HDS Second and Final 4000k Group Buy interest thread.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m wanting to jump on one of these but would like a good or a few good honest opinions on the cerakote before I jump. Originally it was going to be orange but now I m leaning toward the magpul olive drab vs HA. I love the olive and think this would be great for the 18680 tube as well as the 123... But have seen where the cerakote doesn't last or perform near as well or long as the HA... I know the HA will outlast the cerakote but is the cerakote worth paying the extra money vs the HA? Shame there isn't an olive green HAIII

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m wanting to jump on one of these but would like a good or a few good honest opinions on the cerakote before I jump. Originally it was going to be orange but now I m leaning toward the magpul olive drab vs HA. I love the olive and think this would be great for the 18680 tube as well as the 123... But have seen where the cerakote doesn't last or perform near as well or long as the HA... I know the HA will outlast the cerakote but is the cerakote worth paying the extra money vs the HA? Shame there isn't an olive green HAIII
One thing that might make your decision easier, Cerakote for CR123 bodies only.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm guess it's meant to be then! Thanks for that. Is this currently HAIII or II? Either way it will work and I ll work on the cerakote later. Gives me time to do the research.

JKolmo

Enlightened
Thanks for arranging this Hogo! I'm in as follows:

1. Rotary

2. 18650 tube

3. Flush Tail

4. Black bezel

5. Two of those flood reflectors ! (If ever available prior to shipping...)

6. No holster.

Please include insurance.

Intl shipping $26

Total $400

nbp

Flashaholic
Hypothetically speaking..... since the Blue Cerakote lights have not been built yet, a 4000k could still be put into one.... right?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone able to tell me how the flat dark Earth on a 123 will hold up and is this the newer tougher cerakote that was mentioned? Thinking of a rotary 123 with an extended tail. Thoughts?

doctordun

Enlightened
Having second thought about the cerakote.
I keep going back to the thread that shows the Orange Cerakote wearing off with hardly any use.
At this price, I would not like a coating that doesn't wear well.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m on the same boat doc! I have no experience with cerakote... Orange isn't the color for this light for me. Of green has that rugged look and fde... Would go well with being worn soooooo back to the idea of a black on black or black with silver stainless bezel 18680 rotary with the extended tail... Decisions decisions!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any coating will not wear as well as HAIII, which is what HDS lights are.
Yes, I own Cerakoted HDS lights, but they are not my daily carry lights. I would personally skip the Cerakote if you are worried about wear. It is the best coating out there, but is still a coating. I have a few firearms as well that are Cerakoted, and it will wear with use. It's just the nature of the beast. The higher gloss Cerakote will be more durable than the flat colors as well. Learned that from the Cerakote shop that HDS now uses.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
1. Clicky - $325.00 + $5.80 shipping
2. 123 body
3. Extended tail
4. Black Bezel
5. No Accessories
6. No Holster
Total - $330.80

Thanks

Removed the cerakote from order. Chickened out of the bright orange. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Cerakote is not as tough as HA, that is for sure, but if applied correctly it is pretty tough. I had built a Solarforce p60 light for a friend a couple years ago and I had it cerakoted and it has held up very well. She is not easy on her stuff and has used it camping as well as banging around in ceilings doing some part time HVAC work. The wear appears to be about what I would expect even from HA. I will have to post some pics I had her send me.

rumack

Enlightened
This sounds tempting. How would the output of this compare to the HDS 170 Neutral? I'm guessing the 4000K XP-L would be noticeably brighter with a larger, more diffuse hot spot. How does the tint compare to the 170N? If I got an 18650 tube with the 4000K XP-L, the tube would be thread compatible with the 170N head, correct?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds tempting. How would the output of this compare to the HDS 170 Neutral? I'm guessing the 4000K XP-L would be noticeably brighter with a larger, more diffuse hot spot. How does the tint compare to the 170N? If I got an 18650 tube with the 4000K XP-L, the tube would be thread compatible with the 170N head, correct?

There are some comparison photo's in the first 4000k run thread. The 4000k is warmer than the 170 but you are correct on the brightness and the hot spot. It puts out 325 lumens. Thread pattern is the same as the 170N so tubes are interchangeable.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I bought Tripmillers HDS 4000K XP-L from the first run. It's now on the way to Switzerland. And I'm looking forward to receiving it. Therefore I'd like to cancel my participation here. Hogo, thank for coordinating these group buys.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tripmillers HDS Rotary 4000K arrived today. It's a very nice tint. And very bright. This is going to be my favourite flashlight.

Doug

Enlightened
I'm still thinking about it..... I guess the only real question is..... Flat or protruding button..... Oh, on
Y the regular retry is available, not the multiple position/mode rotary?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok Hogo, I m in:
Tactical (Rotary tactical) $325
18650 tube $ 49

Extended tail switch

Black bezel

Shipping $27

rumack

Enlightened
Thanks Hogo, I had missed the comparison photos in the first 4000k run thread. The timing isn't the best for me - I spent a ton on fireworks this year :D - but this light sounds sweet. I'm about 90% sure that I'm in. I have a question on the holsters - I will be getting a rotary with a flush tail, probably with the 18650 tube, but I think I want the holster to be sized for the CR123 tube with a horizontal spare battery holder, open top. Will an 18650 tube rotary be secure in a holster for a CR123 tube? I'm guessing it will but I wanted to be sure. Right now I'm leaning toward the dark green leather with dragon scales - is that color/configuration still available?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Hogo, I had missed the comparison photos in the first 4000k run thread. The timing isn't the best for me - I spent a ton on fireworks this year :D - but this light sounds sweet. I'm about 90% sure that I'm in. I have a question on the holsters - I will be getting a rotary with a flush tail, probably with the 18650 tube, but I think I want the holster to be sized for the CR123 tube with a horizontal spare battery holder, open top. Will an 18650 tube rotary be secure in a holster for a CR123 tube? I'm guessing it will but I wanted to be sure. Right now I'm leaning toward the dark green leather with dragon scales - is that color/configuration still available?

The standard 123 holster will secure the 18650 no problem.
Oh, yes. The dark green with dragon scales is pretty popular. Nice choice.