First Impressions of HDS U60 & Quirks/Qs/Comments

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenBar said:
Hmmmm...
How does it work? ... Do you have it?

I guess I am wondering if there is anything that uses the 2 screw holes and has a lanyard hole.
I don't have it, just noticed it. Looks like it would work OK.

KenBar

Enlightened
joema said:
I don't have it, just noticed it. Looks like it would work OK.

Got it ! I guess I will have to get one and see. I assume ( here we go again ) it is strong spring steel for $10. and fits the "smaller neck part" of the flashlight. Would it scratch? etc etc. I just know that someone has a "witty invention" for this otherwise perfect light... IMHO

ALSO

ANYONE buy one of the kydex holsters for it yet? I woud just buy one but they are a tad pricey just to sit in the drawer if I don't like. Do they work with the stock spring clip attached?

My main concern is losing the thing. It would really tick me off plus there is a security issue that would bite me if I lost it at work. I currently use one of the black Cordura "bags" that is 1.5 times as deep as the light and I fish it out with a lanyard.

It won't get lost, but it looks a little kludgy. It works PERFECTLY for my larger lights.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very strange thing happened to my XR 60 last night. I turned it on as usual, and after a while I tried to turn it off. You know how sometimes it goes into minimum (I guess level 20) for a fraction of a second and turns off, well this time it went down to minimum and STAYED on at minimum. I picked it up and looked at it and thought "this is strange". I hit the button a few times, I could access the primary, secondary and minimum settings but I couldn't turn it off - it would go to that 20th setting and stay on. I tapped the tailcap with my finger a couple of times and it turned off. This behaviour seems to be related to the 'rattle' I noticed above.

I was able to repeat that behaviour last night but today it seems to be OK... fingers crossed.

aceo07

Enlightened
I think in the manual it says that when the battery is at it's lowest, it will maintain minimum brightness for you. I think..

Maybe you should ask Henry and maybe send it in for a checkup..

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would still mantain its minimum brightness. The problem is more that the light doesn't turn off - instead of turning off it goes to the 20th setting and stays there. It's fine for the moment - I guess with a lifetime warranty I'm covered :) If the issue becomes more frequent I may get it checked out. The thing stopping me from doing it now is the exorbitant shipping cost and wait from Australia to the US and vice versa.

aceo07

Enlightened
Grox said:
I think it would still mantain its minimum brightness. The problem is more that the light doesn't turn off - instead of turning off it goes to the 20th setting and stays there. It's fine for the moment - I guess with a lifetime warranty I'm covered :) If the issue becomes more frequent I may get it checked out. The thing stopping me from doing it now is the exorbitant shipping cost and wait from Australia to the US and vice versa.

In the EdcUltimateUserGuide.pdf, page 10 paragraph 4, it states and I quote:
"Note: if your batteries have an excessively low voltage when you turn your light off, your light will delay turning completely off until the battery voltage has recovered sufficiently to enable it to turn back on. While waiting for your batteries to recover, the light will glow dimly."

Could this be what you're experiencing?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so. The cell (SF, exp 04-2013) measures at a good 2.54 volts. That's not excessively low to me - if I'm not mistaken, that puts it in the middle of the flat part of the dicharge curve. I've had no problems with other cells which I've drained lower than this voltage.

Maybe it drops a lot under load. But that wouldn't explain the 'turning off when I tap the tailcap' behavior.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Station have HDS 42 Basic GTs for $139! HDS website lists as $170....

Gotta get one before they run out....

aceo07

Enlightened
hmm.. I just tried the emergency strobe and it seems very BRIGHT. It's probably just an illusion. The flash is very short so it looks very white at the center. Has anybody got a brightness reading of this mode? Nevermind, it's probably just at max brightness of the flashlight. In my case, it'd be 60lumens.

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
I did my own runtime on 10lumens today and part of last night. Did 1:30hr last night and then 4:38hrs today. For ~6hrs on my R123 battery.

I just turned it on and shined again a nearby wall. To make sure that it didn't step down a level in brightness I did check every hour or 2 and restart the light and make sure the light didn't step down initially. It's the wall in front of my computer monitor, so I can see it in my peripheral vision.

Another test at 30lumens. A few minutes over 2hrs. Using same method as before.

Test at 42lumens, about ~1:15hrs.

In both tests I did play with flashlight for a few minutes before I did my tests. I know when it's done when it's steps down. Also if I restart it, it will try to step up to the level I want.

Last edited:

KenBar

Enlightened
I am still on my first battery for my EDC Ultimate 60XR.

I decided to try and burn it down yesterday. Still no luck.

BE CAREFULL if you do this.

I pointed it through the winshield at road signs. The bigger the sign, the bigger the effect. Because of the way it is designed, the whole sign LEAPS to life. I have not noticed this with my other lights.

I also took it out last night and tried to see how far it threw...as the battery is getting older. I could tell a small difference.

I then pointed it up into the night. ( I live WAY out in the boonies...nearest neighbor 7 miles, ).

IT SCARED THE TOTAL LIVING !!!!!!!!!!! out of me.
It caused little creatures of the night to "light up" as they flew into the beam.
It also caused BIG creatures of the night to light up as they ATE the little creatures that were illuminated in the beam.

ALL this happened 10 feet away from my head. I swear I could see their pointed little faces. Wierd..Wierd...Wierd....

I got goose bumps the size of watermellons.

Bats totally wierd me out.

I never realized we had so many out here.

There ended my test.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime test on "Maximum" is now in progress.... Results coming soon.

(EDIT)

Here you go:

hds_edcu60xr_max.gif

Completed with BatteryStation cell.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a kydex holster that I bought along with my U60 from Jimsflashlights.com and it is very nice and secure. I just wore the light hunting today and it was just as secure as it was when I put it in.
My original batter is still going strong though it is now testing at 40%, I actually thought my ZTS tester was malfunctioning because it tested the battery at 100% forever.
I can't believe how long a battery last in these lights!!

KenBar

Enlightened
lrp said:
I have a kydex holster that I bought along with my U60 from Jimsflashlights.com and it is very nice and secure. I just wore the light hunting today and it was just as secure as it was when I put it in.
My original batter is still going strong though it is now testing at 40%, I actually thought my ZTS tester was malfunctioning because it tested the battery at 100% forever.
I can't believe how long a battery last in these lights!!
------------------------------------------------

Hello Irp!!!
Thank goodness someone bought one.
Could you tell me more about it?
What size did you buy? I think there are 2.
Why did you buy that size?
Does it allow you to keep the stock clip on it?
Is is easy to remove? You mentioned that it was secure.
Is it worth the $50 bucks?

THANKS for info!!!

KenBar

Enlightened
My machine locked up...it posted twice. I haven't figured out how to delete post yet. I have a bug somewhere that I haven't figured a work around for.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kenbar, I bought the large because I figured it would hold the light better but I'm not for sure as I haven't seen the smaller one. The large kydex holster is very secure and has a Tek Lok for securing to your belt, etc; You can leave the light clip on or off as it doesn't matter.
In my view, the holster is the best method for carrying the light edc. Is it worth $50, actually mine cost $39 from Jimsflashlights.com and it was worth every penny. I know the guy who actually makes them, David Brown, and he also makes kydex gun & knife holsters and he is very, very good at his craft.
These HDS lights really do amaze me, I will be going another one very soon.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that the light is very secure in the holster and won't come out unless you make it, you can adjust the tension of the holster with the screws that attach it to the TEk-Lok. I don't worry about the light falling out of the custom holster.

KenBar

Enlightened
Thanks Urp!

I guess I will have to get one. I was going to gamble on the large but now I feel better about getting it.

Yes, this light is sweet. My light FINALLY started stepping down today. It is still bright enough to use just fine.

I am going to start on my Battery Station batteries now. I don't expect them to be as good as the one that came with it, but the price was right for them.

I still am glad I got the 60XR model.
I only have one concern, but not a worry. How long will the button keep on clicking? I would love to know the story of its design.

ALSO

Nice chart Quickbeam. Any idea how long the lowest setting lasts.
Also, I wonder if the chart would be influenced by intermittent use.
I think I got longer time than you showed, but I used mine intermittently.
I was wondering if that made a difference ... or the XR made it longer?

aceo07

Enlightened
Random thought...

It would be nice if:
1. It was possible to go directly to max brightness from start by pressing the button. It would only need to be for momentary light. Going to primary and then waiting 0.5 seconds before going to max isn't fast enough. Neither is turning off force setting and presetting to max for rare times.

Has anybody tried...
1. Modifying the HDS EDC in any way? Besides buying HDS parts..
2. Making a battery extender? The flashlight can take from 1.8v to 7.3v so it just need a longer tube, right?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
aceo07 said:
Random thought...
Has anybody tried...
1. Modifying the HDS EDC in any way? Besides buying HDS parts..

AFAIK, the only thing I'd consider a "mod" is AW's replacement, beamshaper lens. FWIW, if i was Henry, I'd source AW's lens. Great idea and good alternative.

2. Making a battery extender? The flashlight can take from 1.8v to 7.3v so it just need a longer tube, right?

I haven't taken an EDC apart but it seems like this would be pretty feasable.

-john