First Impressions of HDS U60 & Quirks/Qs/Comments

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a few outdoor beamshots and put them up on the gallery. I did these a little differently - I think this makes a bit more sense.

Pics are:
4 sec.
F2.0
WB=incandecent (tungsten)

Batteries were not changed on either light since the other beamshots.

I did use a tripod, but things are still a bit fuzzy since I spaced and rested my hand with the flashlight on the camera (duh). They still serve their purpose I think.

After the indoor beamshots, I decided I was going to carry the light with the UC lens and the mild diffuser. However, after playing with the light outside, I realized it really killed the throw. So, I switched to the stock UC lens with an F04 beamshaper. This works great most of the time, then I just take it off when I want some throw.

I also did not intend to leave the F0x rubber "armor" on the light -- I just did it to see if it would work. However, it has kind of grown on me and I find myself leaving it on. It is kind of nice for a couple of reasons.

First, I would prefer a bit more agressive knurling, and feel like the light isn't as secure in the hand as I'd like it to be. The rubber really makes it feel more secure and provides a bit more "bump" to grab onto.

Second, I found the rubber (esp. with the flat sides) makes a reasonable "bite" pad. It isn't comfortable for long periods of time since your mouth has to open pretty wide, but for quick hands free operation, it works really well.

Third, the light is more quiet when I set it on the dresser at night (I know this is a silly reason).

Fourth, the non-roll is nice, esp. because I don't use the clip.

Ok, some general impressions:

When I first got it, the light was a bit thicker than I expected. It was noticable when I took the E2e out of my pocket and dropped the U85 in there. However, I don't find it big enough to be an issue. Just a data point. W/o the E2e for immediate comparison, I completely forgot about it.

Anodizing on mine is very good. FWIW, the U60 I handled briefly was not as good (in terms of match).

I don't like the laser etch (?) on the side. I think it would be much nicer looking if there was smooth spot for the writing.

I really want a lanyard for the "waist" of this light. I'm going to have to think more on this, but it would be nice if there was a factory option available.

It would be nice if a pair of set-screws were provided with the clip in case you don't want to use the clip and you want that nicely finished look.

While it didn't take me long to figure out how to operate the light, I found the "latch" terminology on the quick reference card a bit mind boggling. On the other hand, I think it is a great idea to include the credit card sized little card.

I didn't look hard, but I didn't notice any documentation with the lens kit. Everything is pretty obvious, but a brief on-pager would be nice.

My clip screw holes *may* have a small punch-through. It is pretty hard to see in there to confirm one way or another. Henry said I could send it to him and he would inspect it and repair it if needed, but I'm already pretty attached to the light and don't want to send it away! I'm going to just install some 4-40 3/16" set screws with a touch of RTV. Y'all might want check yours before you dunk 'em, just in case.

Edit: As others have reported, my U85 has a bit of a hum. Normally, you don't hear it with normal usage, but if you hold it to your ear you can hear it. The frequency appears to change with the different levels and it is easier or less easy to hear at different levels. Doesn't bother me, but keep this in mind if these types of things bug you.

As others have reported with the current tailcap button, the feel is very pleasant and postive. I find my self clicking it just for fun.

Nitpicking aside, this light rocks! It is small, and check out those beamshots! It stands toe to toe with the benchark E2e on high and yet provides the benefits of a variable output light.

Thanks Henry!

-john

HDS Gallery

outside3-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Very nice review.

Question for you:
Will the F04 filter/beam shaper fit (on the business end of the light) with the clip installed? If I could get this, have it take the red filter AND do the 85 lumens with throw - man, that's my light! :takeit:

J.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please, tell us about the TINT!!!!!! It is more on the bluish side - neutral white or yellowish? Are you happy with it? How does it compare to the other luxeon lights you may have?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnJ80 said:
Question for you:
Will the F04 filter/beam shaper fit (on the business end of the light) with the clip installed? If I could get this, have it take the red filter AND do the 85 lumens with throw - man, that's my light! :takeit:

It fits ok. It is possible you might be able to squish it on there another .5mm if you didn't have the clip, but it seems fine to me. You can also put a beamshaper on the tail end with the clip in place w/o issue.

-john

f04_w_clip-1024x768.jpg

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Please, tell us about the TINT!!!!!! It is more on the bluish side - neutral white or yellowish? Are you happy with it? How does it compare to the other luxeon lights you may have?

My U85, sn#1341, is quite white. It is actually the most white of all my luxeons. I'm not a tint connoisseur, but I don't see any non-white shades in the beam. Perhaps they are there, but I don't see it.

For example, my KL1 is a bit greenish, and my L1 has a bit of a violet tint.

However, I assume the lottery is still in effect. Certainly the mere existance of the U85 GT suggests so.

-john

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think tint is subjective for each individual. The GT is more of a warm white than cool white. Non-GT lights that happen to lean towards the XO tint may seem more white than the GT to some people.

Last edited:

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
John N said:
My clip screw holes *may* have a small punch-through. It is pretty hard to see in there to confirm one way or another. Henry said I could send it to him and he would inspect it and repair it if needed, but I'm already pretty attached to the light and don't want to send it away! I'm going to just install some 4-40 3/16" set screws with a touch of RTV. Y'all might want check yours before you dunk 'em, just in case.

I was able to get a good look in the screw holes with the microscope at work and the spots did not appear to be punch-throughs. I got some canned air and was able to dislodge the particles. False alarm.

-john

lightplay22

Enlightened
Hi to all, This is my first post after lurking for a long time.

I just recieved my EDC basic 42GT today and have had it clipped to the bill of my cap for a few hours. Wonderful light I must say.

It seemed a little loose on my cap so I thought I'd mod it a little. Now I have a two piece clip! (It didn't like my pliers i guess)

Wondering where I could find another clip.

I bought the light from batterystation whose service is extremely good. Would they have the clips?

I think I would rather have an "old" style clip if I can get It.

Thanks

TorchMan

Enlightened
Last time I checked (a couple of days ago) he had the old style clips for $2 each at Battery Station.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for HDS Basic owners: does the light remember the brightness level it was turned off at, and turn on at that level, or does it always turn on at primary brightness? Is there any way the Basic versions can turn on at a brightness other than primary?

I think the Basic versions are always "force primary", but wanted to make sure.

aceo07

Enlightened
joema said:
Question for HDS Basic owners: does the light remember the brightness level it was turned off at, and turn on at that level, or does it always turn on at primary brightness? Is there any way the Basic versions can turn on at a brightness other than primary?

I think the Basic versions are always "force primary", but wanted to make sure.

Only the Ultimate version allows you to change the brightness setting you start on.

LowWorm

Enlightened
lightplay22 said:
Hi to all, This is my first post after lurking for a long time.

I think I would rather have an "old" style clip if I can get It.

Thanks

I've got an old style clip I have absolutely no use for...PM me your address and I'll send it to you for nothing.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
John N said:
In another thread, I suggested that you could probably make rubber "armor" for your EDC by taking the SF F0x beamshapers and push the lens out. Well, I got my U85 today and it works just fine.
Also, the tailcap button on mine is (almost) flush so I don't have a stand-on-tail problem, but for those who have the domed button, it appears this would solve the problem.

I found it somewhat amusing that in my sifting of old HDS posts, I found that Henry had suggested the exact same solution for the tailstanding issue in a post I missed, about a month earlier than I.

So much for originality!

-john

takeitotc

Newly Enlightened
I'm debating buying an EDS 42 or 60 vs. a SF L1. I know the EDS is much smaller, but in terms of throw and output I want the best bang for the buck. Can anyone help me make a decision?

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
May be, I have the U42 and and old style L1, the output / throw from the U42 is far better than the L1 (IMHO) and the choice of light output puts the L1 in the shade (sorry about the pun) in fact my wife now has the L1.

I bought the U42 as the U60's were difficult to get hold of, I'm very happy with the my U42 and would only upgrade it to somthing with more output than the U60 as their is not a great deal of difference between them.

I think you would be pleased with both, but if I were buying for the first time i would opt for the U60 if funds allow. I would not buy a Basic version of the EDC as it do's not allow you to customise the light.

Mark

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
I have a U42, an old style L1 and a new style L1. The new style L1 really throws and with a beamshaper really makes for a nice soft flood of light, great for reading on low.

All things considered I like the U42 more because it allows for more options and is quite a bit smaller but I have a soft spot for the L1 simply because it seems more robust and a bit simpler. I prefer the simple press soft for soft light press hard for bright light twist for constant on over the EDC's clicking routines.

I carry the U42 and think the basic 42 is a better bang for the buck then a Surefire L1 but the L1 is certainly not a crappy light, especially with a beam shaper that gives you the option of great throw for a LED or a nice soft flood.

Chris