Features that would make me buy another FourSevens light

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Franklin, who became the richest man in America, did not patent any of his inventions. According to Wikipedia, he believed "that as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."
Ben Franklin: Open Source Pioneer.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Benjamin Franklin was a giant among the founding fathers of the United States. He was also an inventor and scientist, one of few Americans who was a member of the British Royal Society.

Among other things, Franklin invented his famous Franklin Stove and the lightning rod. The latter, of course, has saved countless thousands of lives.

Franklin, who became the richest man in America, did not patent any of his inventions. According to Wikipedia, he believed "that as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."

Patent the square shape of a tablet? Phew!

We all need to relax and learn at least something about patent law. This discussion is getting absolutely silly!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all need to relax and learn at least something about patent law. This discussion is getting absolutely silly!
Not really off topic, sir. Foursevens recently got hamstrung by a patent suit. Not so silly now, is it? They can't just whip out any feature for fear that this will happen again.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Not really off topic, sir. Foursevens recently got hamstrung by a patent suit. Not so silly now, is it? They can't just whip out any feature for fear that this will happen again.

That is the whole point. As we all witnessed it ended up being very serious. Patent law and what is infringement is clearly defined and is not a matter of opinion. A Patent issued by the US Patent Office is valid by US law: period. Without a detailed knowledge of every single claim made at the end of a patent and whether or not another manufacturer is duplicating the same idea there can be no discussion.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the problem is when you go and do something without knowing someone already patented it.

Simultaneous and independent discovery are issues.

How messed up would it be if Leibniz and Newton got into a lawsuit over calculus?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz–Newton_calculus_controversy
The calculus controversy (often referred to with the German term Prioritätsstreit, meaning 'priority dispute') was an argument between 17th-century mathematicians Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz (begun or fomented in part by their disciples and associates) over who had first invented the mathematical study of change, calculus. It is a question that had been the cause of a major intellectual controversy, one that began simmering in 1699 and broke out in full force in 1711.

Neither of them were first. Prior art, as patent law would call it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_calculus#Precursors_of_calculus

So for there to be a controversy between Newton and Leibniz is stupid. Neither were first.

For there to be a patent on flashlights with nonconductive surfaces is retarded. It should have never been allowed.

Prior art. The first plastic flashlight invalidates SF's patent. Prior art.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
But there was and still remains a controversy over who discovered calculus first. Can you actually prove neither was first and finally put this centuries old question to rest?
Patent law in most of the world is not first to discover but first to file. Doing a Patent search before going ahead with the introduction of a new product is standard proceedure in this world. If you choose not to beware. Ignorance of the law is not an argument in a court. With regards to Surefire, if you do a patent search (its free) you will discover that they have numerous Patents each containing numerous claims. If you believe there is prior art you can challenge an existing patent. Study the claims and submit the relevant prior art to the US Patent Office for review.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like 47s, but I'm not in a position to do legal on their behalf. I've no Power of Attorney with them. I also hold no Bar certification in any state. :(

I'd help them if I could, but I'm no legal eagle.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm surprised they don't have a patent on button in back and bulb/led in front! Or pocket clips! Or forward clickies. Apple does the same thing. They're always suing some Android company.

Anyway I liked the original Quark tactical better than any Surefire of that size from that era. Too bad. I'm amazed Eagtac hasn't had problems with them over loose vs tight head output options.

i'm voting w/ my wallet. no surefires. just a matter of principle, i know it's not gonna make a dent on surefire...

that means no apples as well

Here's an Apple charging an 18650 Malstrom. I hope this doesn't make me a bad person.

~ Chance
NhVT9TW.jpg

A USB charging, 18650 light was something that made me buy another FourSevens light, that and it was on sale.

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Get rid of the propietary 18650 and 26650 in the mmrx and mmux3r. i would own both if they charged regular 18650s and 26650s. thanks.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but you cant recharge them, defeats the purpose in my opinion
We supply perfectly good 18650's with very high capacities for the 18650 at a very very reasonable cost.
If you want to use your own 18650 then use your own chargers. Most people don't know where to get 18650's anyways - mainly hobbyists.

Also being able to use any 18650 is a serious consumer risk because there are many 18650's without PTC protection and no protection circuit. That poses a serious risk.

Our products are for everyone to use - not just hobbyist. Like I said if you have your own 18650's then you must have your chargers.
Otherwise we have great 18650 cells for the mmr-x with all the proper safety mechanisms all at a very reasonable cost.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
So i guess youre saying it will never happen ;) so the main reasoning is you don't want the consumer charging their non protection circuit batteries in the lights? Thanks