Favorite V54 Light

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump to update.

Eagletac MX25L4 Vn T XPL pdt has won one-fifth of my four other Vn lights' electoral votes.

The other four lights, for reasons that I already posted in this thread.

The MX25L4 Vn T XPL pdt: Because of its high thrust to weight ratio. 5,000 lumens, not overweight for a 4 x 18950 light, not over size head diameter, and with these three qualities, very nice throw specs when compared to larger and heavier lights. The stainless steel bezel and aluminum reflectors impart nice looks while it sits on my desktop during the day.

By night: blocks long, street wide beam profile.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^That's a nice light, and nice looking too! Gotta love those performance numbers... especially from a relatively small package.

I suppose my overall favorite V54 is probably my TK75vnQ70, but that could change depending on which way the wind is blowing.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
So richbuff, about how long does it take to get too hot?
(this is becoming my favorite flashlight and I haven't even bought it yet) LOL

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so here's my top 5 V54 lights from the 14 that I currently own, but I do like them all.

1. TX25Cvn. I keep coming back to this light every time I think that I have a new favourite. Big throw and perfect beam in a small light.

2. SDminiVN. The pick of the compact single 18650 lights. 1000 lumens from XPG2 at 65Kcd. Forget the disabled USB, everything else is perfect.

3. T6vn. Compact multi reflector thrower. On par with the others in this class, but shorter.

4. TN32UTvn. XPL PDT. Long thrower with the most usable beam. Hot spot/ corona and spill for all ranges. Built with Thrunite's typical quality. Just edges out the K70vn, which is much brighter, because of better and more neutral beam.

5. C22Cvn. Compact single 18650. XML2 PDT for medium throw with a side Nichia for flood. Two lights in one and it has a square head, so it doesn't roll on to the floor when you're not looking! :D

I'm yet to find a Wow light that is a flooder. Then again I have little interest in a lumen monster due to heat issues. My favourite flooder at present is a compact one, the PT16vn.

So that's all 7 of my top 5. :D

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have as many vn lights as you guys, but if these:
M43
V11r
C22c
Tool
Mini-1

It's Toolvn!

Rc40F on the way and I have a feeling k60 AND/or (most likely AND) 6p with a p60 drop in will be next. I just wish vinh would work a little faster [emoji26]. I have a tendency to order the next light before receiving my prior orders! I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Also, this new r50 is stealing lots of time from vinh! Stop ordering guys! I need my Rc40! [emoji30]

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
C22Cvn. Compact single 18650. XML2 PDT for medium throw with a side Nichia for flood. Two lights in one and it has a square head, so it doesn't roll on to the floor when you're not looking! :D

I've known about this light since it came out, but I thought it was a gimmick. Now, SG, you have me pondering it's merits.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've known about this light since it came out, but I thought it was a gimmick. Now, SG, you have me pondering it's merits.

Yes Mad, it seems a bit like those Chinese fake Cree lights with the compass in the base!

I picked it up in the July sale. Had I known I certainly would have bought it earlier. My son wants to claim it!

The quad would be awesome but it's out of my price range. :D

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so here's my top 5 V54 lights from the 14 that I currently own, but I do like them all.

1. TX25Cvn. I keep coming back to this light every time I think that I have a new favourite. Big throw and perfect beam in a small light.

2. SDminiVN. The pick of the compact single 18650 lights. 1000 lumens from XPG2 at 65Kcd. Forget the disabled USB, everything else is perfect.

3. T6vn. Compact multi reflector thrower. On par with the others in this class, but shorter.

4. TN32UTvn. XPL PDT. Long thrower with the most usable beam. Hot spot/ corona and spill for all ranges. Built with Thrunite's typical quality. Just edges out the K70vn, which is much brighter, because of better and more neutral beam.

5. C22Cvn. Compact single 18650. XML2 PDT for medium throw with a side Nichia for flood. Two lights in one and it has a square head, so it doesn't roll on to the floor when you're not looking! :D

I'm yet to find a Wow light that is a flooder. Then again I have little interest in a lumen monster due to heat issues. My favourite flooder at present is a compact one, the PT16vn.

So that's all 7 of my top 5. :D

Interesting... we have very similar taste in lights, until the "yet to find a wow light that is a flooder" comment. That actually hurt a little.
My favorite V54 wow light, that is a flooder, is my TK75vnQ70

So the TX25Cvn? The Pocket Throw Queen! I guess I'm gonna have to add this one too. I keep reading testimonials about how this light is the one owners reach for time and again. At first I thought these guys must just be fancy but now I think I need to see for myself.

Nice to hear someone else likes the SDminiVN. I've bragged it up many times here but no one ever had my back. Hey has anyone noticed that it's making a back-from-the-dead appearance as we speak?

T6vn is also becoming one of my favs. For a while now I've ignored it... but that's gonna happen when you order flashlights like a 10-year-old boy who's scared of monsters... but recently I've gone back to the T6vn and am enjoying the broad area it lights up when scanning from around 150-250 yards. And since I've gotten past the turbo or bust phase it doesn't burn my hand anymore.

I also love the C22Cvn. I show off all my new small lights to our regular lunch crowd at the nearby diner and so far the C22Cvn ranks #2 in oohs & aahs! When I turned on the second beam one of the older ladies got excited and accidentally farted... we blamed the dog.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... we have very similar taste in lights, until the "yet to find a wow light that is a flooder" comment. That actually hurt a little.

Lol! I did put in the caveat that I'm not into high lumen flooders, so I'm happy to be labelled as ignorant. To gain this knowledge might be expensive, so I'm happy to be agnostic! :D

Did the SDmini ever drop off of Skylumen? Hopefully it's there to stay. I'm happy for others to join our exclusive group. We can't have you just hangin' with me and old ladies at the diner! :D

Definitely love the TX25Cvn. I like unique lights, and this one is unique because of it's size to power ratio and perfect beam. It's my one fiat lux light as well. I imagine it's to throw what the ToolVN is to small flooders, and that's an outlier. Then again, I am agnostic on flooders..... ;)

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump to update.

Fenix TK75vnQ70 Driver VnX2 clear dome on has become my current favorite V54 light. Even though I purchased this light intending only to expand the horizon of my collection into the Larger Size light realm, it has indeed become my most used item for my cool, refreshing postprandial nighttime walk.

I am very happy with the concept: TN36UTvn with a larger diameter head to accommodate larger, deeper reflector wells, and an additional reflector well, resulting in a beam pattern that is similar to the TN36UTvn beam pattern, but adjusted toward some more throw and some more lumens and some less flood; center of mass of the massive beam lumen power is pushed forward some distance.

Additionally, I hip tote this light with a super simple 2.5 inch diameter loop of material that is looped around my belt.

This light surprisingly does not feel as big and does not feel as heavy as I thought it would feel. It has much nicer handleability than I thought it would have.

Fuhgetaboudit

Enlightened
Richbuff,

As I have researched and read, the TN36UTvn takes about 75 to 90 seconds on Turbo before it gets too hot to hold. How long can you run the MX25L4Cvn on Turbo before it gets too hot?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fuhgetaboudit,

I have not done "too hot to hold" tests on any of my lights.

Because I do not want heat from the test itself to cause wear and tear on the electronics and/or the emitters.

I select lights to purchase based on size to maximum power ratio, but I run my lights on turbo only for a few seconds, then I power down to avoid getting the light hot.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey fu, you gonna be getting your 6xlvn soon.. Vinh post some pic and led on the lounge... From my opinion, with the driver vnx2 or other vn driver, you can run turbo as long as you want until It became uncomfortable to hold.. I remember i run 5 minutes turbo and about 18 minutes high on my tn36utvn inside a room. I wasnt realize the light get hot untill i hold it. In the end, nothing happened. .the light operate fine. With that being said, if i need 10 minutes turbo, i will not be afraid to use it.

Fuhgetaboudit

Enlightened
Thanks NewLumen... I went over to the "Lounge" and saw the pictures of the 6XLvn. Awesome amount of work to build that light! I'm not sure just when it will arrive and Vinh has enough to do without be bugging him, so I told him to just drop me a line when he has it done. No hurry here.

Thanks also for the info about the TN36UTvn light and the run times with heat build up. Seems there is some conflicting information about how fast the heat builds up, but then again what one person calls "HOT" is relative to their perceptual qualities and is totally subjective. The TN36UTvn is just a great light to enjoy.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
one thing to consider regarding heat is that a freshly charged battery (ies) will definitely take less time to get "too hot to hold" on turbo. Slightly used batteries will take longer to heat up.

this sounds like a duhurrr statement but keep in mind that many reviewers or people to test out their lights purely for the sake of posting results on forums use fresh batteries whereas people who use them for their intended purpose usually end up starting off with a bit of use on them before blasting turbo. Everyone's mileage will vary too depending on the environment and even climate they use it in.

richbuff, i believe vinh personally "torture tests" every single one of his creations and while i don't know the details of what that includes, i think it's safe to say that "too hot to hold" is not even a minimum requirement to pass. He put that down as a safety measure for YOU: not the light itself. while i'm totally with you on keeping my lights well maintained, your lights can surely take a stretch here and there. Not saying to go out and abuse your lights, just saying that they won't burn out the moment your hand-gauge throws the caution sign.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump to update:

After a few weeks of using the Acebeam K70vn, it has earned its place as tied with the others in my collection as Favorite V54 light.

I did not plan on the K70 as being one of my favored lights; I purchased it because of the many glowing reviews, and to see what all the glow was all about, and to add a high performance thrower to my collection, just for the sake of expanding the scope of my collection.

Surprisingly, I found myself, with each passing night, liking this light more and more. I thought I would not like it, because of its size and heft, but have to be honest with myself and admit to myself that I do like its size and heft.

This light has converted me from being a dedicated flooder person to being a non-dedicated flooder person.

Having only flooders or having only throwers is only half the fun and excitement!

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^That's a nice light, and nice looking too! Gotta love those performance numbers... especially from a relatively small package.

I suppose my overall favorite V54 is probably my TK75vnQ70, but that could change depending on which way the wind is blowing.

The wind changed directions because my favorite light is the T6vn the TK75vnQ70 is still right up there though.

What's really surprising is my K70vn somehow jumped 30 spots from #42 all the way up to
#12. I don't understand what the hell happened either but if it breaks into my top 10 I'm having that little woman from Poltergeist check my house for spirits.

picture-of-heather-o-x27-rourke-in-poltergeist-large-picture.jpg

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump to update:

After a few weeks of using the Acebeam K70vn, it has earned its place as tied with the others in my collection as Favorite V54 light.

I did not plan on the K70 as being one of my favored lights;

Hey check it out.... you might need that little woman's phone number too!

Is your K70vn 6500K or 5000K?

ven

Flashaholic
Bump to update:
Having only flooders or having only throwers is only half the fun and excitement!

Agree, we need dedicated flood, dedicated throw..............everything in between:D

The k60vn nails this(in between), the (although the beam is not as "perfect" ) the rc40vnT kicks a55 in throw and spill for one of the higher performing lights of the "do it all" category.

I find it crazy that flood type lights, be it the Q70 or even the little tn36vn....................will out reach some dedicated throwers(single cell etc).............its a great time for flashaholics.