EV charging cables cut by copper "recyclers"

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Nowhere in my post did I refer to you. I was merely stating an observation. But since you took it personally and lashed out, that may be condemning evidence about yourself.

I never disagreed with this. I'm in support of EVs and cleaner energy. I have solar panels and plans to install home battery backup systems. I'm also planning to get an EV myself, once I'm comfortable. I'm sure you have a wealth of information in these areas, but the approach in educating others needs to be done tactfully.

Spreading a thought and idea is not wrong. However, when it starts to become clear that it's falling on deaf ears and eliciting negative responses is when one should stop. Being right does not justify abrasive behavior no matter how much science and data backs you up. Persisting the wrong way about a cause gives a good cause a bad reputation.
Deaf ears will yield boo whos and ouch in the pocket book in the future. Their choice for not doing the math and keeping an ear to the rail. Windmills do not cause cancer...etc.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
sim1tti said:
These exchanges read like an electrical engineer unwittingly getting into an argument with a group of 14-year-olds on Twitter, becoming more and more flustered as the dog pile gets bigger. Everyone comes out looking dumb and diminished.
@sim1tti, Five posts in the very thread on the same day - HAHAHA! Welcome down the rabbit hole. 😁 Ya jumped in with both feet. :yellowlaugh: ..... :popcorn:
I wouldn't have been quite that mean but that is basically what has happened. However I'm more of a shade tree engineer. Just enough knowledge to not electrocute myself...but I did weld a few tools before insulating them one way or another. Rubber hose or heat shrink tubing.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The Ford Courier I mentioned was a Factory EV in name only. Jet Industries took base Ford Couriers without engines and put in controllers, motors and a battery box behind the driver and some under the hood. Pretty simple stuff. Kept the transmission and driveshaft. Basically a forklift motor mated to the transmission. A better factory conversion would have put the batteries under the bed between the frame rails, but they wanted to keep the center of gravity around the driver.
Nice post and it's be great to see more of them. As mentioned upstream a little ways, some pics of your projects would probably be pretty welcome here too.

I do have a question about your chopper builds. Did you find the rear hub motors to make the bike really rear heavy? Without any motors I always felt the back was cumbersome and made turning feel "odd." After I added an engine to the frame right behind the pedals, it seemed to balance out with a more centered (front/back) and low center of gravity. I wonder if a an electric motor mounted to the crank would work well?

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Post 69 was just my way of welcoming you to Wonderland. :clap: 69 ... The 14-year-old in me wants to make a joke about that. But I digress.

Truth be told - I liked your analogy but I was confused about who was whom.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, confuse them with....
I do have a question about your chopper builds. Did you find the rear hub motors to make the bike really rear heavy? Without any motors I always felt the back was cumbersome and made turning feel "odd." After I added an engine to the frame right behind the pedals, it seemed to balance out with a more centered (front/back) and low center of gravity. I wonder if a an electric motor mounted to the crank would work well?
I decided to go a bit unconventional. Shaft drive is considered less efficient but it does work. Real quiet. Mid drive is the best setup for bicycles. Hub motors have the advantage of Regen. The most efficient is sprockets and chain or belt. In my experience it is best to can the engine. Use only what you need to mount the new motor. By doing what you did improves the center of gravity.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should be investing into induction charging system like EV1 had, same thing as iphone wireless charging, just bigger. build bases into pavement, a car pulls up, lowers a paddle mounted to its underside over the charging coil, and charges via magnetic field. no wires needed, vandal proof system.