HDS Systems EDC #21

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Hogo-
Any chance for a little clue about what the upcoming warmer emitter option will be?

I know the 219s are ludicrously popular these days and for good reason, but I think the good old XP-G2 is actually really good in warmer tints and higher CRIs like 80+ or 85+
doesn't really need to be 90+ CRI.

I wouldn't argue with a 90+ CRI option for sure. Some of my favorite lights happen to be in the 80-85 range, and honestly I think CRI doesn't tell the whole story. I actually think some lights that score lower on CRI may actually do better when scored on CQS versus some lights that have higher CRI scores.

I don't have equipment to test that theory...
Just my feelings based on use and comparison...

indigon

Enlightened
It's because they have been working on the Optisolis. Currently, they are not bright enough, but Nichia is working on the possible release of a high powered one hopefully sometime next year. They are estimating 99-100 CRI. I read a paper on them in Japanese (Hogo has bizarre skills). Will it become a reality? I don't know. Obviously Nichia thinks it will.

I can't even begin to imagine what's going to be available in a few years.. One thing is for certain, the future looks "bright".

toads

Newly Enlightened
Wishing the coming ti rotary was 18350 friendly. That would be pretty bright.

If and when the 18350 tube does come out, it will likely be black and aluminum. No fun.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo-
Any chance for a little clue about what the upcoming warmer emitter option will be?

I know the 219s are ludicrously popular these days and for good reason, but I think the good old XP-G2 is actually really good in warmer tints and higher CRIs like 80+ or 85+
doesn't really need to be 90+ CRI.

I wouldn't argue with a 90+ CRI option for sure. Some of my favorite lights happen to be in the 80-85 range, and honestly I think CRI doesn't tell the whole story. I actually think some lights that score lower on CRI may actually do better when scored on CQS versus some lights that have higher CRI scores.

I don't have equipment to test that theory...
Just my feelings based on use and comparison...

For now it will be the 9080 4000k in the bronze and brass run. Will see how many we have left over after the 14th, and then put those up for aluminum, if any are left. May be a month or two after that before another becomes available that is warm.

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on the purchase! My father has one just like that and it is a gem!

Welcome to the tribe. Be careful as they are like potato chips and it's almost impossible to have just one.

Thanks! Seems like a nice tribe as well as nice lights.

Need for caution noted. For now, "only one". When the piggy bank refills... well, I'm sure I'll use some self control :whistle:

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to share my observations about batteries lifepo4. I read that they are not recommended, but still decided to try on an evening walk. I inserted and went, turning on the light at full brightness (I was wondering how quickly the energy was exhausted). The flashlight burned for a long time, and then he began to quickly descend through the levels, when he became below level 16, then it suddenly go out. I clicked on the button and more and more - zero reaction for about 5-10 minutes. Then the flashlight still lit and burned at a low level and soon the battery died.

Perhaps this picture will explain this, the energy is exhausted very quickly and the flashlight thought that the battery had died completely?
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/hipowerye/media/bWVkaWFJZDozNzUyMzM5NQ==/?ref=

I put the usual 16340 and the flashlight worked fine again.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the flashlight thought that the battery had died

yes, the battery was completely drained.
When an HDS starts stepping down, it is reporting that the battery needs to be replaced.

LiFePO4 run for about 90% of their capacity at near constant power, and the last 10% drops quickly and then shuts off, just as you experienced.

HDS does not have any Overdischarge Protection for 3.2v Primary batteries, it wants to just drain 3.2v LiFePO4 completely, like it does with a 3.2v Primary

42354608010_cbac209ff9_b.jpg

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been playing around with my new to me HDS for a little while. Trying to play around with programming but I have NO rum...... I want the lowest low setting possible. Not too hard to get into programming mode on this one. Fun times. Can tell this light is amazing.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been playing around with my new to me HDS for a little while. Trying to play around with programming but I have NO rum...... I want the lowest low setting possible. Not too hard to get into programming mode on this one. Fun times. Can tell this light is amazing.

Which one did you get?

Lithium466

Enlightened
What is the point of LiFe batteries (in a light like the HDS)? They are closer to CR123A (for lights that uses 2 CR123A) ? They seem to have a really low capacity compared to regular 16340. Maybe they are safer too, but compared to IMR ? This is a genuine question, just curious here.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the point of LiFe batteries (in a light like the HDS)? They are closer to CR123A (for lights that uses 2 CR123A) ? They seem to have a really low capacity compared to regular 16340. Maybe they are safer too, but compared to IMR ? This is a genuine question, just curious here.

I wouldn't say really low by comparison. The protected AW 750mAh 16340 that people seem to like tests at about 500mAh under HDS loads (<1A), while I can't remember the exact results I did test some K2 Enenrgy 16340 LiFe batteries rated at 600mAh and they performed quite well.
I believe they are a potentially safer chemistry and don't use a protection circuit.
Tested one in an HDS set to CR123 and it ran really well although it was mildly low on voltage once the low battery indication kicked in (older firmware ACME threads).
I use the Fenix 700mAh 16340 in HDS which actually tests just over that, I'm pretty happy with them.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the greatest but here's a quick shot with my Burt Foster blue collar wilderness hunter and a few others. The mod was an xpg2 by Vinh.

That ended up way too fuzzy. I'll take more tomorrow.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Very nice, you liking bigburly? I find the love gets stronger as time goes by..................

Lithium466

Enlightened
Why isn't there a white plastic disc under the rubber boot of the rotary? Now that I compare both clicky and rotary side by side, the button of the clicky is much "crisper", better feel, easier activation (don't bring the raised button please). Or maybe I just have a bad feeling rotary switch cause I didn't remembered so much difference.
Is it because of the rotary action? What if someone were to put a plastic disc under a rotary boot?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Virence has new stock of 219b 4500K R9080 high CRI LEDs in stock. After several days of use I have found this HDS LED emitter the cleanest, least tint, and highest CRI LED on the market today. I also highly recommend this emitter for high CRI. These are the best of the best. I may need another one of these HDS lights as a back-up.

(Owner of Virence is going on vacation starting August 25th).

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I have read some reports of a rosy tint from the 9080 219b, but on my samples they are quite clean in tint. This I do like generally, mainly as it does not interfere with lighter colours. 4500k is also bang in the middle of my preferences ,4K to 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.