn on self-driving capabilities and they irresponsibly perform other tasks that take their eyes off the road. Just because a feature could be developed and implemented doesn't mean it should. Refer to post #12 here to read about what happened to me. One pedal driving means people aren't putting their foot on the brake when stopped. I've verified this with three other Tesla drivers. They all fully trusted their "hold" feature. Well, not anymore.

Then there's also the attitude people adopt, believing their driving an EV makes them more modern and superior to anyone else. They feel compelled to evangelize and convert others. Which brings us back to the South Park episode referenced above.
Just self interest and sharing. I don't need to feel superior. I don't need to belittle anybody. That's in your mind and insecurities. I humbly recommend therapy.
I know electric just about everything is better, or at least cheaper. That's why I do it. The postings I make share my experience and provide a warning. All you have to do is do the math. Let that be your guide. Sell your toys while they can provide a down payment on the future or be stuck with stranded assets worth nothing, too expensive to run. I come here to learn about flashlights and see ignorant posts, I am compelled to tell my truth. One that is backed by science and data. Those who put water bottles on their steering wheel or otherwise game the technology will be sorely surprised when their technological wonder takes the left turn lane rather than the Ieft lane.

Just self interest and sharing. I don't need to feel superior. I don't need to belittle anybody.
Nowhere in my post did I refer to you. I was merely stating an observation. But since you took it personally and lashed out, that may be condemning evidence about yourself.
I know electric just about everything is better, or at least cheaper. That's why I do it.
I never disagreed with this. I'm in support of EVs and cleaner energy. I have solar panels and plans to install home battery backup systems. I'm also planning to get an EV myself, once I'm comfortable. I'm sure you have a wealth of information in these areas, but the approach in educating others needs to be done tactfully.
I am compelled to tell my truth.
Spreading a thought and idea is not wrong. However, when it starts to become clear that it's falling on deaf ears and eliciting negative responses is when one should stop. Being right does not justify abrasive behavior no matter how much science and data backs you up. Persisting the wrong way about a cause gives a good cause a bad reputation.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I come here to learn about flashlights and see ignorant posts, I am compelled to tell my truth. One that is backed by science and data.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ... science and data, hahahahaha, dude, you obviously got your education from the fake news media, like a gullible & obedient little sheep. If you had any brains at all, they must have leaked out your multiple jab holes. I'll bet you drive around in your EV still wearing your covid mask and plastic face shield, don't you. Hahahahahahahahaha. :barf:

I tried to hold back and ignore your rambling gibberish, because your nonsense doesn't really deserve a reply, but I can't just sit by and watch you insult the fine folks on this forum.

Last edited:

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Spreading a thought and idea is not wrong. However, when it starts to become clear that it's falling on deaf ears and eliciting negative responses is when one should stop. Being right does not justify abrasive behavior no matter how much science and data backs you up. Persisting the wrong way about a cause gives a good cause a bad reputation.

These exchanges read like an electrical engineer unwittingly getting into an argument with a group of 14-year-olds on Twitter, becoming more and more flustered as the dog pile gets bigger. Everyone comes out looking dumb and diminished.

...... I'm sure you have a wealth of information in these areas, but the approach in educating others needs to be done tactfully.

I'm reminded of the following -

Always be prepared to answer everyone who asks you to give the reason. But do so with gentleness and respect.

That's a paraphrase concerning sharing one's faith in the Lord.

Although this is an entirely different matter, the council is applicable.

1. Be prepared to answer everyone who asks.
2. Answer with gentleness and respect.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
But he is no electrical engineer, 80% of things he says are ridiculous and wrong.
Hmmm….I'd say he's 80% evangelizing, 60% belittling, 100% hubristic. Ridiculous? Maybe. Wrong? Not so sure.

He generally defends his points well with facts and experience. I still think he's loosing these exchanges. That says a lot.

The electrical engineer mention was analogous. If you take him at his word however, he's had more than ten EVs going back decades, including conversions and a couple he built. That gives him some clout in my opinion, even if it isn't helping him win any arguments.

This little cartoon posted earlier felt appropriate:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hate theifs just horrible people whats wrong with people. thiefs ruin this world

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The electrical engineer mention was analogous. If you take him at his word however, he's had more than ten EVs going back decades, including conversions and a couple he built. That gives him some clout in my opinion, even if it isn't helping him win any arguments.
Owning a whole heck of a lot of something for decades doesn't give him clout. By that standard, my collection of all types of flashlights from various brands, hundreds (if not thousands) over the last 20+ years should make me an electrical engineer. Nope!

I couldn't even tell you how to swap out an emitter. Just means I'm a dude who spends far too much money buying flashlights and hoarding, I mean.... collecting them. Yeah, that's it.... I'm a hardcore collector.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Owning a whole heck of a lot of something for decades doesn't give him clout.
True, but he looks to have built a number of ICE-to-EV conversions...A car, a truck, and a number of motorcycles. That makes it more significant to me.

I've never tried to make an '80 Ford Courier into an EV, but it looks difficult. Credit where it's due.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Just means I'm a dude who spends far too much money buying flashlights and hoarding, I mean.... collecting them. Yeah, that's it.... I'm a hardcore collector.
I bet you know a lot about owning and operating flashlights though. Probably well acquainted with the pros and cons of LEDs over incandescents, whats improved over the years with emitters, and where the tech is headed. More than me. Definitely more than someone who's never used a modern torch.

Familiarity and first hand experience may not mean expertise, but they do mean something. Doesn't make someone an authority. Just seems like they're worth taking into account.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but he looks to have built a number of ICE-to-EV conversions...A car, a truck, and a number of motorcycles. That makes it more significant to me.

I've never tried to make an '80 Ford Courier into an EV, but it looks difficult. Credit where it's due.
Just because someone says something does not mean it is true, anyone can say anything, ask him for proof, someone who build all that would have been talking about it with like minded people on line, post pictures, videos, be a members of ev communities, clubs.....
. i put him on ignore a while ago, but from what i've read before that he did not come off as anything close to what you describe.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Just because someone says something does not mean it is true, anyone can say anything, ask him for proof, someone who build all that would have been talking about it with like minded people on line, post pictures, videos, be a members of ev communities, clubs.....
. i put him on ignore a while ago, but from what i've read before that he did not come off as anything close to what you describe.
He could be lying. I don't think he is. He posted link to site on a previous thread where some of the builds were detailed with pics. He speaks like has some experience with the stuff.

Being a zealot doesn't make someone wrong. Just makes them a zealot. Lots of zealots these days. All kinds.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Give me an EV with no nanny systems and a full manual transmission (or sequential shift) and I'll be ready with my wallet!
If you choose the bells and whistles like FSD...you are nagged to death. Choose no options. Unchill, no lane centering, no lane alerts. Takes a little fussing with the options. No need for a transmission. You would actually be slower with a tranny. Tesla tried it. Porsche may still be doing it. They tend to break. Simple gear reduction is all you need. Simpler to drive and drift. Fingertip control. Same with the go pedal. Lots of control. Let'er rip. Have fun but don't tell papa..and don't scare him unless you want him have a heart attack.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
The Ford Courier I mentioned was a Factory EV in name only. Jet Industries took base Ford Couriers without engines and put in controllers, motors and a battery box behind the driver and some under the hood. Pretty simple stuff. Kept the transmission and driveshaft. Basically a forklift motor mated to the transmission. A better factory conversion would have put the batteries under the bed between the frame rails, but they wanted to keep the center of gravity around the driver. Fun little truck. Bench seat held me and both of my kids. A work colleague gave it to me. I repaired it, drove it a couple years and then sold it to a Mormon Bishop. He brought his rock crawler and towed it back to Utah. It was for his wife.

These exchanges read like an electrical engineer unwittingly getting into an argument with a group of 14-year-olds on Twitter, becoming more and more flustered as the dog pile gets bigger. Everyone comes out looking dumb and diminished.

@sim1tti, Five posts in the very thread on the same day - HAHAHA! Welcome down the rabbit hole. 😁 Ya jumped in with both feet. :yellowlaugh: ..... :popcorn: