First Impressions of HDS U60 & Quirks/Qs/Comments

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: First Impressions of HDS U60 & Quirks/Qs/Comme

Have any of you guys noticed how long a battery (Duracell Ultra) last in the lights? I've had several lights using the same type and none are even in the same class as the HDS!!

aceo07

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
lrp said:
Have any of you guys noticed how long a battery (Duracell Ultra) last in the lights? I've had several lights using the same type and none are even in the same class as the HDS!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have 1 Duracell battery, the one that came with the flashlight. If I had a stash of them I'd test it for you. I'm still in the stage of playing with the U60 so R123 is the best way for me right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aceo07

Enlightened

Random thought.. I saw a camping thread in the general flashlight forum and thought about the HDS EDC.

I've used my Inova XO for the last 2 winter hiking trips that went a couple of hours after dusk. A flashlight is a must for hiking as you never know when you underestimate your descent time and fall into darkness. While the HDS EDC is a really good flashlight, I think it need to be longer to be suitable for hiking. Longer for more substance to hold onto and not drop. It'd probably be tethered to me, but I need to feel like I have a nice firm grip on it. I've dropped the EDC (onto grass) a couple of times already this week. While hiking I'd never want anything to drop. It might fall into an area I can't reach or get to.

So, in conclusion, I hope the 2xCR123 and 2xAA battery extenders come out soon. Then it'd be perfect for hiking. Longer body with bright output and even longer runtimes. Please be not expensive too. Not as expensive as another flashlight, less than an Inova XO... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
...I saw a camping thread in the general flashlight forum and thought about the HDS EDC...I think it need to be longer...for more substance to hold onto and not drop. It'd probably be tethered to me...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the HDS EDC is a superb camping light -- variable output, yet 60L and good throw when you need it.

Depends on the type of camping/hiking, but variable output is really nice. These new high tech lithium/LED or xenon lights put out too much light for many nighttime camping scenarios. You want that output available, but not all the time. The lower output also gives much longer running time. The HDS is perfect in that regard.

As you said I think tethering may solve the dropping problem.

Also the HDS clip orientation allows attaching the light to a cap for a headlamp, often useful during camping.

aceo07

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
joema said:
[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
...I saw a camping thread in the general flashlight forum and thought about the HDS EDC...I think it need to be longer...for more substance to hold onto and not drop. It'd probably be tethered to me...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the HDS EDC is a superb camping light -- variable output, yet 60L and good throw when you need it.

Depends on the type of camping/hiking, but variable output is really nice. These new high tech lithium/LED or xenon lights put out too much light for many nighttime camping scenarios. You want that output available, but not all the time. The lower output also gives much longer running time. The HDS is perfect in that regard.

As you said I think tethering may solve the dropping problem.

Also the HDS clip orientation allows attaching the light to a cap for a headlamp, often useful during camping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree that it'd be great for camping.

As for hiking, I feel the HDS is a little short for a fully secure hold. The HDS is the length from my pinky to my index finger. Maybe a tiny bit longer so it still has some room to slide in my hand. A perfect grip on the HDS is always at the same position, completely in my palm, else doesn't feel as secure. With a longer flashlight, I could grip it at a slightly different position and still maintain good hold on it. Hiking at night requires that I pay attention to everything around me and keep moving before it gets much later. Not having to think about how I'm holding my flashlight or thinking that it might slide out of my hand is one less worry for me.

Camping is a little bit different. The surroundings are familar and not as dangerous. If it drops, it drops on flat ground and my attempt to recover it will be safe. It would be tethered during hikes, but if it drops it might distract me from other things.

It might not be as bad as I think. I have yet to take my 1 week old U60 hiking. I hope to not have to use it during a hike. It's generally not a good sign when you need to use a flashlight to complete a hike. It means you didn't start early enough or you didn't go fast enough or it's a really really long hike.

aceo07

Enlightened

There's a new review of the U60XR at flashlightreviews.com.

I wish he did a runtime for max brightness. There's only a runtime for the primary brightness setting.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! The overall output was greater than a SL TL-3 LED, SF E2, Mag 4D, and SL TT 3C.

Regulation was ruler flat to 11 hours on primary brightness. Very impressive.

Agreed would have been nice to see runtime chart at max brightness.

aceo07

Enlightened

Admitted it's probably a pain to test each of the 20 levels, but 60L, 42L, 30/20L would be nice to see.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

aceo07 said:
There's a new review of the U60XR at flashlightreviews.

I wish he did a runtime for max brightness. There's only a runtime for the primary brightness setting.

Under normal circumstances full brightness will not last very long until overheating will change back to a lower level.
Unlike you have you light submersed.

And, these lights are calibrated to have about the same brightness. That means on the other hand, that their runtimes vary.
It may even be, that the relative differences in between levels are different, that means that if you know that your light lasts 10% longer on the same level than another, this is not necessarly the same for other levels. But as much as I can guestimate, differences may not be large.

(and BTW, abbreviation for Lumen is 'lm')

aceo07

Enlightened
If he had a portable test setup he could move it in front of the air conditioner, if he has one.

I got about 30-32minutes on max with R123s and I'm curious to see what his U60XR gets on max.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I have reset my brightness levels (20 on this sample) to #1 for Minimum (lowest possible), #8 for Secondary, and left #15 and #20 (highest possible) for Primary and Max.

#1 is perfect for getting up in a pitch dark room and not blowing your night vision or waking the spouse. #8 is great for a step-up over #1, again without shocking the eyes too much. #15 seems to be an excellent balance of output and runtime.

Testing on Max, eh.... I could set it in a glass of icewater with just the lens poking out.... I'll give it some thought.

Note: I was told that 1 is actually the designated convention for Max and 20 is Min, so using that convention, my settings are 20, 13, 6, and 1 going from miniumum to max.

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
I think I've gotten the battery (R123) in my U60 almost drained. I'm now patiently waiting for it to blink. :) Never witnessed it before.

hhmm.. on second thought, it's probably going to take LOTS of patience before it blinks.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam said:
FYI, I have reset my brightness levels (20 on this sample) to #1 for Minimum (lowest possible), #8 for Secondary, and left #15 and #20 (highest possible) for Primary and Max...
I think level 1 is max brightness and level 20 is mininum....although this is merely a convention.

I also use the lowest level 20 for my minimum setting. It's nice to have such a low minimum setting -- saves your night vision.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your impressions, except for the tint bit - obviously that varies from light to light. The most annoying thing for me is that it's impossible to turn the light on and then go immediately to max - like you said, it turns off :(

I've EDCed mine a bit now and I've noticed a rattle develop in the switch. I have to shake the light to get this to happen. Does yours do this?

aceo07

Enlightened
You could just turn force setting option off. Unfortunately it's more useful to just have max in bursts rather than constant.

I haven't noticed any rattling at all. I've been playing with it constantly for the last week and the button jets up with time but no rattle.. Not from the battery or button.

KenBar

Enlightened
First of all...EXCELLENT review ( as usual ) .
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

My battery is not wearing out. I looked at the runtimes at the review and I see why. I am going to adjust my brightness levels to 1-8-15-20 as recommended above.

The new is not wearing off this flashlight.

What I need is a more elegant way to carry it. The clip sort of doesn't go with it ( for me ). I was going to have a friend try and make something but he is gone for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas how to put a lanyard on it in a more elegant manner?....something that is equal to the extreme excellence of the light itself. Any ideas?

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
I have use a clip hook on the hole in the U60 clip. The black finish does come off. Luckly it's only coming off at the hole area and not really anywhere else..

aceo07

Enlightened
I FINALLY got it to BLINK as part of the low power indicator. :)

It blinks every 2-3 seconds or some interval. Seems like a random timing to me but I'm not going to let it go on for too long. Don't want to kill my R123.