Every Day Carry

sparky_

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everyone!

I have been stalking the forums for quite some time, but I need some advice.

I have a iTP A3 EOS which works great. However, I want to upgrade something that has more light.

My primary use would be walking the dog at night (searching for and picking up her poop, looking for her if she has ran off, etc.), around the house, in case of power outages, camping, and on a boat taking the dinghy from a sailboat to shore and back.

The rest of my preferences are below. What do you recommend? I don't really know how many lumens and the throw I need.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
__X_Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__X_I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
__X_Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X_I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__X_I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__X_I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X_I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
__X_I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__X_I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__X_I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

__X_Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X_Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X_5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X_30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
_X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
_X__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
__X_I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X_I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
__X_I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
__X_I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Surefire Fury. You can find them on eBay for $108 all day long, and often you can find them for under $100 used on the CPFMP and eBay. High of 500 lumens (actual output is more like 6-700) and low of 15 lumens.

sparky_

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Surefire Fury. You can find them on eBay for $108 all day long, and often you can find them for under $100 used on the CPFMP and eBay. High of 500 lumens (actual output is more like 6-700) and low of 15 lumens.

Thanks Chris. The Fury looks awesome and I know people swear by SureFire.

However, I was thinking I might want something in the middle between low and high.

Also, I was hoping for something under $75. And while I am getting picky I think a pocky clip would be handy.

erikesp

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Powertac line of flashlights. Specifically the cadet and E5 and E10. Both great and both well below your budget. I have all three and I think that for your needs the Cadet and E10 would be ideal. However, the E5 is a 700 lumen light but a little bigger than the others.

ltsba

Newly Enlightened
I advise you can look for the thrunite flashlight, Neutron series,

jimboutilier

Enlightened
There are a lot of pocket EDC lights that might suit your needs.

My favorite would be the Zebralight SC52. Very small and bright (280-500 max lm depending on battery). Very efficient. Side clickey. Great user interface that allows instant access to full brightness or to quickly sequence through low/med/high or high/med/low. Floodey beam with decent throw. Well constructed. Pocket clip. And takes most flavors of AA and 14500 cells.

Another might be the Sunwayman V11R series - infinitely variable (1-max) with a clickey switch and rotary dial. Max brightness of 190-500lm depending on battery. Takes all flavors of CR123/RCR123/16340 and with an AA extender can also run on all AA/14500 batteries.

But there are a lot of lights from others like JetBeam RRT01 , Niteye EYE10, EagleTac D25C, Fenix E15, Nitecore EC1 / EA1, etc. You have a lot of choices in both brand and model.

sparky_

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone.

I just the Nitecore SRT3. I like the infinitely variable as I don't really know how much light I need/want. The ability to use AA is always nice in addition to a CR123. I know it just came out and there aren't many reviews, but any thoughts?

passive101

Enlightened
I just ordered the SRT3 as well today. I can't wait for it to arrive. It's bigger then my Zebralight sc52, but I was looking for more throw. I will also be possibly using this with a firearm as well. I like the red and blue LEDs as low light options. The only mode I really don't need is the cop flash, but I have already thought of a few situations were it could be legally used to a tactical advantage. I won't know if my ideas will work perfectly for the cop strobe until I can play with the light for a while.

I like being able to have it set to the brightest setting as well as being able to adjust it all the time for low light work, reading, walking around etc.

TheVat26

Enlightened
The srt3 seems very cool. Don't expect 1 hour of runtime on high with an aa batt though. I have a mt1a and did a runtime test on high (140 lm) with a 2000 mah eneloop. Only ran for 36 minutes. As a general purpose light, it seems pretty good. As a tac light, the ring location of turbo and strobe seems like it could be an issue in a stressful situation.