First Impressions of HDS U60 & Quirks/Qs/Comments

aceo07

Enlightened
I got my U60 from batterystation and have been playing around with it. As everybody's comments and posts have been very helpful and informative, I thought I'd also contribute.. and possibly give someone that extra push to buy another flashlight.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Batterystation has good price (w/ 10 free batteries) and great shipping speed.

Initial impression of the U60 was that it looked solid and smooth. I wish the grip was a bit rougher. It's not as rough looking as my lost green Q3. I wish the bezel went out a little farther, like the Q3 and have ridges so that light could leak through (in case I accidentally leave it on).

The button is easy to click/push with my thumb. Like a mouse button, but a little bit firmer. I wish the clip was the other way, like the U2, so that I could have the reflector/glass faced downward when clipped on something.

The brightness settings are easy to switch between. The menu options are easy to get to. Just remember to let it exit the options before using the flashlight normally. I accidentally set momentary mode when I playing around with it the first time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Primary brightness (10L) is bright enough for night time. 60L is obviously very bright. Unfortunately mine has a purple tint at 60L. Prior to receiving the flashlight I had wanted to change primary brightness to 30L but 10L might stay for a while longer. It's a good brightness level for walking around.

I've noticed that on the standard low brightness level it does flicker every few seconds. There is also a tiny buzzing sound if you hold it near your ear.

The beam seems similar to the Q3 (from what I can remember). A little bit more focused on the center. The throw isn't as good as the SL Propoly 3C but that is expected.

The runtime for max 60L was average 30-32minutes for my 2 test runs using generic R123 600mah batteries. This was while cooled in front of my air conditioner. I haven't tried in a cup of water.

The options are cool. As I mentioned earlier, I played with momentary mode for a while. I also have locator flash mode on. The emergency flash and SOS might be useful as I do hiking and camping. Though I'm curious to see how long those modes last for.

As was mention in another thread I've read, the button does come out a little bit more after using it. It does not stand flat on it's button end. It doees still stand, but not straight.

The clip does hinder the process of screwing the tail back on. It pushes the tail down a little and you need to realign the threads before it will screw in properly. Just something to get used it. Not a big issue.

In some quirky instances when I turn on the flashlight with a single click and then press(greater than 0.5 sec) the button the light would turn off instead of going to MAX. This was not while in menu options as I waited a few minutes before trying to reproduce this quirk. I've also did soft reset and hard reset and this still occurs. I'm not sure why this happens, but after a couple of tries of click(on) press (off) click(on) press(off) it would finally work the right way, click(on) press(max). I'll probably have to contact HDS support if I can't figure it out in a day or 2.

I was disappointed that the flashlight did not arrived with silicon grease (or anything) applied on it. When I tried to change batteries it was squeaky and loud! I had to go to Radio Shack and get some Lube Gel to fix that. After that it was smooth.

Overall I'm very impressed. Very nice and bright light. I'll be making a lot of use of it. It's really cool when you turn it on with a low battery, it'll try to reach the primary bright step by step and then step down to the brightness that it can actually handle. The ability to use rechargeables is really nice. The new clip is nice, though I've never seen the old clip. The menu options are nice but not necessary if you can't spare $30 or don't need the extras. 60L, 10L, 2.5L 0.3L settings are actually well picked as standards.

Was it worth it? YES! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Re: First Impressions of HDS U60 & Quirks/Qs/Comme

Nice review! Do you find it to be significantly brighter (at 60L) than QIII? I have put this purchase on hold for now; Instead I am getting a Fenix and possibly a Proton later (it'll be available within a month or so acording to another post). Just a reminder to other readers who is considering HDS B or U models, momentary on feature is only available on U model, if that's important to you.

aceo07

Enlightened

Definitely brighter than my Q3, which was stock with R123. Brighter and maintains it for longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TorchMan

Enlightened
Congrats on your fine light!

I also own a U60. My beam is a bit blue tinted. Interesting to read about your beam color. Flashlight body is sorta grey. I'd love to see this info added to turbodogs serial number and model list. It's probably overkill I know, but might give an overall view.

Mine does not flicker on the lowest brightness setting, at least not yet. And yes, the four factory default brightness settings are, IMHO, perfect.

Good luck with the button quirks. And btw, I agree about wishing the clip could be mounted so the light could be carried bezel down. I guess nothing is perfect, even if it is Ultimate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
...when I turn on the flashlight with a single click and then press(greater than 0.5 sec) the button the light would turn off instead of going to MAX...

[/ QUOTE ]
My U60 #1129 does the same thing. It seems timing related -- if you click on then within about 1/2 sec do a press, it turns off. If you click on then wait at least 1/2 sec, then press, it goes to max brightness as documented.

It seems very consistent. Any variation you noticed was likely varying delays between the click and press. It's probably expected but undocumented behavior.

aceo07

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
joema said:
[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
...when I turn on the flashlight with a single click and then press(greater than 0.5 sec) the button the light would turn off instead of going to MAX...

[/ QUOTE ]
My U60 #1129 does the same thing. It seems timing related -- if you click on then within about 1/2 sec do a press, it turns off. If you click on then wait at least 1/2 sec, then press, it goes to max brightness as documented.

It seems very consistent. Any variation you noticed was likely varying delays between the click and press. It's probably expected but undocumented behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing that tid-bit. I tried it and you're right. Then I got into the menu option after the attempts I just tried.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

KenBar

Enlightened

Nice review Aceo07...

This is torture as I wait for mine. I linked your review to the section in the post I started for helps to new prospective buyers.

Information for prospective owners of HDS EDC's

I was going to start a section on "QUIRKS" Tips and Tricks but it looks like you have a great start so I will just link to yours.

I know for a light this cool...there HAS to be some easter eggs hidden somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aceo07

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
TorchMan said:
...And yes, the four factory default brightness settings are, IMHO, perfect....

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought the 4 brightness settings were set as a ploy to get people to buy the Ultimate edition to change it, but I now realize that I was wrong. 10L and 2.5L are NOT as dim as people think. However, I do not regret getting the U60. I might swap the 0.3L for 30L or 42L as I haven't found a use for 0.3L yet.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
...I haven't found a use for 0.3L yet...

[/ QUOTE ]
0.3L is good for not blinding your spouse at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually dark adapted eyes are so sensitive I use level 19 (about 0.12L), instead of 0.3L.

The more I use my U60, the more I realize how useful multiple brightness levels are.

There are many nice high output LED lights, but >40L is just too bright for many situations.

There's a tendency to focus on ever higher output, when other factors such as size, efficiency, ergonomics and variable output are sometimes more important.

High output is nice but chasing that has limitations and drawbacks -- to double the output requires at least double the power & heat, 1/2 the runtime, yet you don't perceive it as twice as bright, just a little brighter.

You can see that on a U60 by changing the primary brightness to level 3 (30L), and switching between that and max (60L). 60L is double the power drain but only appears modestly brighter than 30L.

Based on that given the hypothetical choice between a U85 the same physical size or a shrunken U60 2/3 the size, I'd take the smaller one.

aceo07

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
joema said:
[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
...I haven't found a use for 0.3L yet...

[/ QUOTE ]
0.3L is good for not blinding your spouse at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually dark adapted eyes are so sensitive I use level 19 (about 0.12L), instead of 0.3L.

The more I use my U60, the more I realize how useful multiple brightness levels are.

There are many nice high output LED lights, but >40L is just too bright for many situations.

There's a tendency to focus on ever higher output, when other factors such as size, efficiency, ergonomics and variable output are sometimes more important.

High output is nice but chasing that has limitations and drawbacks -- to double the output requires at least double the power & heat, 1/2 the runtime, yet you don't perceive it as twice as bright, just a little brighter.

You can see that on a U60 by changing the primary brightness to level 3 (30L), and switching between that and max (60L). 60L is double the power drain but only appears modestly brighter than 30L.

Based on that given the hypothetical choice between a U85 the same physical size or a shrunken U60 2/3 the size, I'd take the smaller one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have to worry about waking up or blind a spouse as I don't have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I swapped 0.3L with 42L to try out for a while. I rarely use 0.3L and also in my room and most areas of the house there's light from the moon or the street lamps. I'll see how 42L does as my replacement for 60L constant on. It should give 60minutes of regulated brightness. I'd like to keep 60L as max just in case and also to impress people.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I suppose I could use 0.3L to do reading in the dark, but I don't really do that lately.

Between a U85 or a 2/3size U60.. that's a tough one. I like bright but I also like slimmer size.

aceo07

Enlightened

Cool discoveries which I haven't seen mentioned... It is not necessary to do strictly 3 clicks to get to min brightness setting. Any number of clicks over 3 should get the job done.

The same goes for max brightness setting. Any number of clicks over 3 and then a press.

KenBar

Enlightened

Joema....for a "newbie" you are right on top of it with just about everything you said. You are not a newbie with your advice. You made excellent points that I constantly have to keep reminding myself.

VERY seldom do I need the ULTRA bright. At the same time, it is so nice to have it there when you need it.

My light should arrive tomorrow from Texas. I am thinking now what my settings will be.

Ace, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, when you do get a wife, you will realize the importance of no searing spotlights in the night.

It is most assuredly , positively, guaranteed to get you a black eye, severed finger, or at the very least...no noock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

This is a huge feature for me! LOL

Thanks for your discoveries...this is exactly what I was wanting in a "Tips and Tricks" common area. Keep them comming!!

LowWorm

Enlightened

How about a donut hole? Anybody notice that with their U60 (or other)? Only at very very close range, say an inch or less.

aceo07

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
LowWorm said:
How about a donut hole? Anybody notice that with their U60 (or other)? Only at very very close range, say an inch or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see it when it's less than an inch from my wall. It's the shadow created by the emitter. It's such a short distance that the light emitted isn't dispersed enough and getting to that tiny area straight in front of the emitter.

Anybody into photography and has a camera lens can just shine the light through the back of the lens and focus it onto a wall. By moving the flashlight away or closer to the lens opening you can see a projected image of what's inside the reflector. Pretty neat to see the details of the reflector. It is also possible to see an image of the emitter, though it is harder to focus on it. The image of the emitter is darker than the surrounding area of light. So that is what causes the donut you see from an extremely close distance.

I'll try to post an image of the projections later tonight if I get a chance.

Luxman

Enlightened

I use the lowest intensity level very often. I had seen the "flicker" only once. I tried a soft reset and it did not stop it..but..I THINK..after trying max brightness the flicker stopped...and hasn't happened since. Next time it occurs I will observe what stops it.

aceo07

Enlightened

Another observation: There's a buzzing sound when the battery is running too low for the current brightness. I noticed while on max and then a slightly louder short buzz sounded at the same time the brightness shifted down. Then the buzzing stopped.

I'm using R123.

aceo07

Enlightened

ahhhh.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I took it out for it's first real world test run. Definite purple tint. Very noticeable.. Purple against the sidewalk as I jogged. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Very heartbreaking after I got my hopes up after seeing most people reported having a pretty white tint.

Would I pay $50 for the GT version? Nah.. Too much for me to afford. Am I disappointed? Yea.. I'm picky and $180 is a lot to pay for purple on an otherwise awesome flashlight.

Anybody want to trade their whiter tint U60 for my purple tint U60? hehe

luxlover

Banned

ace,
You shouldn't give up and accept a purple tinted light! Call Henry at HDS, or write him an email. He will take care of this matter quickly, since your situation is an exception. I have never read anybody having a light with any objectionable color tint. He will replace it for you, I'm sure.

aceo07

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
ace,
You shouldn't give up and accept a purple tinted light! Call Henry at HDS, or write him an email. He will take care of this matter quickly, since your situation is an exception. I have never read anybody having a light with any objectionable color tint. He will replace it for you, I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard he's a nice guy. It'd be extremely nice if he did exchange it for something better as I don't have a U60GT..

There was a noticeable increase in purple when I was outside and the light was shined on the sidewalk. I was almost embarrassed to used it as it as so purple. Bright but purple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll see if I can contact Henry and ask him to replace it. Thanks for your confidence in him being about to help me out. Sure makes me feel better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aceo07

Enlightened

Here are a few photographs of the projected images from the reflector of my U60. Looks like a big donut, but it should make more sense after seeing them.

48240554.IMG_9164.jpg

Photograph of projection focused on the emitter and surrounding area.
48240556.IMG_9168.jpg

Photograph of the projection focused on middle of reflector.
48240555.IMG_9165.jpg

Photograph of the projection focused on the wide portion of reflector.

The purple ring makes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

*There were no edits to the colors. I just sharpened the photograph just a bit (not noticable) and shrink it down for hosting. Camera is a Canon Digital Rebel with 18-55mm lens. Light was projected through Canon 50mmf1.8 lens. Photographs were taken at 41mm f6.3 iso400 1/30s.