Favorite V54 Light

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SL2 and MaratacVN made it in!!! Very impressive :) I have to say out of the 2, the SL2 is my fave. It's a great sized light with incredible output! I got the SL2 with triple XPL PDT it has 6000k tint. The night I got it, I pulled onto our dark street and stopped the truck. I kept turning the headlights off and the SL2 on and back and forth. The SL2 lit things up just as much as my headlights :D I will have to take some pics when I have an opportunity. It's awesome!

The MaratacVN Cu is awesome and had the WOW factor that I expected! That being said, I'm super bummed. It was on the mode that has 5% and 100% output with memory. I really wanted to change it to 1-30-100 with no memory, so this morning I tried 3 times to get it into programming mode and then it happened . . . it just stayed on. I kept turning and turning to take the head off. Only then will it 'shut off' as soon as I touch the head to the battery to screw it together, the light comes on in 100%. So I got to carry it 1 day :( Also, the little glow ring is starting to come off :(

I have a ToolVN and TX25Cvn on the way, so I can't wait till the ToolVN to arrive to take over pocket carry.

That's great they finally arrived. Email Vinh about the Maratacvn, he'll get it straightened out. I love my TX25C2vn. Yours is the same refelector on a shorter body. I have an XML2 U3 PDT and an XPG2 PDT. Which LED did you get.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I liked the larger multicell lights more ... My K40vn was amazing but just didn't get used much because of the size.

I'm usually backpacking, night riding or trail building when using my lights.
Occasionally I use my headlamp when soldering on my guitar/studio equipment etc.

My current fav VN is my quad p60 with two dedomed XPL & two domed XPG2
The XPLs were domed but a little too cool for me so I dedomed them myself to shift the tint a bit.

I have found that the yellowy tints that can be a bit ugly indoors tend to have the highest CONTRAST (not CRI) outside on the trail, especially in wet and/or foggy conditions.

I LOVE the driver VN being so flexible with modes. Mine is set to 2 modes - 5% and DD with memory.

My host is a Fivemega 18500 tube with a SureFire tail cap & zerorez shorty for an extra 15mm of cell length to make 18650. Double orings too.
On the front I have a Solarforce L2P head that I sanded smooth with a flush SS bezel and UCL.

It's fairly compact and with the bezel screwed right onto the UCL & the double o-ring on the tail has been fine swimming up a couple of rivers as well as on the handlebars of my downhill bike and survived a few crashes too haha.

I should get an SL2 one of these days and maybe the HL55 if my Zebra H600w ever dies. ...

Awesome choice. I use my HL55vn often when hiking. It's a great headlamp. I don't mind carrying anything smaller than the TK75vnQ as it fits in a holster.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picking a favorite V54 is almost as difficult as Sophie's Choice. (you have to be old to remember that one).

It's between two very different lights; the MM18vn and the TOOLvn. The MM18vn is the most practical big light because it's really two lights in one. The dual XHP70'S flood everything around you with more than 6,000 lumens and the single throw emitter easily reaches over 600 meters. Both modes are operated independently and can be used separately or together. Each has a separate switch to adjust the power of the flood & throw independently. It won't fit in you pocket, but it weighs barely more than a pound & a half with batteries. Oh, and it will run for more than a few minutes without over heating.

Big lights bring big expectations and Vinh's big lights deliver. Which brings me to the diminutive TOOLvn and the blast of light coming out of that tiny thing. This is the most impressive of all lights! And there's no excuse not to have it with you.

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picking a favorite V54 is almost as difficult as Sophie's Choice. (you have to be old to remember that one).

It's between two very different lights; the MM18vn and the TOOLvn. The MM18vn is the most practical big light because it's really two lights in one. The dual XHP70'S flood everything around you with more than 6,000 lumens and the single throw emitter easily reaches over 600 meters. Both modes are operated independently and can be used separately or together. Each has a separate switch to adjust the power of the flood & throw independently. It won't fit in you pocket, but it weighs barely more than a pound & a half with batteries. Oh, and it will run for more than a few minutes without over heating.

Big lights bring big expectations and Vinh's big lights deliver. Which brings me to the diminutive TOOLvn and the blast of light coming out of that tiny thing. This is the most impressive of all lights! And there's no excuse not to have it with you.

Excellent choices and compelling reasons for both. I've been wanting a MM18vn. How's the runtime on flood alone, throw, and then on both? You're best estimate if you've never measured it will suffice.

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:

If Callum(my little one) could type, he would tell you his fav v54 is the toolvn

Awesome of vinh and made Callums week!.......month!!! We will be going out over the weekend for some park in the dark fun.

:)

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing:

If Callum(my little one) could type, he would tell you his fav v54 is the toolvn

Awesome of vinh and made Callums week!.......month!!! We will be going out over the weekend for some park in the dark fun.

:)

Awesome. Nice pics. I see your starting early. Lol. My youngest daughter (13) would sometimes go on my nighty walks and gravitated towards my K40Mvn. I sold it to fund other V54 lights and the very next time out I offer her the K40vn or TK75vn KT. She grabs the K40vn and turns it on and immediately turns around and says this isn't "my" light. Not connecting the dots, I say huh? She says my light, it looks like this but is way brighter. Ohh.... I sold it. Why did you sell "my" light she asks. I said you only wanna come every so often and I didn't realize you liked it so much. I let her use the TK75vn KT and she's happy with "her" light now cause it's almost as bright but throws much further than the K40Mvn. She's a combo girl like her daddy. (Most of lumens and lux available ie the X60vn) Lmao. Kids..... what a trip

ven

Flashaholic
How could you do such a thing............:poke: its only fair she gets the tk75Q now or the KT version:whistle:

;)

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
How could you do such a thing............:poke: its only fair she gets the tk75Q now or the KT version:whistle:

;)

I know right. She totally acted like she could care less about any of the lights until I got rid of the one she like. SMH. The Q, no way. But the KT is a Fiat Lux lol. Nobody answered me about if there are any Q Fiat Lux out there?

ven

Flashaholic
Her own light with her name engraved would be :cool: of course i would never try spending your hard earned................:whistle:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Her own light with her name engraved would be :cool: of course i would never try spending your hard earned................:whistle:

That's an awesome idea. I'd have no problem doing that at some point if she got into the hobby. Right now she wouldn't appreciate it. She thinks it's pretty cool I let her use one of my favorite lights. I had a bit of a rough childhood so I kinda spoil my girls the best I can.

ven

Flashaholic
;) girls are very expensive to run !!! :laughing: mine is 9 going on 19............nightmare :laughing:

But she is good with the animals and her head is crewed on, just a proper cheeky madam like he mum :laughing:#

She enjoys her lights, has a tube in her school bag and a stainless AA light which she uses a lot around the house at night.

She loves using higher output lights (supervised of course) but for some reason she shines it at me when talking to me.............. she talks a lot!! :laughing:

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
;) girls are very expensive to run !!! :laughing: mine is 9 going on 19............nightmare :laughing:

But she is good with the animals and her head is crewed on, just a proper cheeky madam like he mum :laughing:#

She enjoys her lights, has a tube in her school bag and a stainless AA light which she uses a lot around the house at night.

She loves using higher output lights (supervised of course) but for some reason she shines it at me when talking to me.............. she talks a lot!! :laughing:

I feel for you--the fun is just starting at 9--wait till the teens set in----my girl is 27--you know the way they say Daaaaaddd when they need you or something ($$$) that never changes--she'll call and that Daaaaaddd sounds just like when she was 5

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
I've got three girls! They are awesome. My older two, 9 and 7, love flashlights and love it when I pull out my nice ones. Right now the SL2 is the best I've got and it's been fun! My littlest, 2 years old (and adopted, what an amazing priveledge to rescue a little person!) likes the lights too, but we haven't got her past a little princess light yet ;)

ven

Flashaholic
I feel for you--the fun is just starting at 9--wait till the teens set in----my girl is 27--you know the way they say Daaaaaddd when they need you or something ($$$) that never changes--she'll call and that Daaaaaddd sounds just like when she was 5

All noted my friend .......all noted..........i plan my mid life crisis(rach will tell you i have been having one since i was 21 :laughing: ) before then, 2 seater sports car and mustache !!!! ok kidding:p

ven

Flashaholic
I've got three girls! They are awesome. My older two, 9 and 7, love flashlights and love it when I pull out my nice ones. Right now the SL2 is the best I've got and it's been fun! My littlest, 2 years old (and adopted, what an amazing priveledge to rescue a little person!) likes the lights too, but we haven't got her past a little princess light yet ;)

3 ......oh wow, bet you do have your hands full!!!

I can see you now at birthday time..........

:whistle:

Latest posts