FCW-13 Camping / Flashlight Get Together!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd really like to attend, but the rules say "no jerks". :sigh:

Recently took a Fri/Sat off from work, and am not able to again so soon, but I'd LOVE to meet up with all youse peeps again. Saw some of ya' at Scout's get-together last year, and met a bunch of new, super cool folk there, but many I haven't seen in 5 1/2 years since PF18! Absolutely cannot believe how fast the time has flown by. Gotta' make either the next FCW, or whatever else happens.

Have fun, ya'll! Looking forward to the pics. Don't use photobucket... haha.

Oh man - BummerBoy! LOL Hey sorry to hear you can't make it, but I understand work scheduling all too well. I hope you can make the next one. And yes about photobucket - bummer some of the best pictures from past events were on photopucket, and you can't see them any more. :(

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
bummer! can't make this as it falls on the Jewish Holiday!

thanks for the invite and enjoy!

Oh man! I'm sorry about that. I didn't realize that -I will be more aware of things like that in the future. I hope to see you next time.

Stan671

Enlightened
I have no camping equipment since I gave all of that up when they found a dead body on our campsite (remind me to tell that story when we get to that part of the evening, usually when the s'mores are cookin). So I have no tents or sleeping bags. What are the odds someone has extras? It will be just me and my 12 year old (can't believe he turns 12 September 21st).
I offered to lend you what you might need. Are you attending? If yes, then what specifically can I bring for you?

Stan671

Enlightened
Tim, do you have any ideas of a source for firewood? You mentioned there is no store there, so I assume there must be places nearby to buy wood.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim, do you have any ideas of a source for firewood? You mentioned there is no store there, so I assume there must be places nearby to buy wood.

That is a great question Stan. Short answer is no... however I recall seeing several local spots where wood was for sale as I approached the State park area. It's a pretty woodsy area, we might find some free wood on the ground. I'm sure we will come up with some on way into the area. I've never driven up to any state park area and not seen local wood for sale signs. I would bring some with me (which they frown upon), but I don't think I'll have any room with all the lights I'm bringing! lol

Stan671

Enlightened
I figure that since the park does not sell wood, that there are probably locals that do. I can bring up some kiln-dried certified bug-free wood that is allowed to be transported, otherwise people should not bring natural wood from more afar as per campsite rules.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a wood pile and thought about bringing some but will bring lumberjacking equipment instead. A bow saw and axe. Hopefully there's some dead fallen trees we can harvest from that's not saturated.
Please swing east Jose.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for putting this together! unfortunately I won't be able to make it in, it would have been nice to meet you all.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stan- What's the guidance on bringing in wood? I'm pretty local...

Hi Scout24 - I think all campgrounds advise against bringing in wood from outside of the area in fear of introducing a non-local bug into the local eco system. You are pretty local, and so I doubt there would be any issue - especially if you are pretty confident that there are no bad bugs in your wood. :)

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a wood pile and thought about bringing some but will bring lumberjacking equipment instead. A bow saw and axe. Hopefully there's some dead fallen trees we can harvest from that's not saturated.
Please swing east Jose.

Look's like the weather is going to be great for us! :) Thanks for bringing the lumberjacking equipement - that will be helpful. Is your other half coming?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for putting this together! unfortunately I won't be able to make it in, it would have been nice to meet you all.

Hi Tech25 - sorry you can't make this one - I hope you can make a future event with us.

scout24

Flashaholic
Hi Scout24 - I think all campgrounds advise against bringing in wood from outside of the area in fear of introducing a non-local bug into the local eco system. You are pretty local, and so I doubt there would be any issue - especially if you are pretty confident that there are no bad bugs in your wood. :)

31 miles as per Mapquest. I think we're safe. Won't be staying for too long, but I'll bring some firewood.