HDS Systems EDC #21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy to oblige. The 4500K is markedly cooler and rosier than it's 4000K sibling. Both are 219b, of course. Overall, the 4500K appears brighter and holds it's own next to the 5700K, although the latter takes on a funky green algae color when you cross the beams. Not recommended. I swapped out bezels and am now running a silver bezel on the 4500K, so I might have gained five or six lumens.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also ordered a spare clicky tail cap from an HDS dealer. This one came with the plastic white disc on the inner surface of the button. Is there any consensus on what that's for? None of the ones I received directly from HDS have the white disc.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it. There's no perfect flashlight, just as there's no perfect chair, automobile, or hat. Still, the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected. I reinstalled the black bezel. This is my first flashlight purchase that has satiated my need for edc gear, whereas most other edc type gear is petrol on the fire. It could be a long while before I buy another light.

What can top this? Red metal? Maybe.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first flashlight purchase that has satiated my need for edc gear, whereas most other edc type gear is petrol on the fire. It could be a long while before I buy another light.

I thought the same thing when I got my first HDS, and it did for a while. Then you know what I wanted? Another HDS. Then another, and another. Sometimes when one fire is quenched, another takes it place :)

Congrats on your new light, enjoy it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it.

:) so happy for you, I hope the honeymoon lasts forever
your 2700 and 4500 sound like a nice melange...

can you help confirm the factory preset modes on your 4500, are they levels 8-16-20-24, like the exec250, or different?
and, do you have a favorite Customized preset group?

note re 140 model, Lithium reports it is set to level 20, not 19,
my 140 executive came from factory with B as level 16, C level 20, A 24 and D...I'm not sure and don't want to do a factory reset right now!)

summary of Factory presets:
29186023357_3c0447aca4_b.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Oh no.....! This can only mean one thing mr flame, you do actually need a second one. Back up for potential theft or loosing. When something hits the spot perfect , 1 of .......is simply not enough :poke:

:p

d13avo

Enlightened
Oh no.....! This can only mean one thing mr flame, you do actually need a second one. Back up for potential theft or loosing. When something hits the spot perfect , 1 of .......is simply not enough :poke:

Lol

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it. There's no perfect flashlight, just as there's no perfect chair, automobile, or hat. Still, the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected. I reinstalled the black bezel. This is my first flashlight purchase that has satiated my need for edc gear, whereas most other edc type gear is petrol on the fire. It could be a long while before I buy another light.

Well, there is an 83% chance you will be getting another HDS...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you help confirm the factory preset modes on your 4500, are they levels 8-16-20-24, like the exec250, or different?
and, do you have a favorite Customized preset group?

Yes, the factory settings are 8, 16, 20, 24. I like burst mode because this grants access to level 23 as well.

In my 4000K, I run levels 6, 14, 20, 24.

Not sure if this will be permanent, but in the 4500K, I've chosen 8, 16, 21, and 24.

You know what's funny, Ven? Lying awake last night and toying around with it, I hit upon this very same thought...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't realized there was so much variation in the N219b family. My first Nichias were from brand M and the tint is decidedly purple, like someone shot Barney and smeared his guts on the world. I was not impressed. Next was the 4000K from HDS. This one is straight up yellow, like don't-eat-the-yellow-snow yellow. This 4500K is rosy, like the pretty pictures on the internet. It's a color that does occur in nature sometimes near dawn or dusk when the conditions are right.

ven

Flashaholic
You know what's funny, Ven? Lying awake last night and toying around with it, I hit upon this very same thought...

Yep, being a flashaholic plays a strong part.

I have many nichia's in many flavours, generally from 4000k up to 5700k(majority 4-5k which is my preference). I have noticed for example, the 219b 9080 is not as rosy(if at all ) in a triple, the 219c 4k is quite yellow in a triple, yet reflector nothing like or as much yellow(still there but not as obvious). So reflectors, optics can all play a part on altering the tint as well as maybe batches of. The 219b 4500k is a very nice all rounder for me, by that, i can use day or night time without feeling too cold or too warm.

Enjoy your very special light, HDS as with a handful of other lights are not just a tool imo, they are part of an occasion when used. Feels special in hand, something more than just a flashlight.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there were a such thing as flashlight Nirvana, I've found it. There's no perfect flashlight, just as there's no perfect chair, automobile, or hat. Still, the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected.

I agree 100%. Henry has made an awesome edc light that is exceptionally high quality by every measure with the ability for the user to customize the lumen levels and features. Add to that probably the best high CRI LED emitters on the market today - 219b 4500K R9080 and 219b 4000K R9050 - and you have an outstanding light. Nothing that I have used in the last five years even comes close.

(That probably explains why I also have six Thors Hammer Custom Leather holsters to carry my HDS lights ;-)).

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the HDS executive R9080 4500K with the white disc under the flush button and the accidental black bezel is the closest thing to perfection that can reasonably be expected.

A red version, a blue version, and a silver version of aluminum. If that is not too difficult to pull off and Henry thinks it will work out okay.

(Edit add: I seem to remember that this idea was proposed years ago and Henry vetoed it. He probably had a very good reason).

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size is the smaller, wispy little O-ring inside the clicky tail cap? The other three (head, waist, and tail) appear to be the same size. From the manual: 1.5mm x 20.5mm, 70 durometer Nitrile (Buna-N). Didn't find any specs on the small one.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting tidbit: The little O-ring in the tail cap is the same size as the small O-ring that comes with a Malkoff VME head. Still not sure what size that is but it is nice to have back ups.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is this O ring?
I can't find one in either of my clickies.
P

It fills the pocket clip groove. I believe they are the same size as the lens o rings. I once asked Henry for an external o ring and two lens o-rings when I purchased a reflector and I received 3 o-rings that looked the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.